Input on Silverado vs Tundra purchase decision?

• HTML tutorial

wahoowad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Virginia, USA
First Name
Wilbur
Last Name
McGee
My 2003 Silverado is passing 200,000 miles as well as rusting out so planning to replace it very soon with potentially a new Silverado or Tundra. This has to be my daily driver so can't focus on only overlanding potential. I'm probably getting a mid-range trim level, of course 4 wheel drive. When I go offroad it's going to be something mild and not climbing rocks or anything too technically challenging.

Curious if anybody has shopped for 2019 models and have any input on what swayed them one way or the other for one of these models.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

If your not going to be overlanding it i would choose whichever one has best gas mileage and comfort along with a good warranty. Personally i would take the silverado over the tundra just my personal preference though. If you do go chevy 4x4 spring for the z71or z83 package you will be glad if you tow much or decide to overland it at some point, better shocks and skidplates. My personal preference would also choose the chevy for the diesel.

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

If your not going to be overlanding it i would choose whichever one has best gas mileage and comfort along with a good warranty. Personally i would take the silverado over the tundra just my personal preference though. If you do go chevy 4x4 spring for the z71or z83 package you will be glad if you tow much or decide to overland it at some point, better shocks and skidplates. My personal preference would also choose the chevy for the diesel.
I agree, the Tundra feels old and too basic as well compared to the Silverado.

I drove a Silverado Duramax and it was great!

Mrcodes

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Anaheim Hills, Anaheim, California 92807, United States
First Name
Cody
Last Name
H
Member #

My 2003 Silverado is passing 200,000 miles as well as rusting out so planning to replace it very soon with potentially a new Silverado or Tundra. This has to be my daily driver so can't focus on only overlanding potential. I'm probably getting a mid-range trim level, of course 4 wheel drive. When I go offroad it's going to be something mild and not climbing rocks or anything too technically challenging.

Curious if anybody has shopped for 2019 models and have any input on what swayed them one way or the other for one of these models.
I have an ‘18 Silverado LT 4x4 with the Z71 package. It’s also my daily driver. I love it. Since you aren’t going to be crawling the Silverado would work great. It works fine for me. Can go anywhere I decide to take it with ease (being smart about where I actually take it that is). I went with the Chevy over the tundra last year bc of the price and I personally think that they are better built/quality than the Tundra and far more comfortable. The ‘19s just got a huge electronics upgrade too so that puts it miles ahead of the tundra who has been the same for quite some time. My uncle has a tundra and my Chevy rides much smoother than his truck. Either way you won’t be disappointed..... but get a Chevy!

Reactions: RoarinRow

wahoowad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Virginia, USA
First Name
Wilbur
Last Name
McGee
I'm also considering a Tacoma, primarily because I don't necessarily need a full size truck. It's just what I've always driven. I just came form the Chevy site and am flabbergasted at the prices. I imagine all the newer vehicles are gonna shock me though. I'm ready to get better than 15 mpg and since I don't tow a boat anymore think a 6-cylinder will be fine provided it gets better gas mileage.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I'm also considering a Tacoma, primarily because I don't necessarily need a full size truck. It's just what I've always driven. I just came form the Chevy site and am flabbergasted at the prices. I imagine all the newer vehicles are gonna shock me though. I'm ready to get better than 15 mpg and since I don't tow a boat anymore think a 6-cylinder will be fine provided it gets better gas mileage.
Look at colorado and canyon duramax if you looking at tacos too i get over 25mph highway in my baby diesel, plenty of torque to haul and crawl. Look at pre owned too prices aren't as bad.

Reactions: Old Griz

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

I bought a 2018 Silverado crew cab with the 6'6" bed its a z71 and I love it. I too had a older Silverado, a 2000 ext cab z71 model. I purchased the 2018 as I didn't like the new front on the 2019. The Silverado does well, I have a 3.5" lift and some 33's (305/55/20) ive taken it on some trails and it does well. The breaqk over angle is where I suffer but I plan on going to a 6in lift and 35's but I do plan on trying to stuff 35's in there now. The z71 is really nice for trails and it being a z71 makes it real nice for long trips the interior is comfortable. As is I usually get around 17mpg and I have the 6.2 with the 8 spd

Mrcodes

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Anaheim Hills, Anaheim, California 92807, United States
First Name
Cody
Last Name
H
Member #

Unfortunately, anything new is going to be pricey. Also depends on how basic/upgraded you want your truck. The Chevy/GMC midsize is a great option. I know a couple people who have them and they love it. Go and test drive a couple different options and just see how they drive around town. Lots of good options for used trucks as well.. No matter what you decide you can't go wrong!

wahoowad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Virginia, USA
First Name
Wilbur
Last Name
McGee
I am having a terrible extensional crisis with this purchase. I'm having to replace the vehicle because the transmission died after 200k miles and I'm not going to put the $3400 into it for replacement as the vehicle value is only around $4500. And mine has a good bit of rust busting through wheel wells and other places. It sucks as otherwise it feels solid but I can only imagine there are other expensive things poised to die at this age and mileage. I dropped a grand on the instrument cluster rebuild 2 months ago... it's just a ticking timebomb.

I don't regularly use the truck bed...it's just the kind of thing that is so nice to have when you need it. Most of those needs though could still be addressed if I switch to a SUV like sliding some 2x4's from Lowes out the back glass or attaching to the roof, etc. I also have a nice 5x8 trailer a rarely use that can haul firewood or equipment. So I am actually thinking something like a 4Runner better fits my 95% of my transportation needs. I could also buy a used truck to keep around for my kayak...and if I were to consider this then I start thinking it might just make sense to get my transmission fixed and keep the Silverado as my beater truck. Just going in circles...

Plasmajab

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Quinte West, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Howard
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3IRA
Tough call. But just to throw a wrench into your situation, all you'd need is roof racks and you can toss the kayak up there.. I have 5 kayaks I load onto my wee ford ranger. Id think you could put 2 on top of a 4 runner. You could pick up a "cheap" 2nd hand 4 runner for overlanding and maybe a cheap little econobox for back and forth to work even.

But honestly. This is a tough descision. I'd check the market to see what 4 runners are in the area for a similar price. 4 runners are damn good little rigs. Same with the tacos. Not good on fuel but the aftermarket for them is HUGE.

JButtress

Rank VI

Traveler II

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Buttress
Member #

I've always preferred a Silverado, but I am having a tough time finding overlanding gear for it as everything seems to be made for Toyota, Jeep or the Colorado. And you'll end up spending the same amount nearly with a Tundra, Tacoma or 4runner. The price on the Tacoma & 4runner goes up quickly

Wile_Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Fe, NM, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
da Gearhead
Member #

I have owned a 3rd gen 4runner, 5th gen 4runner, Taco, and even a 82 toy truck (when they used to be called just a truck), and now I'm in a 17 Silverado CC 4x4 LTZ. I can say, hands down, price aside, the Silverado is by far the best of the lot. Towing power of 9800-lbs, MPG of up to 21 (in V8 mode), cargo capacity of over 1500-lbs, and best of all, true AWD functionality. I can drive on dry pavement with AWD and not damage the transmission or transfer case. This is absolutely great for when conditions are slick or spotty with snow. You don't have to worry about shifting in/out of 4wd, as in other vehicles. This is one of the reasons I didn't go with the 3/4T Silverado, no AWD.

This past outing through the NMBDR, while on gravel roads i left it in AWD, and even in some of the crawing stuff, AWD was just fine.

The full size rigs are much larger on the inside and have plenty of room for all your crap, small gadgets (lots of pockets) and are very comfortable.

Yes, they are more expensive, but when compared to other vehicles, you truly are getting more capability from the Silverado.

One more thing, the Silverado comes with the G80 differential, which is Eatons auto-locking differential. Having true three wheel drive is monumentally better than supposed 4wd, which is really just 2wd, one front and one rear.

bmward64

Rank 0

Contributor I

Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
Blair
Last Name
Ward
I just bought a truck about 6 weeks ago. Used to drive them all of the time, but it's been 7 years. I went and looked at, priced, and test drove all 5 brands. I was initially looking at the Titan, I like the way they look.

I ended up with a Ford mainly due to the value. They had incentives that got me 10k off. I also thought the features were better than most of the competition. One example, the floor in the back is completely flat, that was huge for me.

I ended up with the 2.7 Ecoboost. I was really nervous about that small of an engine, but it's really something and I get ~20mpg.

I guess what I'm getting at is, test drive, and pick what you like that makes financial sense (unless that's not a concern to you).

I hope you get a get an awesome rig! Here's a picture of my new baby with the spare on, because I got a flat in week 3 of ownership. [emoji45]IMG_20190930_171729.jpg

Reactions: Viking1204

Cprosser99

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Oklahoma City, OK, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Prosser
Member #

Like you I am a huge GM fan and have had a few. That being said, when I priced a used GM 1500 (cc, 4X4, ect) against a F-150, everything being equal, I bought the F-150. The kicker for me was the factory elocking rear end. I honestly stressed out about leaving GM but this my F-150 rides just as well if not better than any GM I've ever driven. PM me and I can talk you thru how I graded things. Best of luck!

wahoowad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Virginia, USA
First Name
Wilbur
Last Name
McGee
Drove a 2019 4Runner TRD Pro and Silverado Z71 Trail Boss. I am surprised at how the 4Runner lacked some of the common modern features that seem standard on many vehicles, particularly at the 4Runner Pro price point. And while they are relatively small features the vehicle seems like a lower trim line or something missing them. Things like keyless ignition, dual ac/heat controls, seat heaters, etc. It drove fine and am sure it’s great off-road.

The Silverado LT Z71 had everything, had more low end power and drove great. Maybe i’m just used to the Silverado ride.

So while the Z71 seems to feel the best I kinda wanted to get an SUV for a change. So am still going to keep thinking about both the 4Runner (and see if the 2020 adds anything) and Silverado and get into some real price discussions.