If you are thinking of heading to Mexico. Here's what it cost us.

• HTML tutorial

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

For anyone considering a trip south of the border, this is an article we wish we had before we went to help us plan out a budget. We tracked every penny and peso spent.

Read the article here: Cost of Overlanding Through the Interior of Mexico

We presented on this topic at Overland Expo West this year and hope it will be helpful to any of our fellow Overland Bound members considering a trip south of the border.

Let me know if you have any questions!

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
That's a very good article...lots of useful information for sure. Thanks for posting it.
Traveling in the US a room alone is easily $152 a night, so y'all did great expense wise!

Reactions: Hourless Life

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

That's a very good article...lots of useful information for sure. Thanks for posting it.
Traveling in the US a room alone is easily $152 a night, so y'all did great expense wise!
Appreciate that. All credit to my wife for this article though. She really spent a lot of time on it. And honestly it could have been much cheaper if we didn't work fulltime and were just on vacation. I'd highly recommend that anyone who is looking to take a 2+ week vacation consider a trip into the interior of Mexico.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Haven't been to mexico since they blew up my seat on the Coz ferry.

Hopefully they get it together. Cheapest good vacation.

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

We'll be headed to Baja in 2020 for about 2 months. During that time we're doing a 2 week trip with other overlanders March 14-29th.

Should be a good time. More Mexico goodness on the horizon. ~ Eric, Brittany, and Caspian

Mulli - Jax

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Rancho Santa Margarita, CA, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Mulligan
Member #

We'll be headed to Baja in 2020 for about 2 months. During that time we're doing a 2 week trip with other overlanders March 14-29th.

Should be a good time. More Mexico goodness on the horizon. ~ Eric, Brittany, and Caspian
If you don't mind an extra and a dog....on the 2 wekke trip with other overlanders i would love to join. Out of RSM (Socal). Been wanting to head down to CABO, more hitting the smaller towns and fishing villages, I am open on departure time and length of trip, as I have my own business.

Steve

Mulli - Jax

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Rancho Santa Margarita, CA, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Mulligan
Member #

great stuff! looking to drive through Mexico, gulf side to Belize in Dec 2020. Thank you!
Keep me posted......great video of a guy from Huntington Beach going through mexico and 6 central/south american countries. I am looking to head down to CABO as a starter in the next 6 months, doing the Oregan Back Country Trail, and the Southwest CO circuit....I definitely would be interested in going down to Belize but hope there would be a small group, at least 4 rigs, if possible.

oneleglance

Rank V

Contributor II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7NKP
Great write up...
I mainly travel to Baja and the cost is cheap enough I rarely even worry about it....at $1 to $1.25USD per taco food is cheap enough to always eat out.
When we beach camp I will buy a to go container of meat and have them pack up the tortillas and extras on the side, we just reheat in camp.
Fuel is always the major expense in Mexico and cost more than our prices in Arizona, but that is usually the case in any travel we do, if you want to drive then pay the fuel bill.

Reactions: 64Trvlr