Rank II

Contributor III

Smithsburg, MD, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Bachtell
Member #

Hey people of OB! New here, but seasoned adventurer. Retired early, ready to go! Got delayed a few years but after some health setbacks gearing up for first FJ outfitted beach camping trip to OBX. I'm about as excited as an older fellah can be to be part of the coolest community on the inter-webs!... lol Hollah!

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Welcome Rob. Been to OBX couple of times and trying to get back this Spring while most all the beaches are open to driving on the upper Hatteras end. FYI, I'm sure you know but it can get a bit windy out there. Basically you are on a sand dune in the middle of the ocean! Ocracoke is a neat place. Have not been on the Cape Lookout end. But that looks neat also. I saw on here someone was heading a trip to Lookout in May?

RobB-FJ07

Rank II

Contributor III

Smithsburg, MD, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Bachtell
Member #

Thanks for the welcome! Been traveling to OBX for about 25 years. Those Ocean breezes can be fiesty! Ocracoke is a cool little place... Howards is our favorite place to go. Want to hit Cape Lookout, even got permit but I think Hatteras Island will be first adventure of the '22 season.
Permit is only $120 for the year. Hope to see you out there!

dp454so

Rank IV

Advocate II

USA
First Name
D
Last Name
P
Member #

Hey people of OB! New here, but seasoned adventurer. Retired early, ready to go! Got delayed a few years but after some health setbacks gearing up for first FJ outfitted beach camping trip to OBX. I'm about as excited as an older fellah can be to be part of the coolest community on the inter-webs!... lol Hollah!
Welcome Rob! Cheers from the Southeast! OBX is nice, but it gets nicer the further south you go ;)

Reactions: RobB-FJ07

dp454so

Rank IV

Advocate II

USA
First Name
D
Last Name
P
Member #

Oh yeah, I get it! I'm a former WV boy (& always a WV boy) which is why I posted! Spent lot of time after grad school in and around DC. Nice country! Love that area!

SorrTrek

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Washington, DC
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Sorrell
Member #

Welcome. I'm in DC so should try and meet up!

SorrTrek

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Washington, DC
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Sorrell
Member #

Thanks Steven! Yep, hope we can cross paths sometime! We're only about 60 miles (give or take) away.
I'm trying to get up to Green Ridge before the spring. Been heading into WV a bunch. Want to check out Wolf Den too.

Oh plenty of parks in PA if you want to practice some technical riding.

Coreymol

Local Expert, Texas USA

Guardian I

Boerne, Texas, United States
First Name
Corey
Last Name
Molinelli
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WREM781 on GMRS
Service Branch
Army
welcome

RobB-FJ07

Rank II

Contributor III

Smithsburg, MD, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Bachtell
Member #

Thanks Steven! Yep, hope we can cross paths sometime! We're only about 60 miles (give or take) away.
I'm trying to get up to Green Ridge before the spring. Been heading into WV a bunch. Want to check out Wolf Den too.

Sadly, I think my technical trail excursions are behind me, now I'm more of a camping on very moderate trails and campgrounds kinda' guy... lol
I'm thinking also of a springtime trip to Green Ridge. Possibly a Pine Grove Furnace PA hammock hang as soon as it gets a wee bit warmer.

Reactions: SorrTrek

SorrTrek

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Washington, DC
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Sorrell
Member #

Sadly, I think my technical trail excursions are behind me, now I'm more of a camping on very moderate trails and campgrounds kinda' guy... lol
I'm thinking also of a springtime trip to Green Ridge. Possibly a Pine Grove Furnace PA hammock hang as soon as it gets a wee bit warmer.
Flagpole seems to be a favorite. Some great camping. PA seems to be tough on campgrounds. Don't see state or national parks like MD and VA.

RobB-FJ07

Rank II

Contributor III

Smithsburg, MD, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Bachtell
Member #

Flagpole seems to be a favorite. Some great camping. PA seems to be tough on campgrounds. Don't see state or national parks like MD and VA.
Check out Cowans Gap, Caledonia St. Park, Burnt Cabins and Pine Grove Furnace. All great little overnighters or longer.

Reactions: SorrTrek

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Welcome To Overland Bound
You are in the East Region, local information can be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You can use the Member Map to find other members and events in your area. You can also send a message directly from the map to other members.
RESOURCE MAP
Adventure and Expedition Tutorials
Overland Bound One App Adventure and Expedition Tutorials
Quick adult & youth Tread Lightly online awareness course.
Online Courses - Tread Lightly
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course
Check out Overland Expo https://www.OverlandExpo.com
If you have any questions don't hesitate to message me, hopefully I can get you going in the right direction. @Kent R or Kent@OverlandBound.com

er waddell

Rank VI
Investor

Influencer I

Bay Colony Street, Las Vegas, Nevada 89131, United States
First Name
Earl
Last Name
Waddell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7GYU
Service Branch
United States Army
Welcome to OB.

My favorite OBX beach trip is Portsmouth Island. 18 miles of beach (was 22). No hotels or restaurants. Can camp along the beach anywhere the turtles aren't.
The southern end has some park cabins and a ranger station. The North end has an old town. The only residents of the town are mosquitos now.
I need a new OBX sticker for my FJ. The old one faded and peeled off. lol

1645451145472.png