Insurance options

• HTML tutorial

TacomaDave

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Hello, I just bought a brand new truck and I’m nervous to take it off-road because Geico won’t cover any damage incurred off the pavement. What do you all use for insurance?
Who said Geico won't cover it? I took a 2016 Camry off-road (long story). I ended up denting the oil pan and bending the oil pick-up line. Plus extensive body damage. I was out in the boonies of Arizona with no cell service and no traffic. I had no choice but drive it to the nearest town with the engine knocking. I called the Geico hotline and they had a tow truck there within the hour to take it to the nearest city. It cost over $20,000 to fix but they never batted an eye. They didn't even raise my rate. I was totally honest with the rep.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Who said Geico won't cover it? I took a 2016 Camry off-road (long story). I ended up denting the oil pan and bending the oil pick-up line. Plus extensive body damage. I was out in the boonies of Arizona with no cell service and no traffic. I had no choice but drive it to the nearest town with the engine knocking. I called the Geico hotline and they had a tow truck there within the hour to take it to the nearest city. It cost over $20,000 to fix but they never batted an eye. They didn't even raise my rate. I was totally honest with the rep.
WOW.....I surprised it wasn't a totalled...write off, once the extent of the damage was known. New engine/labor was probably $14,000 of that 20 grand. Body work/labor probably took another big chunk.
They must have been feeling generous. That cost had to have been above the depreciation point. Rental??? Or Personal car???? Or was it insured to the hilt with GAP INSURANCE?
Which ever, or what, your lucky,...very lucky it worked out for you. I think most of us would have been left holding the bag. I imagine this thread could easily be filled with horror stories.

TacomaDave

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

WOW.....I surprised it wasn't a totalled...write off, once the extent of the damage was known. New engine/labor was probably $14,000 of that 20 grand. Body work/labor probably took another big chunk.
They must have been feeling generous. That cost had to have been above the depreciation point. Rental??? Or Personal car???? Or was it insured to the hilt with GAP INSURANCE?
Which ever, or what, your lucky,...very lucky it worked out for you. I think most of us would have been left holding the bag. I imagine this thread could easily be filled with horror stories.
It was my personal car and I was kinda hoping they would total it. I'm OCD about knowing my car is not 100% how it left the factory. It was the XSE fully loaded model so worth quite a bit more than 20 grand at the time. Long story short..don't trust the Toyota navigation system too far.

095467ca1847d49bd002e16c4522735f.jpg

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
It was my personal car and I was kinda hoping they would total it. I'm OCD about knowing my car is not 100% how it left the factory. It was the XSE fully loaded model so worth quite a bit more than 20 grand at the time. Long story short..don't trust the Toyota navigation system too far.

View attachment 92149
My Mom has a 2010 Toyota Highlander, with the navigation system, and it is too complicated to use on a regular basis, with the systems features.
Instead, a GARMIN has that honor. First for years a 1090 NUVI, and recently a 1360?, with ALL the goodies. It has a dash cam,lane assist, lane departure, traffic, braking/stop alert etc.
It is user intuitive....meaning, you can figure out how to use it, without the deep SAT type study. This,...unlike the Toyota Manuel that is almost 1 inch thick, as a separate book from the owners manual.

Reactions: TacomaDave