Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
The new Skycamp 4x 2.0 is quite a bit better and more refined than all the previous Skycamp versions. On the 2.0, the ladder steps are angled to give you a flat step (no sharp corner to step on), the mattress is 2 pieces and 2” high density, spring rods included to prop out the window storm flaps, thicker outer shell, 1 bolt mounting brackets with anti theft option, better graphics, and best of all, straps to pull the tent fabric together when closing which makes it truly zero tucking in when you close it down. This game changing tent just keeps getting better!

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
The new Skycamp 4x 2.0 is quite a bit better and more refined than all the previous Skycamp versions. On the 2.0, the ladder steps are angled to give you a flat step (no sharp corner to step on), the mattress is 2 pieces and 2” high density, spring rods included to prop out the window storm flaps, thicker outer shell, 1 bolt mounting brackets with anti theft option, better graphics, and best of all, straps to pull the tent fabric together when closing which makes it truly zero tucking in when you close it down. This game changing tent just keeps getting better!
It's all of these improvements that has me back to considering the iKamper again. This addresses most of my issues with the original version and the new 1 bolt mounting bracket is super slick. My RTT goes back and forth between our trailer and the Jeep and those brackets would negate the need for the Frontrunner quick release brackets we use currently. It seems like the one bolt bracket accessed from the side would still be easy to use on a Rhinorack Pioneer rack with the flush mount accessory bars unless I am missing something. Now if they would just put a floor in the annex....lol.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

It's all of these improvements that has me back to considering the iKamper again. This addresses most of my issues with the original version and the new 1 bolt mounting bracket is super slick. My RTT goes back and forth between our trailer and the Jeep and those brackets would negate the need for the Frontrunner quick release brackets we use currently. It seems like the one bolt bracket accessed from the side would still be easy to use on a Rhinorack Pioneer rack with the flush mount accessory bars unless I am missing something. Now if they would just put a floor in the annex....lol.
Yeah, you don’t want a floor in an Annex for so many reasons.

Having said that a couple of really good tarps and a few solid tent stakes are an option if you need a floor because of the terrain. But a built in floor in an annex IMO is a mistake in design.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
I just got my annex and insulation tent today for my iKamper, just in time for my OLB father’s day trip up to the Lost Coast of CA! I got the insulation tent because I’ve done enough trips to the desert now to know that it can get cold at night and though a buddy heater helps I don’t want to have it on all night. So I’m looking forward to trying out the insulation soon. I have a version 1.5 I would say of the iKamper. I have locks to close the lid but no drawstring or ladder modification. I might actually get a new ladder just to make it more comfortable when exiting the tent in bare feet. Almost every RTT has that issue, and level steps is nice. The ladder is $150 and figure I can sell my original hopefully for like $70.

I like the guys at www.offroadtents.com. They are in CA yet “based” in Wy so there’s no tax and free shipping. Gotta like that

Reactions: JCWages and sabjku

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
Yeah, you don’t want a floor in an Annex for so many reasons.

Having said that a couple of really good tarps and a few solid tent stakes are an option if you need a floor because of the terrain. But a built in floor in an annex IMO is a mistake in design.
Ha! Yeah, actually I DO want an Annex floor for many reasons.

We currently have a CVT Mt. Shasta RTT with an annex that has a zip off floor. We don't use the annex without the floor. My daughters appreciate being able to sleep in the annex without having critters crawling across them, as does our 100lb German Shepard. It provides a nice clean environment to get dressed in or eat a meal in when the weather takes a turn. Could the floor be accomplished with tarps? Sure, to some degree, but the lack of an attached floor is still going to let mice, chipmunks, etc find their way in but not always out! Also, since it stays attached to the annex, there's no extra fiddling around getting tarps tacked down with their edges just right so as not to allow water to find it's way in.

IMO it's a mistake to make an annex without a zip off floor as it gives the buyer the option to go with or without the floor which for some people is a deal breaker.

Guess we'll agree to disagree on this one :grinning:

All that said, I really like the iKamper 2.0 so I'm not ruling it out, but it seems like it wouldn't be hard for them to add the floor as an option for those who want or require it.

Reactions: QCrunner and sabjku

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
D0DE1E83-E9D7-4BCE-B26D-C1E696521F9D.jpeg962C7C0F-D922-4CD2-BC36-8853563E412A.jpegFor reference to previous annex owners!! Some new annexes came in today at work (rhinoadventuregear.com) and they have instructions now! Pretty cool. I wouldn’t put it past them if they added a floor attachment option to the annex in the near future.

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

Awesome setup @Jeepsies ! Great write-up you did as well! The iKamper is definitely one that I've looked at myself as well, as I want to get away from a softshell RTT. I REALLY like that Freespirt Adventure series that's the hardshell powertop, like what Marco has. Decisions, decisions.

Reactions: Hourless Life

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

Ha! Yeah, actually I DO want an Annex floor for many reasons.

We currently have a CVT Mt. Shasta RTT with an annex that has a zip off floor. We don't use the annex without the floor. My daughters appreciate being able to sleep in the annex without having critters crawling across them, as does our 100lb German Shepard. It provides a nice clean environment to get dressed in or eat a meal in when the weather takes a turn. Could the floor be accomplished with tarps? Sure, to some degree, but the lack of an attached floor is still going to let mice, chipmunks, etc find their way in but not always out! Also, since it stays attached to the annex, there's no extra fiddling around getting tarps tacked down with their edges just right so as not to allow water to find it's way in.

IMO it's a mistake to make an annex without a zip off floor as it gives the buyer the option to go with or without the floor which for some people is a deal breaker.

Guess we'll agree to disagree on this one :grinning:

All that said, I really like the iKamper 2.0 so I'm not ruling it out, but it seems like it wouldn't be hard for them to add the floor as an option for those who want or require it.
I agree with you on this one as well. I also like having the floor in the Annex. About the only time I don't use it is during the winter, when the bugs/mosquitos and heavy rain, aren't an issue. I've actually never tried storing the annex with the floor attached. Do you do yours this way?

Reactions: dstock

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
I agree with you on this one as well. I also like having the floor in the Annex. About the only time I don't use it is during the winter, when the bugs/mosquitos and heavy rain, aren't an issue. I've actually never tried storing the annex with the floor attached. Do you do yours this way?
I have not tried to store it that way, although I have seen where folks store it with the annex attached but without the floor. Frankly, I'm not sure I have enough room under the cover to do either.

I keep threatening to give it a try, I'll let you know when I do!

Reactions: sabjku

Rchr

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Brownsville, Texas
First Name
Javier
Last Name
Escobedo
Member #

I am torn between the iKamper 2.0 and the Alu-Cab RTT.
What I like about the iKamper (4) is the size. My wife, my daughter and I could all sleep in there. The annex is also a must for me and the way the iKamper annex attaches and works appears to be awesome. What I don't like is the plastic top cover.
What I like about the Alu-Cab is the aluminum cover. It is a lot tougher than any plastic cover. Unfortunately it doesn't look like my family and I would fit, not comfortably at least.
If iKamper would make a tent with an aluminum cover, that would be awesome but they would probably add about another $1,000. :(

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

View attachment 102083View attachment 102082For reference to previous annex owners!! Some new annexes came in today at work (rhinoadventuregear.com) and they have instructions now! Pretty cool. I wouldn’t put it past them if they added a floor attachment option to the annex in the near future.
Thanks for posting this! We never got instructions with ours. We'll have to give this process a try.

Reactions: shoredreamer

OdessaUA

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Farmington Hills, Michigan, USA
First Name
LEON
Last Name
STETSENKO
Member #

Just received mine last Friday . After long way going between Yes & No I sold my wife's Range Rover (best way to fix this truck ) we are decided to buy IKamper !
and we have no regrets at all.

Attachments