Launch Member

Advocate II

Marion, IN, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Winters
Member #

Hey all! Hoosier all my life. Grew up in the Wawasee Lake area. Kinda boring. Been wanting to check out Hoosier National Forest. I love to camp! Hit me up if any of you want to get out on a weekend!

Nick

Reactions: DanW and Motoboss

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

Hey all! Hoosier all my life. Grew up in the Wawasee Lake area. Kinda boring. Been wanting to check out Hoosier National Forest. I love to camp! Hit me up if any of you want to get out on a weekend!

Nick
I've been tossing around the idea of heading down to Turkey Bay at Land Between the Lakes sometime in September. That's a great time of year to camp out, too. There are lots of roads to explore, of course the trails at Turkey Bay, and I even think I remember seeing a shooting range down there. It might be a fun weekend getaway as we get into mid to late September or early October.

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

Hi everyone !! Jay, KC9QOW from Terre Haute. I've bought a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland HO 4.7 a couple of years ago before I even knew what true overlanding was so I guess you could say that I was destined to overland !!

I've always enjoyed the outdoors but haven't really gotten back into it since I was a kid until a couple of years ago when I went backpacking in Glacier National Park. And thru my research for that trip did I stumble across overlanding videos and a whole new world opened up to me.

Unfortunately my job has me rotating between all 3 shifts each week and I'm literally in the plant 7 days a week except for 1 day a month so it doesn't allow me much free time to go anywhere for any length of time.

On my vacations the last couple of years I've ventured out west to the Rockies, the Grand Canyon, various other national parks, New Mexico, Arizona, and so many other places. I've put some serious seat time in getting from place to place to make the best of my time, so I never really got to stay in any one place for long. That's where overlanding has really caught my eye. I got into the national park system by watching a documentary about people who were kids in the 30's and 40's and who their parents would take them on month long vacations to all these new national parks so overlanding and mother nature have been in my blood and I just didn't know it until now.

I'll be 52 this year, divorced, 2 daughters, 4 grand kids and I'm ready to make up for lost time. I've gone thru this thread and only saw somebody from Brazil but no Terre Haute overlanders. I'd be curious to know if there's anyone around my area.

Heading out to Colorado, Utah, and the Grand Canyon with my oldest grandson this year for some camping. Sadly we'll be doing it from a rental car but should still be fun !!!

Member #16420View attachment 91364View attachment 91365
Wow, nice looking WJ! What size tires are you running?

My son and I took a few more steps in the right directin with his WJ. It has a new starter, transmission fluid/filters, power steering hoses/fluid, and oil pressure sensor. The thing is really running like new now. It just needs the tires to be balanced. Tonight we did a thorogh wash and threw some Turtle Wax Ice on it.
Here's a pic.

Reactions: Kdj

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

I've been putting together a map of some GPX files I am finding here My Maps. And some offroad parks as well that I have been to. Take a look here near Brown County/ Yellowood, that is a lot of gravel road. or hop on gravelmap.com
It isn't giving me access to your maps. Am I doing something wrong? I love taking short trips down to those areas, especially in the Fall and also in the winter, after a nice snow!

Crossoverlander

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Indianapolis, IN
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Manners
Member #

It isn't giving me access to your maps. Am I doing something wrong? I love taking short trips down to those areas, especially in the Fall and also in the winter, after a nice snow!
That was my fault on my end. I went and changed the share/visibility setting to public.

OVERLAND ROUTES: Everyone should be able to view now! Here is a small collection of Midwest/TN KY IN routes
TURKEY BAY: And here is a color coded Park map of Turkey Bay OHV park from the main easy routes to the small technical ones here
FILE DUMP: If you just use my google maps, you can go on your phone and tap the 3 horizontal bars next to the search, go down to Offline maps and hit Select your Own Map. This allows you to zoom around the entire area you want (Turkey Bay) If you just want the raw gpx file (without color coding it will all be one color) it is in this folder here Overland routes GPX - Google Drive

Reactions: DanW

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

That was my fault on my end. I went and changed the share/visibility setting to public.

OVERLAND ROUTES: Everyone should be able to view now! Here is a small collection of Midwest/TN KY IN routes
TURKEY BAY: And here is a color coded Park map of Turkey Bay OHV park from the main easy routes to the small technical ones here
FILE DUMP: If you just use my google maps, you can go on your phone and tap the 3 horizontal bars next to the search, go down to Offline maps and hit Select your Own Map. This allows you to zoom around the entire area you want (Turkey Bay) If you just want the raw gpx file (without color coding it will all be one color) it is in this folder here Overland routes GPX - Google Drive
Thanks for sharing!!

itsrikka

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Vincennes, IN
First Name
Rikka
Last Name
Lee
Member #

New member here. Vincennes, IN. Have two Foresters (98 and 02). One is the daily for now, the other is getting an engine. Can't wait to get out there with the newer Forester. Anywhere around that's real nice without traveling too far?

itsrikka

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Vincennes, IN
First Name
Rikka
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Welcome from south central Indiana.

Check out Interlake recreational area. It's just south of you and just east of Lynnville.
Thanks for the suggestion. Is it a good place to camp? I don’t really plan to wheel my rig. It’s going to be a light trail runner/weekender.

Motoboss

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Martinsville, Indiana, USA
Member #

Thanks for the suggestion. Is it a good place to camp? I don’t really plan to wheel my rig. It’s going to be a light trail runner/weekender.
Not sure about the camping but I believe it's allowed. Got some nice trails, ridges and hills to play on.

Reactions: itsrikka

Crossoverlander

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Indianapolis, IN
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Manners
Member #

Not sure about the camping but I believe it's allowed. Got some nice trails, ridges and hills to play on.
Took my Highlander there a month ago just to test its capabilities. I made it around a lot of the green easy trails just by going slow and good line choice. Went down a rocky hill I probably shouldn't have, but ended up making it back up in sport mode 1st gear, trac-controls off and snow mode on! It's plenty fun for hauling my toys and what I want it to do. (Still looking to buy an old 4runner if anyone has one cheap)

Simeri

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Indiana
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Sim
Member #

I'm up in Carmel. I'm looking to head up north for labor day weekend. Anyone know of anything up on the IN/MI line?

Also i will be attending an event two weeks later in the UP. Let me know if you are interested and i can send details

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

I'm up in Carmel. I'm looking to head up north for labor day weekend. Anyone know of anything up on the IN/MI line?

Also i will be attending an event two weeks later in the UP. Let me know if you are interested and i can send details
What's going on at the UP?

bmwguru

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

Are you going to the Keweenaw Overland Adventure Retreat? My wife and I and one of our doggo's are going.

Simeri

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Indiana
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Sim
Member #

Are you going to the Keweenaw Overland Adventure Retreat? My wife and I and one of our doggo's are going.
Yes! My wife, my two dogs, and I are leaving Thursday after work, meeting up with a friend in Gary (hes coming from grand rapids) then probably crashing in Milwaukee, getting back on the road Friday morning.

Reactions: bmwguru

bmwguru

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

Yes! My wife, my two dogs, and I are leaving Thursday after work, meeting up with a friend in Gary (hes coming from grand rapids) then probably crashing in Milwaukee, getting back on the road Friday morning.
So you are going up through Illinois and Wisconsin? I think we are going to go Indiana to Michigan and cross the Mackinac bridge to the U. P. We are "planning" on leaving Wednesday morning so we can try to be there before it gets dark. We will see...:sunglasses: So I just checked both routes. It is a shorter drive up through Illinois and Wisconsin but you have to deal with traffic in Chicago and Milwaukee. If you bypass those two cities it's only a 38 minute travel time difference according to Google maps. I would like to know which route is more scenic. For some reason I feel that the drive up through Michigan will be the more scenic route but I could be and am often wrong. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Simeri

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Indiana
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Sim
Member #

What's going on at the UP?
So you are going up through Illinois and Wisconsin? I think we are going to go Indiana to Michigan and cross the Mackinac bridge to the U. P. We are "planning" on leaving Wednesday morning so we can try to be there before it gets dark. We will see...:sunglasses: So I just checked both routes. It is a shorter drive up through Illinois and Wisconsin but you have to deal with traffic in Chicago and Milwaukee. If you bypass those two cities it's only a 38 minute travel time difference according to Google maps. I would like to know which route is more scenic. For some reason I feel that the drive up through Michigan will be the more scenic route but I could be and am often wrong. Any thoughts?

We will be taking Mackinac on the way back because it is DEFINITELY more scenic. We are leaving Thursday evening and staying the night in Milwaukee so traffic won't be as bad. If you have time I would highly recommend spending time in the Mackinac area and try to take the ferry to the island. I've been there twice when I was younger and loved it. A lot of history, and fudge. Btw my name is Chris and my wife is Lia. I'll be in a dark grey Tacoma. Come find us when you get a chance. Be safe

Reactions: bmwguru

Bhinton

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hebron, IN, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Hinton
Member #

Hello all will be moving to Indiana over the next couple months looking forward to meeting some members up here. I’m out of Alabama on the southeast region currently. Looks like I will be missing some of the trails available in TM,GA and AL . But looking forward to some new ones.

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

Hello all will be moving to Indiana over the next couple months looking forward to meeting some members up here. I’m out of Alabama on the southeast region currently. Looks like I will be missing some of the trails available in TM,GA and AL . But looking forward to some new ones.
What part of Indiana are you heading toward?