If you can't leave it better than you found it, just don't go.

• HTML tutorial

OtherOrb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ
First Name
Moses
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7QIF
The Coronado National Forest posted these and other photos on their facebook page yesterday.

These people are not campers or outdoorsy or recreationists. They're parasites. They left their garbage. They left their fires. They left their crap to be taken care of by someone else. These are some of the worst kind of people.

Don't be a parasite.

Leave the land better than you found it.

Yes, yes, everyone here on OB is a leave-no-trace. In a group this large, I can only hope that's true.
But it still bears repeating again and again.

Leave it better than you found it.

These photos are from three distinct campfires on the same weekend in the same forest. Three distinct sets of parasites invading our public lands with no regard for anyone else. This makes me so very angry.

And no, this is not new. Smokey the Bear and anti-litterbug campaigns in the USA have existed for more than 50 years. We've seen this same idiotic, selfish behavior on our public lands for millennia. Ancient Greece had a roadsign that stated, "Whoever drops their litter on the street owes 51 drachmae to whoever wishes to claim them."

Coronado National Forest's Facebook Post

BlueLineOverland

Local Expert, Arkansas USA

Experimenter II

Ozark Arkansas
First Name
Mason
Last Name
Berry
Member #

Unreal!!!! I frequent Colorado every weekend in the summer to escape the heat and humidity of Arkansas. So much so I purchased land there to offset camping costs (at least that's what I pitched to my wife :tearsofjoy:) Last summer I couldn't breathe because of all the smoke from wild fires and spent the majority of my time picking up trash rather than relaxing. Its sad inconsiderate people have to ruin our paradise!

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Huelsman
Unreal!!!! I frequent Colorado every weekend in the summer to escape the heat and humidity of Arkansas. So much so I purchased land there to offset camping costs (at least that's what I pitched to my wife :tearsofjoy:) Last summer I couldn't breathe because of all the smoke from wild fires and spent the majority of my time picking up trash rather than relaxing. Its sad inconsiderate people have to ruin our paradise!
Nice! What area of colorado? We’re in colorado and cant say Ive ever been to Arkansas and just know its southeast somewhere lol.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

It drives me nuts when I see cans in a camp fire...metal doesn't burn, you morons! I see it all the time, sadly.

Seems like every time I go out in the woods, I end up packing back more of other people's trash than my own.

That's one of the reasons I'm glad to be a part of OB, and organization that unabashedly promotes respect for and stewardship of wild places, and expects every member to live out those ideals.

BlueLineOverland

Local Expert, Arkansas USA

Experimenter II

Ozark Arkansas
First Name
Mason
Last Name
Berry
Member #

Nice! What area of colorado? We’re in colorado and cant say Ive ever been to Arkansas and just know its southeast somewhere lol.
My land is in BonCarbo just West of Trinidad. Arkansas is beautiful and the trail systems are incredible. I love it here other than in the summer with the 105 and 100% humidity hahaha

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
It has been suggested the SoCal NAXJA Adopt-A-Trail crew change its name to "Modelo Bottle and Can Removal".

However, those aren't anywhere near as bad as the dump-load of roofing that got donated for Cleghorn. You know everyone just loves roofing nails.

The more I deal with people the more I love my dog.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I'm already a grumpy old man, Please don't get me started on this subject. I'm itching to bitch my head off about values, but not here. You are the choir !
We pick up our s - - -, because it is OUR standard of good behavior. We are lucky that a lot of the trash makers cant get back in the woods and trails as far as we do. There is no excuse for being a SLOB !

Reactions: Baipin and Anak

OtherOrb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ
First Name
Moses
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7QIF
In my area, I see trashers from every walk of life and with every kind of vehicle. People in built-up, "overlanding" rigs; people in electric and hybrid cars; people in beat-up rock crawlers; people in minivans; people in sedans; people in pickups; people in mall crawlers; people in Teslas; people in Porsches; people in Toyotas, etc., etc., etc., ad nauseum. And these vehicles have license plates from all 50 States and from out of the country (even European plates). And these vehicles have bumper stickers from everywhere: Trump supporters and Hillary supporters and vegans and overlanding stickers and NRA supporters and everything in between. The trash that's left behind comes from all sorts of people.

Disrespect for nature and lack of ethical behavior when exploring the outdoors comes in all flavors and from all across the spectrum.

And so does respect for nature and ethical behavior when exploring the outdoors.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
In my area, I see trashers from every walk of life and with every kind of vehicle. People in built-up, "overlanding" rigs; people in electric and hybrid cars; people in beat-up rock crawlers; people in minivans; people in sedans; people in pickups; people in mall crawlers; people in Teslas; people in Porsches; people in Toyotas, etc., etc., etc., ad nauseum. And these vehicles have license plates from all 50 States and from out of the country (even European plates). And these vehicles have bumper stickers from everywhere: Trump supporters and Hillary supporters and vegans and overlanding stickers and NRA supporters and everything in between. The trash that's left behind comes from all sorts of people.

Disrespect for nature and lack of ethical behavior when exploring the outdoors comes in all flavors and from all across the spectrum.

And so does respect for nature and ethical behavior when exploring the outdoors.
What you say is exactly why I made the comment I did in my post. There is still more that could be said that what you said. I wont go there but you are totally right.

Reactions: OtherOrb

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

We have a 120,000 acre wildfire that has been burning for 3 weeks now out my back door, all because someone was careless. We were camping up on the rim a few weeks ago and a ranger stopped to talk to us about out teardrop. We talked for awhile, he said he was trying to get a 30-40 gallon water tank for the back of his truck just to put out campfires. He has a few local volunteers that drive around on Sunday afternoons checking campfires after people leave.

On the plus side we were up at Marshal Lake and the people that pulled in behind us cleaned up a big area around their campsite. She had two kitchen garbage bags half full including toilet paper. Need more people like that. Made us want to up our game and carry more garbage bags and get some of those reach aid, picker-upper things to keep in the teardrop.

IMG_0314.JPG

Reactions: OtherOrb

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
We have a 120,000 acre wildfire that has been burning for 3 weeks now out my back door, all because someone was careless. We were camping up on the rim a few weeks ago and a ranger stopped to talk to us about out teardrop. We talked for awhile, he said he was trying to get a 30-40 gallon water tank for the back of his truck just to put out campfires. He has a few local volunteers that drive around on Sunday afternoons checking campfires after people leave.

On the plus side we were up at Marshal Lake and the people that pulled in behind us cleaned up a big area around their campsite. She had two kitchen garbage bags half full including toilet paper. Need more people like that. Made us want to up our game and carry more garbage bags and get some of those reach aid, picker-upper things to keep in the teardrop.

View attachment 105443
Do they know if it was caused by neglect ? WE had a big fire in my area 4 years ago that lasted for 6 months. They couldn't put it out because of the terrane. The feds wouldn't give a dime to help even though it was a national forrest.

Todd & Meg

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

They are saying human caused now. But is started in a popular area for camping and off-road use on a Saturday afternoon. Good chance it was from campers.

This fire is in very remote wilderness area also. The good thing is there are very few wildfires burning now so there are over 900 firefighters working it. Should be under control in a few more days from the sound of it.

Todd

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
They are saying human caused now. But is started in a popular area for camping and off-road use on a Saturday afternoon. Good chance it was from campers.

This fire is in very remote wilderness area also. The good thing is there are very few wildfires burning now so there are over 900 firefighters working it. Should be under control in a few more days from the sound of it.

Todd
It's awful that people can be so careless especially when there is plenty of warnings about fires constantly and every one should know when they are in a fire hazard season. I worry about the fourth of July here. If it hasn't been raining, and it seldom does before the 4th, grass fires can take off instantly. People come out to my area to visit family and friend and even though fireworks are not allow, the parents are busy drinking beer and BBQ, let the kids run rampant and shoot off their fireworks while the parents hoop it up. I'm amazed when I hear the rockets going off, look out the door and see parents helping their children fire them off in the direction of my house. WE don't have maintained lawns here. We have grass land and juniper trees that no matter how green they look, they burst into flame easily.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

It drives me nuts when I see cans in a camp fire.

yep, if you can pack it in full of liquid... how hard is it to pack it out empty.

and this.
BC has started patrolling highways and tagging people who flick it.

In May we had 217 wild fires.
5 started from lightning
5 unknown causes
207 human activity causes

Most beside the roadway
I'm thinking ashtrays should be mandatory in EVERY car

butt-flick-out-car-window-01.jpeg

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

yep, if you can pack it in full of liquid... how hard is it to pack it out empty.

and this.
BC has started patrolling highways and tagging people who flick it.

In May we had 217 wild fires.
5 started from lightning
5 unknown causes
207 human activity causes

Most beside the roadway
I'm thinking ashtrays should be mandatory in EVERY car

View attachment 105522
s
It used to be that every vehicle had at least one ash tray. Now, very few have any. Nonetheless, there is still no excuse; you can buy an ashtray that fits in your cupholder from the dollar store for a buck.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Nonetheless, there is still no excuse; you can buy an ashtray that fits in your cupholder from the dollar store for a buck.
No excuse but given the extent of the problem, a simple "solution".
Most of our regulations address ways to provide simple solutions to control problems. Mandatory ashtrays would be a start.

What is happening between Horseshoe Bay and Squamish is revolting.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

No excuse but given the extent of the problem, a simple "solution".
Most of our regulations address ways to provide simple solutions to control problems. Mandatory ashtrays would be a start.

What is happening between Horseshoe Bay and Squamish is revolting.
Yeah, for sure. It's almost certainly some careless idiot tossing a cigarette butt. Thankfully it's 100% contained now.

You're coming to BCOR, right?