If you can't leave it better than you found it, just don't go.

• HTML tutorial

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
yep, if you can pack it in full of liquid... how hard is it to pack it out empty.

and this.
BC has started patrolling highways and tagging people who flick it.

In May we had 217 wild fires.
5 started from lightning
5 unknown causes
207 human activity causes

Most beside the roadway
I'm thinking ashtrays should be mandatory in EVERY car

View attachment 105522
Remember when they were SOP ?

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
It doesn't matter if the vehicle has an ashtray or not. I see plenty of people flicking butts out of vehicles that I know have ashtrays. They simply don't want to live with their own trash. Make it someone else's problem.

These are the same people who leave their cans behind. Or anything else they don't want to deal with. Make it someone else's problem.

It is a lifestyle.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

It doesn't matter if the vehicle has an ashtray or not. I see plenty of people flicking butts out of vehicles that I know have ashtrays. They simply don't want to live with their own trash. Make it someone else's problem.

These are the same people who leave their cans behind. Or anything else they don't want to deal with. Make it someone else's problem.

It is a lifestyle.
Yeah, the lifestyle of being a gigantic a..hole.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Yeah, the lifestyle of being a gigantic a..hole.
Do you see anything in popular culture that encourages anything else?

Responsibility is out. "Look at me, I'm the most important person on the planet" is in. Or "I'm a victim and should be able to do anything I want because of it."

Nobody wants to hear about ethics or hard work. Bring that up and you must be one of those intolerant bastages.

I have learned to wear all those badges with honor. Racist, bigot, homophobe, bitter clinger, depolorable...whatever the disparaging label du jour is, I can wear it with pride. Given that I know where it is coming from.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

Responsibility is out. "Look at me, I'm the most important person on the planet" is in. Or "I'm a victim and should be able to do anything I want because of it."

Nobody wants to hear about ethics or hard work. Bring that up and you must be one of those intolerant bastages.

I have learned to wear all those badges with honor. Racist, bigot, homophobe, bitter clinger, depolorable...whatever the disparaging label du jour is, I can wear it with pride. Given that I know where it is coming from.
My thoughts exactly ! I don't say it as well but i'm with ya..

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

Read the thread "checking in"

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I think this site is great. Not very much talk but a lot of Overlanding by our fellow member. I hope he dosent kill me for posting this.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
It drives me nuts when I see cans in a camp fire...metal doesn't burn, you morons! I see it all the time, sadly.

Seems like every time I go out in the woods, I end up packing back more of other people's trash than my own.

That's one of the reasons I'm glad to be a part of OB, and organization that unabashedly promotes respect for and stewardship of wild places, and expects every member to live out those ideals.

If that was true, my fire ring at home would have 700 cans in it, 1000 feet of tin foil, and a 33cf scuba tank.

Al burns just fine. You just need more heat than people make with poorly built camp fires. Aluminum is used in thermite, fireworks, and solid rocket engines.

Are those rings supposed to be left there? Or are they supposed to be flattened out or something? A few cans in a permanent fire ring isn't going to get me fired up.

Endless trash everywhere, like we're seeing from ca people visiting Az, is so much worse. Garbage in a fire ring, would be a huge step up. Lolz.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
i'll drink to that!
I'll have to agree with CR-Venturer--- pack it in , pack it out. Bury your S - - - if it stinks and it all does. I'm not very tolerant !
I live 25 miles from town. Once a month clean up crews work both sides of the highway. When they are finished there is a large black yard type bag filled with mostly beer or coke cans along both sides of the road about every 50 yards apart for miles, with tons of trash thrown from cars by idiot passengers. These same patrons of the camp sites are of the same mentality as the ones going down the road in their cars. I cant blame another states population for trashing my state, I think it's about the same everywhere. People are pigs because they were not taught to be otherwise. To bad its not mandatory that all people (Men and women) have to spend 2 years after high school in the service of our country, It would be a different and better USA !! Lastly for those of us who complain about trash in the USA, try living in Mexico or any S. American country, or anywhere in the near or far east. Squalor is rampant and it comes from ignorance and poverty. (IMO)Lanlubber

Reactions: grubworm and Anak

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
Lastly for those of us who complain about trash in the USA, try living in Mexico or any S. American country, or anywhere in the near or far east. Squalor is rampant and it comes from ignorance and poverty. (IMO)Lanlubber
Or even Paris.

I was there in 1999. What I remember best were all the public service billboards trying to get people to clean up after their dogs. Images such as a blind guy with a bunch of canine stool samples all skewered on his cane, or a child with a starfish sand mold making dog poo starfishes. Of course these were made up marketing pieces, but they were there for a reason. The place looked like a dump and there were plenty of examples of folks not cleaning up after their dogs in all sorts of very public and high profile places. I can't imagine things have improved much in 20 years. I have no intention of going back to check either.

The USA, for all its warts and bruises, is still the best place I have found on earth. The goal is to keep it that way. Those who work against that deserve to be publicly denounced. Maybe even placed in stocks and bombarded with their own trash.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
The USA, for all its warts and bruises, is still the best place I have found on earth. The goal is to keep it that way. Those who work against that deserve to be publicly denounced. Maybe even placed in stocks and bombarded with their own trash.
The more I interact with people from other countries the more I feel the same, the US is awesome. I think one of the biggest problems in our culture is so much promotes the idea of each individual being better than the next person, which in some people leads to a sense of entitlement which negatively impacts their behavior. I really wish that our federal government put more emphasis on protecting the natural world. I think we would all be better off with fewer wars and more park rangers...

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]
Now that makes sense to me! I feel ya on that!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
If that was true, my fire ring at home would have 700 cans in it, 1000 feet of tin foil, and a 33cf scuba tank.

Al burns just fine. You just need more heat than people make with poorly built camp fires. Aluminum is used in thermite, fireworks, and solid rocket engines.

Are those rings supposed to be left there? Or are they supposed to be flattened out or something? A few cans in a permanent fire ring isn't going to get me fired up.

Endless trash everywhere, like we're seeing from ca people visiting Az, is so much worse. Garbage in a fire ring, would be a huge step up. Lolz.
There is a diff between a can (trash) and alum dust (chemical). A can wont explode unless it has something in it.
A tire or a fender left in Mojavi is no worse than a beer can in my opinion. All are considered trash and only people with disregard for the land will leave either behind. What people from California are you talking about.
No excuse but given the extent of the problem, a simple "solution".
Most of our regulations address ways to provide simple solutions to control problems. Mandatory ashtrays would be a start.

What is happening between Horseshoe Bay and Squamish is revolting.
Nothing like hearing it from someone who lives or visits in those areas. To me that's the kind of environmental clean up we need. Climate change will happen no matter what man does, but trash, we shouldn't have to put up with it if we could just teach people how to care about it. I will always remember the TV commercial in the 60's that showed a Native American looking out across a river or lake and then they showed you the tears in his eyes. Then the camera pointed towards the river bank showing all the trash in the river thrown there by man. That led to the biggest clean up in American history. Maybe they should start showing it again for this generation of party goers and good time
addicts !

Reactions: Baipin

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

That led to the biggest clean up in American history.
But if we quit generating trash. If we quit using plastic. If we quit building "disposable" phones... appliances.... cars. If we start building things to last 40 years and regulate manufacturers to supply parts, service, support. If we only manufacture things which will degrade naturally, quickly in our environment. If we made land fills illegal. IF manufacturers HAD to take back every product they made and RECYCLE every component. There would be a whole lot of crying, but the world, you & I would sure benefit.

Then, there might never be a need for a clean up.
Of course this would need a GLOBAL initiative.

Unfortunately corporate profits dictate what our politicians do.... even the best ones.
Like the generation of garbage, deregulation is driven by corporate profits and politicians are driven by corporate donations.

Last edited:
Reactions: Baipin

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
You can do all of that yourself, right now. Buy hardy products, keep them as long as possible, then recycle them. Try to quit being a consumer.

You can't do that with legislation. You can't force that on others. You can only lead by example. "

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

You can do all of that yourself, right now. Buy hardy products, keep them as long as possible, then recycle them. Try to quit being a consumer.

You can't do that with legislation. You can't force that on others. You can only lead by example. "
wow.... you cannot do it without regulation. NO one will build a clean product. There is NO clean choice until you regulate it.

Regulation is not a bad word. Regulation levels the playing field. There are plenty of corporations so inept they cannot compete on a level field. THEY are the ones driving deregulation. I've managed a few companys who did real well in a regulated environment. We looked at the rules and did it better. AND WE WERE PROUD of that accomplishment.

Here in Canada our previous leader.... Stevie Wonder.... found a way easier than deregulation. He slashed the budgets for every enforcement agency. The Coast Guard closed stations, retired ships and staff.
Our local forest service office went from 15 staff to 3.

You are an idiot if you think the country can clean things up by leaving it up to consumers to buy green products when there is zero incentive to make green products. And I know,,, there is that GREEN word which half the country thinks is COMMIE. We have no chance as long as you let the government cut funding for education and close public schools.

Reactions: Baipin and Dilldog

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
wow.... you cannot do it without regulation. NO one will build a clean product. There is NO clean choice until you regulate it.

Regulation is not a bad word. Regulation levels the playing field. There are plenty of corporations so inept they cannot compete on a level field. THEY are the ones driving deregulation. I've managed a few companys who did real well in a regulated environment. We looked at the rules and did it better. AND WE WERE PROUD of that accomplishment.

Here in Canada our previous leader.... Stevie Wonder.... found a way easier than deregulation. He slashed the budgets for every enforcement agency. The Coast Guard closed stations, retired ships and staff.

You are an idiot if you think the country can clean things up by leaving it up to consumers to buy green products when there is zero incentive to make green products. And I know,,, there is that GREEN word which half the country thinks is COMMIE. We have no chance as long as you let the government cut funding for education and close public schools.
I believe almost everything is recyclable. The only regulation needed is that you must recycle everything you buy. Put the responsibility on the buying public. Americans do a pretty good job of that now for the most part. Some trash must go into a land fill but Not solid waste that aren't degradable. Again I say it is education, not a collage degree but the kind of education your parents teach you. Recycle back to the manufacture and make him dispose of the product he sold. I assure you that wouldn't last for long, he would either recycle it himself or produce a product that will last. Teaching modern people to not throw away will be the hardest. We have been raised to be wasteful because of designed obsolescence, and to covet thy neighbors goods.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness

You sound like someone that thinks TierV cleaned up our cars.

Sounds like a canadian problem. We're already doing it down here. Pack out our aluminum and plastic for recycling. I can name hundreds of American companies making clean products.

Quit buying cheap junk that won't last the rest of our lifes.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I would love to be proven wrong but I doubt it is happening.