Launch Member

Explorer I

Oakville, St. Louis, MO, USA
First Name
Rion
Last Name
H
Member #

I dunno if this is the right spot for this but I'll be in Ouray and looking to hit Imogene Pass maybe September 8th on my way to Moab via Telluride.

Anyone else going to be in the area? I'd prefer to not do it the first time solo unless I have to.

I'd imagine I could always park at the trail head and see if anyone will let me tag along.

probablytheguy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Explorer I

First Name
Rion
Last Name
H
Member #

How many days do you think the trip will be?
I'll be out the 5th through the 14th of next month.

Our plan is to get into Colorado Springs on the 5th, check out Garden of the God and Pikes Peak then make our way to camp somewhere near Ouray. Spend a day around the area and then try to hit Telluride Via Imogene that next morning. I could be talked into doing Imogene on Monday the 7th as well but feel because of holiday traffic it might be crowded.

We're pretty lax on our plans however we do have timed entry into RMNP later that week.

Craig702

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Husted
Member #

is there a lot of heavy rock crawling on the trail? The reason I ask is because I don’t have any armor under my Tacoma other than the skid plate.

probablytheguy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Explorer I

First Name
Rion
Last Name
H
Member #

is there a lot of heavy rock crawling on the trail? The reason I ask is because I don’t have any armor under my Tacoma other than the skid plate.
I've seen videos of new stock cherokees doing it. I don't think it's so bad so much as just some tight areas and turns with a large drop off the side. I could be wrong, I've never been.

TxJeeper75

Rank VI

Steward I

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Heiman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5LHN
Do you have a lift? I was there last month. The trail is fairly easy. No real serious rock crawling. There are a couple sketchy areas if you don't. If someone is with you that can spot, I think you'll be ok. If you're heading to Telluride, the worst parts will be after you summit. There are plenty of full length vids on youtube. I started from Telluride, but you can check out my descent from the summit here.

Reactions: probablytheguy

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

As an FYI... Pikes Peak may be closed. Fire in the area last week and this plus construction has slowed on the new building at the top. No vehicles, only busing people up on some days, but not all.

Starting May 22, 2020 to mid October, at Mile 13 and 16, you’ll find ample parking and free shuttles that depart from Devils Playground every five minutes to take visitors to the summit while the highly anticipated new Summit House is built. Masks are required and pets are not allowed.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I dunno if this is the right spot for this but I'll be in Ouray and looking to hit Imogene Pass maybe September 8th on my way to Moab via Telluride.

Anyone else going to be in the area? I'd prefer to not do it the first time solo unless I have to.

I'd imagine I could always park at the trail head and see if anyone will let me tag along.
Our two Member Reps in CO are a good resource. They both just did the pass last weekend.
@the_runn4r & @Neal A. Tew

Craig702

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Husted
Member #

Do you have a lift? I was there last month. The trail is fairly easy. No real serious rock crawling. There are a couple sketchy areas if you don't. If someone is with you that can spot, I think you'll be ok. If you're heading to Telluride, the worst parts will be after you summit. There are plenty of full length vids on youtube. I started from Telluride, but you can check out my descent from the summit here.
I have no lift, but I do have offroad tires and sliders (2019 Tacoma Pro). I have been rock crawling a few times and never had an issue But i have been told to put armor under to prevent expensive damages (I’m new to this)

probablytheguy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Explorer I

First Name
Rion
Last Name
H
Member #

You are overthinking this. Just use common sense picking a line. I have led dozens of bone stock Cherokee XJ's over it as well as Black Bear.
I don't doubt this but it will also be part of my first solo trip with the wife. I'm usually farting around my local forests and trails and know who to call.

Reactions: TxJeeper75

BrokeDown

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

I'm heading in the opposite direction. We will be in Moab from Sept. 6th to the 13th and then in Ouray from the 13th until the 20th. We will be doing trails in Moab Monday and Friday. I put my wife into offroading school (Barlow) on Saturday and then we head to Ouray on Sunday. I hope to do trails most of the days that we are in Ouray. We are pretty new too. We are more about seeing the views than we are about conquering the hardest obstacles. If anyone wants to do a leisurely ride, let me know.
-B

Reactions: Medcomm

Brian Glendenning

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Socorro, NM
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Glendenning
Member #

In my F150 with a level & stock tire size it was easy but slightly scary in parts (wheels close to the edge etc.). We had a scrape occasionally, but I think in a shorter/narrower rig even that would probably not happen. It's beautiful, go for it!

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Garden of the Gods was closed today when my son tried going up there to climb with his friends.