Important info for travelers to France - environmental zone in Strasbourg comes into force beginning 2023

• HTML tutorial

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
On January 1, 2023, the ban on driving in the environmental zone in Strasbourg will come into force for motor vehicles with a class 5 enviromental vignette and without a that vignette. The environmental zone will be monitored by automated control using license plate recognition. The fine for non compliance is 68 Euros for vehicles up to 3.5 tons. For heavier vehicles, the fine is 135 Euros.

Be careful: there are numerous environmental zones in France, including temporary ones. Since that was too critical for me that I might overlook a temporary one and we are often in France, I got myself the vignette sticker some time ago already. You get them for about 4.50 Euros via the website of the French Ministry of the Environment. There you could also check which class your rig gets.

Last edited:

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Vinnie
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
On January 1, 2023, the ban on driving in the environmental zone in Strasbourg will come into force for motor vehicles with a class 5 enviromental vignette and without a that vignette. The environmental zone will be monitored by automated control using license plate recognition. The fine for non compliance is 68 Euros for vehicles up to 3.5 tons. For heavier vehicles, the fine is 135 Euros.

Be careful: there are numerous environmental zones in France, including temporary ones. Since that was too critical for me that I might overlook a temporary one and we are often in France, I got myself the vignette sticker some time ago already. You get them for about 4.50 Euros via the website of the French Ministry of the Environment. There you could also check which class your rig gets.
Thanks Björn,

This is good to know. Which website do you use to view zones, especially temporary ones?

Thanks again,
Rick

Reactions: El-Dracho

Sven

Mid Europe Local Expert
Launch Member

Explorer I

Schenefeld, Germany
First Name
Sven
Last Name
Larsen
Member #

Thanks Björn,

This is good to know. Which website do you use to view zones, especially temporary ones?

Thanks again,
Rick

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Do these regulations concern antique register vehicles?

Todd.
As far as I have researched, there is an exception for classic cars only in the Paris environmental zone and only for vehicles registered in France, where the vehicle documents can prove that it is a historic vehicle.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Thanks Björn,

Thanks again,
Rick
Hi Rick,

The link @Sven mentioned above is the official site of the french government reagrding this. There are also apps around for Europes environmental zones but I nevers used them, e.g. Green Zone App. The temporary driving bans are usually ordered very shortly before and are not recognizable by permanent traffic signs, but usually only by electronic displays, notice on the radio, internet etc. Since that was too uncertain for me that I might miss something, I just got the sticker. By the way, if you use google maps in France, the routing shows you if your route goes through an environmental zone.

Bjoern

4x4tripping

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Switzerland
First Name
Heinz
Last Name
Treben
Thanks for the hint @El-Dracho! Good to know!

I can recommend an App for that purpose. You enter your car details, the app shows where you arent allowed and where you have to optain a vignette or similar.

Greenzone I did reviewed here (german language):

You can also buy the required vignette inside of the app (it is cheaper to buy at yourself). The problem is here, that you even have to optaint the vignette with an electic or even euro6 based car.

trippin

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

Every time I try these, for my UK registered 1984 Land Rover, I'm not eligible to order a Vignette, therefore not able to drive in any of the restricted zones.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Every time I try these, for my UK registered 1984 Land Rover, I'm not eligible to order a Vignette, therefore not able to drive in any of the restricted zones.
The reason will probably be that passenger cars, motor homes and commercial vehicles under 3.5 t with EURO 1 or without EURO standard and first registered before 1st Jan 1997 (passenger cars) or 1st Oct 1997 (light commercial vehicles) do not receive such an environmental vignette.

Reactions: paul87250

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Vinnie
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E

Thanks Björn,

Thanks again,
Rick
Thanks Sven!

Reactions: El-Dracho and Sven

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Vinnie
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
Thanks Björn,

Thanks again,
Rick
Hi Rick,

The link @Sven mentioned above is the official site of the french government reagrding this. There are also apps around for Europes environmental zones but I nevers used them, e.g. Green Zone App. The temporary driving bans are usually ordered very shortly before and are not recognizable by permanent traffic signs, but usually only by electronic displays, notice on the radio, internet etc. Since that was too uncertain for me that I might miss something, I just got the sticker. By the way, if you use google maps in France, the routing shows you if your route goes through an environmental zone.

Bjoern
Thanks Björn, I was wondering if Gmaps did the same in France. I’m aware that it works in DE.

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

The reason will probably be that passenger cars, motor homes and commercial vehicles under 3.5 t with EURO 1 or without EURO standard and first registered before 1st Jan 1997 (passenger cars) or 1st Oct 1997 (light commercial vehicles) do not receive such an environmental vignette.
Yes, had come to that conclusion - just means we can't visit with the vehicle. Would have to park outside the zone and bus or taxi in.
Or take a chance .......