Lori Ritchie

Rank 0

Contributor I

Cincinnati, OH, USA
First Name
Lori
Last Name
Ritchie
Bought a 4Runner today. Tent rack is next on the list, but am concerned about insurance issues. Have been watching overland YouTube stuff for months in prep, but haven't heard this issue addressed yet. Any suggestions for info or can someone explain the issues to be aware of? TY!

Specter

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Northern VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Pukish
Member #

I actually just had a conversation about insurance with my wife this afternoon. I’ve got two questions I need to ask my insurance company. The first is whether I can, or need, to increase my coverage based on the additional investments into my rig. I’m not so concerned with small damage while on the trail, I’m worried about getting hit on the roads and having it totaled. I’m north of 25k into the rig and still have more to do. Is it a total loss of that investment if my rig is hit and totaled? The other question is whether I can designate my rig as something other than a normal passenger vehicle, given it is not a daily driver and used only for expeditions. I know there are designations such as ‘farm use only’, ‘specialty vehicle’, etc. but I have no idea what the parameters are for such titles, nor if my rig will fit into any of those categories. My guess is that I’d lose the investments if my rig is totaled and that I have to maintain coverage as a normal passenger vehicle - but it’s worth asking.

Specter

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Northern VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Pukish
Member #

Bought a 4Runner today. Tent rack is next on the list, but am concerned about insurance issues. Have been watching overland YouTube stuff for months in prep, but haven't heard this issue addressed yet. Any suggestions for info or can someone explain the issues to be aware of? TY!
Congrats on the 4runner!

Lori Ritchie

Rank 0

Contributor I

Cincinnati, OH, USA
First Name
Lori
Last Name
Ritchie
My main concern is, if accidents off-road will be covered. Even thugh 4Runner is built specificallly for off-road, I'm guessing they won't be. An even bigger concern is if damage off road will void my warranty. Would think these answers would be readily available since everyone in the community has had to deal with them . but I've found next to nothing in forums or Google searches. Really appreciate any answers. Really want to have some inside info before I start calling ins companies. Thank you!

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

In my experience with geico, and state farm no they will not cover anything that happens offroad. If yours does let me know who you have so i can switch. Best i can do is thoroughly wash the rig and say it happened on the highway. If your still under warranty it should cover as long as you havent modified anything thas covered under warranty. Alot of them will void warranty for larger tires, lifts, wheel spacers etc even if you dont go offroad. I voided my warranty as soon as i took my colorado off the lot but im my mechanic so no biggie for me.

Last edited:

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I actually just had a conversation about insurance with my wife this afternoon. I’ve got two questions I need to ask my insurance company. The first is whether I can, or need, to increase my coverage based on the additional investments into my rig. I’m not so concerned with small damage while on the trail, I’m worried about getting hit on the roads and having it totaled. I’m north of 25k into the rig and still have more to do. Is it a total loss of that investment if my rig is hit and totaled? The other question is whether I can designate my rig as something other than a normal passenger vehicle, given it is not a daily driver and used only for expeditions. I know there are designations such as ‘farm use only’, ‘specialty vehicle’, etc. but I have no idea what the parameters are for such titles, nor if my rig will fit into any of those categories. My guess is that I’d lose the investments if my rig is totaled and that I have to maintain coverage as a normal passenger vehicle - but it’s worth asking.
Whatever you do dont register for farm use, aleast here in tx your only allowed to travel like 20 something miles from your farm unless you have multiple farm properties and your not allowed on the highway. Ive never heard of any special designation like your asking about, all the rock crawlers and off road racers n stuff all are prepared to fix it themselves or scrap it.