Input on Silverado vs Tundra purchase decision?

• HTML tutorial

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Drove a 2019 4Runner TRD Pro and Silverado Z71 Trail Boss. I am surprised at how the 4Runner lacked some of the common modern features that seem standard on many vehicles, particularly at the 4Runner Pro price point. And while they are relatively small features the vehicle seems like a lower trim line or something missing them. Things like keyless ignition, dual ac/heat controls, seat heaters, etc. It drove fine and am sure it’s great off-road.

The Silverado LT Z71 had everything, had more low end power and drove great. Maybe i’m just used to the Silverado ride.

So while the Z71 seems to feel the best I kinda wanted to get an SUV for a change. So am still going to keep thinking about both the 4Runner (and see if the 2020 adds anything) and Silverado and get into some real price discussions.
Well i dont think chevrolet is going to have any suv with 4x4 anytime soon the trailblazer is fwd, unless folks start demanding it. Might get awd but i doubt it since suv market is soccer moms who arent worried about that type of thing. Hopefully im wrong id like a 4x4 trailblazer that matches my colorado.

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

Features and comfort go with Ford or Chevy. Longevity go Toyota. I haven't bought a new vehicle since 98 because of the depreciation on new. Maybe not an issue if you keep it 200k. If you had a Tundra you wouldn't be replacing it now. Look at the value of Tundras with 200K. Stupid. But for a reason.
You need to decide what are the important factors for you. Pick the vehicle and features and find the vehicle. What ever you choose don't second guess yourself. Move forward and enjoy.
Good luck and safe travels.

Reactions: Artemus

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

Drove a 2019 4Runner TRD Pro and Silverado Z71 Trail Boss. I am surprised at how the 4Runner lacked some of the common modern features that seem standard on many vehicles, particularly at the 4Runner Pro price point. And while they are relatively small features the vehicle seems like a lower trim line or something missing them. Things like keyless ignition, dual ac/heat controls, seat heaters, etc. It drove fine and am sure it’s great off-road.

The Silverado LT Z71 had everything, had more low end power and drove great. Maybe i’m just used to the Silverado ride.

So while the Z71 seems to feel the best I kinda wanted to get an SUV for a change. So am still going to keep thinking about both the 4Runner (and see if the 2020 adds anything) and Silverado and get into some real price discussions.
Toyota is definitely behind on innovation and upgrades and prefers to concentrate on quality and reliability. I recently met with a Toyota engineer and he said a new Tundra should be available in 2021 and Tacoma 2022 or 2023 he didn't mention 4 runner.(he is on the truck team) . I struggled with the SUV vs Pick up decision. Since I plan on sleeping in the back the long bed pick up made sense for me.
Only you can decide what your priorities are.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
pick ups are like women:

fords are blondes...look good but expensive and high maintenance with reliability issues

chevys are brunets...middle of the road, not bad on reliability but a little boring after a while

toyotas are red heads.... :grin:

Last edited:

Old Griz

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Idaho
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Clisham
Member #

Look at colorado and canyon duramax if you looking at tacos too i get over 25mph highway in my baby diesel, plenty of torque to haul and crawl. Look at pre owned too prices aren't as bad.
I would like to find a Colorado ZR2 Bison diesel used at a good price like that's in the realm of possibility.

Old Griz

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Idaho
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Clisham
Member #

Features and comfort go with Ford or Chevy. Longevity go Toyota. I haven't bought a new vehicle since 98 because of the depreciation on new. Maybe not an issue if you keep it 200k. If you had a Tundra you wouldn't be replacing it now. Look at the value of Tundras with 200K. Stupid. But for a reason.
You need to decide what are the important factors for you. Pick the vehicle and features and find the vehicle. What ever you choose don't second guess yourself. Move forward and enjoy.
Good luck and safe travels.
I currently have 2 Chevys well over 200,000 miles.
I get comfort and reliability.

Reactions: hoch

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

I currently have 2 Chevys well over 200,000 miles.
I get comfort and reliability.
i'm sure. But close to the end of their useful life. I'm old enogh to remember when 100K was the end. It's a fantastic thing.

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

Like you I am a huge GM fan and have had a few. That being said, when I priced a used GM 1500 (cc, 4X4, ect) against a F-150, everything being equal, I bought the F-150. The kicker for me was the factory elocking rear end. I honestly stressed out about leaving GM but this my F-150 rides just as well if not better than any GM I've ever driven. PM me and I can talk you thru how I graded things. Best of luck!
I did the same pricing out a silverado cc z71 and f150 both were very comperable but in the end the silverado was the better deal. My CC ltz z71 was the better deal than the xlt f150 that had less features

Reactions: Cprosser99

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

No doubt the Ford and Chevy are less expensive than Toyota and probably more comfortable and have more features than Toyota. Frankly they are all great vehicles compared to the previous generations. What ever someone chooses will provide great value. Even FCA vehicles can be good. Decide that is important to you and get out there and explore. That is the whole point.

Reactions: Cprosser99

Cprosser99

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Oklahoma City, OK, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Prosser
Member #

I did the same pricing out a silverado cc z71 and f150 both were very comperable but in the end the silverado was the better deal. My CC ltz z71 was the better deal than the xlt f150 that had less features
My F-150 is a platinum and I couldn't get a GM close enough to the deal I received on my F-150. Maybe next time GM...

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Buying a Gm in the middle of striking factory workers ain't exactly the best idea of the year. And that leaky roof plant was bad enough before all of that.

I'd look towards the Toyota or lower trim model Ford. Stx maybe. Also consider F250's. The Ford's have a rear locker stock.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Both parties dropped the ball years ago. Should have had stock share benefits instead of pensions. That way workers were motivated to do good, by share value, instead of just sucking the life out of the company. Design, Engineering, and Leadership included.

Toyota and Ford just got lucky and Dodged that bullet a bit better. (pun intended)

Wile_Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Fe, NM, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
da Gearhead
Member #

This past article got me looking into what truck consisted of the most American made parts. Turns out, Toyota Tundra has 80% of its parts made here in the U.S.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Even if the Tundra is woefully obsolete, it's still a Tundra. And a 2005 Tundra wasn't a bad truck at all.

I still went F250 though. Want lockers in both axles is why. Maybe a camper in my future.

Reactions: HazMatt79

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
2017+ for sure. But I think they go back much further than that.

Rear is an elocker, front is normal and open. I plan on using a Yukon Grizzly auto locker up front when/if I regear to 4.88. F250 has a Dana 60 front axle with some very large Spicer universals, and free spin hubs. Doesn't get any more front locker friendly than that.

Wampa150

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Chico, CA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

My 2003 Silverado is passing 200,000 miles as well as rusting out so planning to replace it very soon with potentially a new Silverado or Tundra. This has to be my daily driver so can't focus on only overlanding potential. I'm probably getting a mid-range trim level, of course 4 wheel drive. When I go offroad it's going to be something mild and not climbing rocks or anything too technically challenging.

Curious if anybody has shopped for 2019 models and have any input on what swayed them one way or the other for one of these models.
I’m in agribusiness and our whole fleet is Chevy (and 2 F150’s). We’ve replaced 5 transmissions this year, 3 starters, 3 condensers and 3 manifolds. The damn manifold bolts keep breaking cause they’re so dinky. Your ‘03 Chevy was their heyday. Everything post Gov. buyout has been a throw away rig. **Cue die hard Chevy objections**. You’ve got 200k on your rig now, but we haven’t hit 200k on any of our Chevys in over 10 years. Our F-150’s are over 200k and we’re retiring them to local runners. If you want a rig for the long haul, Toyota has always been it. My main personal rig is a ‘10 F-150 Lariat I got brand new, first and probably last time, for $30k. The same rig now is double that . A new Tacoma will run you as much as a Ram Rebel. Either would be a fun Overlanding platform ‍♂