Ideas for truck bed foldable hard sided tent?

• HTML tutorial

dads2vette

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Ash Fork AZ
First Name
David
Last Name
Costantino
First, hello to all. Sorry my first (ok, second, first after intro) post is a question.

I truck camp quite a bit. I lived in various tents for 18 months while building the homestead. I still like setting up a tent and all the assorted gear that goes along with a weeks worth of camping but for overnighters...it's getting a little old.

Next May-July I have a camping trip planned for the Yellowstone Ecosystem and Glacier National Park area. Most of the time I'll be setting camp for a week at a time but there will be a few days I want to get up early and head for sunrise and not have to take the time to break camp. I've been looking for ideas and/or plans for what I have in my head to no avail. I'd like to not make the mistakes that I'm sure accompany this type of build.

This is what I'm thinking: Think of a hard shell tonneau cover except it hinges from the side and becomes one side of the structure. The other side can be hinged from the other side and brought up to meet at the ridge. Obviously, slightly smaller than the first side so it fits under it or it could be canvas or silnylon or other material. Front wall folds up for support and the back would be canvas or other material that can be zippered in place or moved out of the way in order to remove things from the bed or access roll out drawers.

Think 2 man pup tent that sits on the walls of the bed without a floor. Yes, I could just get a tent for the bed but i'm looking for something a little different.

Throw your ideas, questions, insults my way...I'm all ears...which makes buying gloves a challenge.

dave

dads2vette

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Ash Fork AZ
First Name
David
Last Name
Costantino
Well, that's a cool product but not what I'm looking for. Looking for an "A" frame that runs front to back with the tonneau cover as one of the sides.

Thanks,
dave

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

I think I see where you are going with this and I think it is a great idea. I do know that there is nothing out there on the market.
What would be cool having the tonneau cover come up to 90 degrees and then have the tent come down to the bed, this would give you a very large tent area.
Look at the VW pop top from the 60's. Same idea. camper-5.jpg

Reactions: dads2vette

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
If you fab it yourself, look into alumalite sign board material. It works great, is light and waterproof.

dads2vette

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Ash Fork AZ
First Name
David
Last Name
Costantino
I think I see where you are going with this and I think it is a great idea. I do know that there is nothing out there on the market.
What would be cool having the tonneau cover come up to 90 degrees and then have the tent come down to the bed, this would give you a very large tent area.
Look at the VW pop top from the 60's. Same idea.
Exactly, I have a sub-par back and sometimes I just can't hunch in the tent without pain. That's why I have a 5 person tent and a cot.

Thanks, Dave

dads2vette

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Ash Fork AZ
First Name
David
Last Name
Costantino
If you fab it yourself, look into alumalite sign board material. It works great, is light and waterproof.
Great idea. Have you worked with it? What kind of support am I looking at for a short bed? Does it require a "stud" every couple feet or....?

Thanks,
dave

Reactions: old_man

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Great idea. Have you worked with it? What kind of support am I looking at for a short bed? Does it require a "stud" every couple feet or....?

Thanks,
dave
It comes in a variety of configurations. You should get yourself some samples online to see how rigid it is. It is like corrugated cardboard clad with aluminum on one or more sides, but instead of cardboard, it is plastic. I grove it with a v cutter and fill the seam with weather strip adhesive, then bend it. They even make multiple layer versions. The price can vary but when you figure the strength and finished surface, it gets cheaper. It is at least as tough as 1/4" marine grade plywood.