Inaugural Lone Pine trip

• HTML tutorial

jplemons

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fresno, CA, USA
Member #

My family joined up with another and headed to Lone Pine and the Alabama Hills area for our first overlanding journey, and we were not disappointed. It’s such an amazing area. The two days we camped saw high winds in the area and chilly nights, which is to be expected this time of year, I suppose.

IMG_0122.JPG

My plan was to either head up to Mazourka Peak or take the Swansea-Cerro Gordo route and camp up there. We decided to attempt the Swansea trail, planning to pitch camp at an abandoned mine about halfway to Cerro Gordo. About 1/3 of the way up, we ran into the toughest spot of the trail, which looks like it’s gotten worse after this winter. My friend’s rig was low in the back, and I’m new to off-roading, so we contemplated our route and decided against it.

Instead, we went up the Cerro Gordo side and visited the old mining town, where it started snowing on us, lol. The regular caretaker wasn’t there but his substitute provided the tour and gave us some info about the road leading higher. Because of the weather, we decided to head back down and stay another night in the Alabama Hills.

I figure later in May or June those two higher elevation settings will be better. And I bet in July, at 8500-9200 feet, they’ll be perfect while the valley is blazing.

IMG_0123.JPG

IMG_2538.JPG

IMG_0124.JPG

IMG_2545.JPG

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Cool terrain. And what an amazing view! Judging from the ballooned RTT the wind was pretty strong.

jplemons

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fresno, CA, USA
Member #

Cool terrain. And what an amazing view! Judging from the ballooned RTT the wind was pretty strong.
It was ragin’ windy. I’d guess 20 mph - 30 mph gusts. The tent held help very well. On the second night, I removed the rain fly, hoping it’d cut down on the noise. No such luck, lol. It seemed even windier.

Eric8541

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Corona, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EGT
My family joined up with another and headed to Lone Pine and the Alabama Hills area for our first overlanding journey, and we were not disappointed. It’s such an amazing area. The two days we camped saw high winds in the area and chilly nights, which is to be expected this time of year, I suppose.

View attachment 94464

My plan was to either head up to Mazourka Peak or take the Swansea-Cerro Gordo route and camp up there. We decided to attempt the Swansea trail, planning to pitch camp at an abandoned mine about halfway to Cerro Gordo. About 1/3 of the way up, we ran into the toughest spot of the trail, which looks like it’s gotten worse after this winter. My friend’s rig was low in the back, and I’m new to off-roading, so we contemplated our route and decided against it.

Instead, we went up the Cerro Gordo side and visited the old mining town, where it started snowing on us, lol. The regular caretaker wasn’t there but his substitute provided the tour and gave us some info about the road leading higher. Because of the weather, we decided to head back down and stay another night in the Alabama Hills.

I figure later in May or June those two higher elevation settings will be better. And I bet in July, at 8500-9200 feet, they’ll be perfect while the valley is blazing.

View attachment 94465

View attachment 94466

View attachment 94467

View attachment 94468

Sgt12XU

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sunnyvale, CA
Member #

I took my Dad there last Christmas. Neither of us had been. We got lucky with the wind. The snow on the mountains made it scenic. Easy to get in and out. Close to supplies. Piece of cake.

My trip:

darjo242

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Show Low, AZ
First Name
Darryl
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7HLL

View attachment 94464

View attachment 94465

View attachment 94466

View attachment 94467

View attachment 94468
That is some pretty country up there! that was stomping grounds for my parents and I 5 or 6 times a year, if not more. Growing up in the LA area, it was a short jaunt. Lots of dove/quail seasons spent in that area.

Reactions: jplemons

JButtress

Rank VI

Traveler II

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Buttress
Member #

I love the Lone Pine area and Alabama Hills. If you haven't done it before, take the 395 north from there up past Bishop and Convict Lake. Beautiful drive, and i'm sure there are tons of backroads to explore