Idependent - cv axle pros and cons

• HTML tutorial

wheelhard916

Rank I

Contributor III

Most trucks today have cv axles for the front. Commonly using a torsion bar set up. Many off readers claim that solid front and rear is the only way to go. Anybody agree or disagree ?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

iluvdrt

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Oceanside, Ca
Member #

There is no correct answer to this question. I have had both, and I prefer independent.

Independent provides a smother ride at the expense of complexity and slightly less durability when comparing stock to stock. Most of the trails I do, do not require a solid axle, and being as most of them are fields of baby heads and wash board, the IFS and IRS system I have provides a good comfortable ride and allows for a bit more speed. They do require a bit more maintenance though and are difficult to lift/mod. As well as expensive.

Now, when I was into hard trail riding and rock crawling, nothing beat a solid axle. It was easy to maintain, provided excellent clearance and broke way less frequently. However, once I started overlanding and camping more the fuel consumption rate and ride quality really took a toll.

MPG's are effected because a solid axle generally weighs more than an IFS system and is usually installed on a much more robust rig than what generally comes with IFS/IRS.

This is my take.

Phil Preston

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Shelbyville, KY USA
First Name
Phil
Last Name
Preston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4LET
Service Branch
First Responder
I believe they both have their pros and cons. Strength wise you can built an ifs just as strong as a solid axle, and I've seen both used on KOH trucks, Baja and Pro 4 trucks, so they are plenty strong. I personally tend to lean for the solid axle for a simpler design, and more articulation from the suspension when disconnected.

FJ81

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southern California
Member #

Solid axles are king!!! End of discussion! Just kidding, they both work well if you know their limits. My 80 has solid axles, but just because they are known to be stronger also doesnt mean I am going to do everything, foot to the floor all the time. He two previous posts make good points.
The more important issue is about the particular vehicle you intend to buy and how you plan to use it. Some vehicles may have weak links that can be addressed easily, whether it be cv axle upgrades, or items to adjust suspension geometry for a given lift height, or even things like tire choices. My old dodge ram had a Dana 60 front axle, if I went too big with the tires, I would eat up hubs on the front. The fix, 1500 to 2000 dollar lock out hubs... but I knew that going in so I kept modest 33inch tires on it and didnt have to spend the 2k. A buddy of mine went to a cheap 6 inch lift and put 38s on his. Guess who was wearing out front end components a couple of years later?

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

A lot of it has to do with personal preference, I don't believe that I f s rides any better especially on washboard roads because of their limited up and down travel , a well-designed straight axle to me will always ride better and get better mpg because most every straight axle vehicle can unlock the hubs and allow the front end of freely spin . Plus Tires tires tend to last longer on a straight axle vehicle because it's extremely hard to keep a alignment perfect with ifs due to a lot of different moving parts .
But to some people they prefer the way and ifs rides and that's perfectly fine whatever it is that you want to use that actually get you out to use it is the best thing for you

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

The short answer is solid front axles are stronger and capable of greater articulation (i.e., better off road). Solid axles are also much easier to service, lift, and are more easily swappable to an upgraded axle assembly. For those reasons, they are preferred for off road vehicles.

Independent front suspension is more stable and comfortable on road.