Sisters, Deschutes County, Oregon, United States
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Nygren
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7KJK
I am sure some of you have already hit the same hurdle I have as I go through trying to update my insurance policy to better cover my non-stock Toyota FJ40.

I completely understand why you should not offer up a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ recommendation for any insurance company, but I am looking to see if anyone has solved the old and modified 4x4 conundrum?

I did check with Hagerty and while they would insure my 1978 FJ40V, but since it has been modified beyond stock they took a pass. Most insurance companies will only insure it for low KBB without allowing for me to add any appraised value to the vehicle.

If you have any thoughts, suggestions, comments, or otherwise I would really appreciate your input. In advance, thank you!

Wyotroutguy

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Utah
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

I’m with State Farm and my 1st gen tundra is insured for 50k they just asked for a list of aftermarket items with price. Wasn’t a hassle at all

eriefisher

Rank III

Advocate I

Southern Ontario, Canada
First Name
Dan
Last Name
LaForme
Might be different below the border but anything up here in Ontario 20+ years old needs to be appraised. Mostly for taxes when registering. As far as insurance, they usually have some sort of policy to cover antique, modified or some other title based on the appraisal. Now, as far as off road vehicles, it is possible to insure them for normal road going use without too much trouble. For off road use it would need to be insured as a pleasure vehicle like a snowmobile or side by side etc. Coverage would be different in each application but I'm sure then can overlap. If you insured your new(to you) vehicle as stock then did all the wild modification and not mentioned this to the insurer you may run the risk of voiding your policy. However, if the insurer is aware and reassessed the policy then there should be no problem.

My personal insurance is pretty reasonable for anything I own/drive. Well below the "national average". I do get a significant increase by just going to 4x4. Even with a car I owned recently, a Dodge Magnum SXT. There was about a 15-20% increase because it was AWD. Now for me that doesn't amount to much since my premiums are quite low but for some it could be a game changer.

Reactions: ruralpunk

T. Stanley

Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep Kansas
Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

I am insured with progressive through a local agent that insures my house and vehicles, when I inquired about extra coverage for upgrades and accessories, all I had to do was give him a figure of the value, compile an itemized list with purchse price and keep the receipts, oh and pay a little extra per year for the extras on my Tacoma

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

I did check with Hagerty and while they would insure my 1978 FJ40V, but since it has been modified beyond stock they took a pass. Most insurance companies will only insure it for low KBB without allowing for me to add any appraised value to the vehicle.
That’s odd I thought Hagerty’s focus was on classic and hot rod vehicles and not your daily drivers. I have a Model A that is insured by them that’s anything but stock and they insured it up to a value that I specified.

Glacierdog

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Sisters, Deschutes County, Oregon, United States
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Nygren
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7KJK
That’s odd I thought Hagerty’s focus was on classic and hot rod vehicles and not your daily drivers. I have a Model A that is insured by them that’s anything but stock and they insured it up to a value that I specified.
As I found out, my modifications; large tires, non Toyota motor, transmission and transfer case along with upgraded brakes translated into an "Off-road-able" vehicle, not necessarily a classic show vehicle.

As my beloved FJ has sky rocketed in value vs what I originally paid for it and now warrants better coverage via an insurance policy. So frustrating.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
They'll insure your daily drivers as well but the cost is quite high. That's why my XJ isn't insured though them but my CJ5 is.

Motomikeca

Rank VIII
Investor

Expedition Master II

Atwater, Merced County, California, United States
First Name
Mike&Jen
Last Name
Keith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Motomikeca
I am sure some of you have already hit the same hurdle I have as I go through trying to update my insurance policy to better cover my non-stock Toyota FJ40.

I completely understand why you should not offer up a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ recommendation for any insurance company, but I am looking to see if anyone has solved the old and modified 4x4 conundrum?

If you have any thoughts, suggestions, comments, or otherwise I would really appreciate your input. In advance, thank you!
Have you checked with American Modern? I have a Plymouth GTX and Ford Model A with them. Very reasonable pricing. I hope with helps

Attachments

Reactions: MarioT'sCJResto

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I have run Farmer's Insurance for 40+ years. I have full coverage with $500 deductable on my 1985 Jeep Cherokee with a stated value of $25,000 of upgrades. It runs me around $600 a year with uninsured motorist. I have my trailer insured on a stated value of $25,000 and it runs around $140 a year.

Reactions: MarioT'sCJResto