Southern California - San Fernando Valley
First Name
John
Last Name
Lechuga
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5JKL
Definitely been meaning to pick one of these up mainly for sos / sat com purposes, so t feel like I would need the GPS functions on a handheld.

Is there a consensus best place to pick one up?
My wife bought one for me off my Amazon Wish list last Christmas and got a pretty good deal... but if I had to buy one myself, I would probably buy one here on OB (do a search, I thought I saw one the other day), or Ebay and save a little on the used market.

Marty

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Phippsburg, Maine
Member #

Just purchased a unit for satellite coverage for six week cross country trip, will be out of cell range at least half the time. Wanted SOS, coms and redundant GPS. Bluetooth a plus to visualize maps while driving.

Obi-Juan

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

First Name
John
Last Name
Lechuga
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5JKL
DeLorme or Garmin...?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
I prefer the original Delorme InReach footprint over that of the new Garmin InReach. I think the new model has a few extras and a larger screen, but the price point on the 1st gens do make them a better buy.

LuxuryOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger III

Sparks, NV, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Steele
Member #

I prefer the original Delorme InReach footprint over that of the new Garmin InReach. I think the new model has a few extras and a larger screen, but the price point on the 1st gens do make them a better buy.
Cool, yea I saw the price difference and was kinda shocked.. all I noticed was built in Bluetooth and a sightly larger screen. I'll have to get the DeLorme! Appreciate the feed back @Obi-Juan!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Obi-Juan

Enthusiast III

Phoenix, AZ
Garmin bought DeLorme back in early 2016 . If you are seeing a DeLorme InReach it is from the Delorme last production runs. When they are gone, they are gone. Like the other comments, vital for emergencies, good for comm in remote places, great gps for iPad or iPhone via blue tooth, sucks as a standalone navigation device. I like the flexible plan where I can turn it on and off for a month at a time.

Reactions: LandPirate

Rexplorer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Lake Country, BC, Canada
Member #

i got the inreach se+, the cheaper of the two. i will set it up for communication at some point, but just want to use it as a gps for now. can i do that without registering it first or do i have to set up an account. if i can just use it, i must be missing something, because it doesnt seem to work until it needs to finish the activation process. that seem right?

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Garmin bought DeLorme back in early 2016 . If you are seeing a DeLorme InReach it is from the Delorme last production runs. When they are gone, they are gone. Like the other comments, vital for emergencies, good for comm in remote places, great gps for iPad or iPhone via blue tooth, sucks as a standalone navigation device. I like the flexible plan where I can turn it on and off for a month at a time.
I've wanted an InReach SE for a while and finally picked one up for this reason. I didn't want to miss out and the SE+ doesn't do anything extra that I'm after. On top of that look at the cost difference... jeez.

I'm using it as a GPS receiver (replacing a Dual 150) for my iPad and comms. I've also always really liked the 'breadcrumb' feature and between those features and the SOS perhaps my wife can finally relax when I'm OTG for a few days.

IMG_2107.JPG

Doug C

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Jasper, Georgia, USA
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Camara
Member #

Been thinking about getting an SE model. I have one question on the lower end subscription plans. Do you get charged for incoming texts or just out going?

Obi-Juan

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

First Name
John
Last Name
Lechuga
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5JKL
Been thinking about getting an SE model. I have one question on the lower end subscription plans. Do you get charged for incoming texts or just out going?
The "Safety Plan", which is the lowest plan... includes just 10 text messages total per month, that's sent or received. After you exceed the 10 monthly messages, it's .50 cents per message. That being said, the plan also includes UNLIMITED predefined messages that you setup via the website portal.

The Safety Plan is basically a PEACE of MIND plan so folks aren't running around with deactivated units, which would be absolutely useless when disaster strikes and you need it to work, but you chose not to activate till you need it (not a good idea!) LOL.

If you are planning a longer stay/journey off grid, just login to the site and bump your plan up to one of the higher level plans that best suits your needs for the trip. When you return, just change your plan back to the "Safety Plan".

Reactions: Doug C