Okc
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Brooks
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5YRP
Would like to gather some info on this trail. I believe it's in eastern OK/ western Ark. I'm unable to find anything on a published trail on GAIA. How difficult is this trail? Can a single rig pulling a trailer navigate any technical sections on the trail. Would like to plan a trip for this fall (2017)
Any and all info will be greatly appreciated

Member 1864

gandrimp

Rank III

Advocate II

I just watched a few youtube videos and found a map on google of someones track through the area. I then realized , I have been through the area a couple of times in the last year, with a trip planned in the next few months. None of our group pulls a trailer but the videos I saw were. I also haven't saw the water as high (dry both times I went). Now my buddies have seen a lot of water. It is a beautiful area.
You need to make the effort to go to the Oark café, we waited an hour and a half to get a table last time I was there.

UnderPressure

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Okc
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Brooks
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5YRP
Never even thought about YouTube. Thanks gandrimp. I'm hoping to plan one out during fall foliage. I'll definitely look into the cafe.

Member 1864

scott mcfarland

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Member #

TN

We ran a portion of the HWM trail this fall. It is pretty mild as offroading goes, but beautiful scenery and a lot of fun.

A small trail section I recorded from the windshield

And a much more well done video, not mine or our trip.

I still have the GPX files we used if you're interested.

Reactions: Zheking

UnderPressure

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Okc
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Brooks
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5YRP
Thanks Scott! I searched YouTube and watched the OA video. After seeing one rig learn the trail name, I'm not so sure about a solo rig run. I really need to get my wife her own rig.

Member 1864

scott mcfarland

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Member #

TN

Chris - None of the water crossings in the fall were deeper than the top of the tire, but I've heard in the spring they're deep.

I understand the solo concern, if you're interested you could coordinate a run with my crew. We're going back spring or fall this year for sure. We've got 5-6 trucks (incl another sweet FJ) and you're welcome to come with us.

UnderPressure

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Okc
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Brooks
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5YRP
I'll hope for a dry fall. That's awesome of you to invite us, thanks. I'm definitely interested on when you plan to go. Maybe we could tag-a-long.

Member 1864

The GrooGrux King

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Dallas, TX 75218
Member #

Reactions: TrailWhale

matt1171

Rank 0

Traveler I

Please note that the route linked above is old and has trails that are now closed and illegal to be on. Please compare any routes you find online to the latest MVU maps to make sure all trails are legal.

matt1171

Rank 0

Traveler I

"Open" and "closed" in Arkansas is not determined by a gate, berm or sign. The MVU Maps are the deciding factor on trail status. That's why you must check routes against the latest maps to make sure.

The GrooGrux King

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Dallas, TX 75218
Member #

A forest ranger told us that trails that were prohibited would be indicated by purple paint or physically blocked off. Like I said, we were able to do the portion from Old Hwy 7 to Sand Gap. No problems with officials, authorities, upset land owners, etc. We used the MVU on their site as well as the paper ones in the ranger district. As for the other sections of the "High Water Mark Trail", I cannot speak to them as we didn't travel them. We also were not the only ones using the trails, plenty of SxS and 4wheelers. I feel that if we were ever somewhere we shouldn't have been, it would have been a field day for the authorities and we would have known about it.

I see you are located in Conway, so I would assume that you would know better than myself, but I know there are also a lot of 'rumors' of trails being closed, or marked in the area. I say rumors, because there are plenty of people claiming the complete opposite. The Kiamichi Trail comes to mind when bringing this up, yet I had a neighbor that traveled K-Trail three weeks ago with his family with no problems, marked or blocked trails. There is also an Overland group based out of the Ouachita and Ozark Mountains, who try to keep everyone in the loop on what is and what isn't, if you know what I mean.

Zheking

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

planet Earth
Member #

Chris - None of the water crossings in the fall were deeper than the top of the tire, but I've heard in the spring they're deep.

I understand the solo concern, if you're interested you could coordinate a run with my crew. We're going back spring or fall this year for sure. We've got 5-6 trucks (incl another sweet FJ) and you're welcome to come with us.
I'd like to get in on that trip.