mdhenninger

Rank 0

Contributor I

Simpsonville, SC, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Henninger
Hello, I am new to the group and the Overlanding concept as a whole. I am looking to see if I like Overlanding and hope to do some easy trails/roads to start since I only have an '02 Tacoma Prerunner which is 2 wheel drive. Any suggestions on roads with accessible camping with views to get a taste to see if it is for me? I am a hiker, mountain biker that likes the outdoors, and I am curious to see if Overlanding would complement those activities like I think it would.

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hello, I am new to the group and the Overlanding concept as a whole. I am looking to see if I like Overlanding and hope to do some easy trails/roads to start since I only have an '02 Tacoma Prerunner which is 2 wheel drive. Any suggestions on roads with accessible camping with views to get a taste to see if it is for me? I am a hiker, mountain biker that likes the outdoors, and I am curious to see if Overlanding would complement those activities like I think it would.
I can’t recommend any roads or trails in your area, however I can affirm your idea that Overlanding will compliment your other outdoor activities... Overlanding simply is dispersed car camping. This means Camp grounds are generally avoided, and we explore the outdoors from our vehicles. For some of us, this is only as far as a trailhead to get to more remote destinations by foot, bicycle, horse, atv, boat, airplane, or what ever. So to answer your questions on everything else besides trails... the answer is yes. Overlanding will compliment your activities, your stock rig will handle your goals if it already works to get you out where you want to go.

check out the Member Meetups for trail runs in your area.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Looks like there are some options around Yellow Gap road in NC. Do the roadside sites need to be reserved?
No, roadside camping on Forrest Service Roads is always first come first serve... however read local laws as some places require permits, fire suppression equipment, or have other restrictions. Your local ranger district is a good place to go for this kind of information

Reactions: mdhenninger

HeelsFan72

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Chapel Hill NC
First Name
Tanner
Last Name
Hedrick
Member #

There are several good trails around Linville Gorge Wilderness in WNC. Try Old NC 105 - about 13 miles that runs North to South from Linville falls down to Lake James State Park. Fairly mild, mostly gravel with some rocks/ruts in some places. It runs parallel to the Linville Gorge, with lots of views, hikes, and campsites along the way. Some of the best mild off-pavement driving in the area IMO.

justjames

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Member #

Agreed with HeelsFan72. ^^
In the same area look at Globe Rd going south off Main St in Blowing Rock. Go left on Anthony Creek, right on Hwy 90 to Old Betsy's Country Store. Turn left on Brown Mtn Beach Rd. Its worth going all the way down then back tracking to Craig Creek Rd. Just west of this area is the Table Rock network of roads (some are closed during winter) which has many miles of dirt that your truck can handle.
Other roads in the area worth exploring are Pineola, Rosemont and Edgemont. Spend a few minutes on Google maps all these are easy to find.

Relic6.3

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Pat
Last Name
Crowell
Member #

I second @HeelsFan72 for starting out on Old Hwy 105. Beautiful views and easy camping. You might check out Mountains to Sea Overland He had done quite a bit of exploring in the Western NC and Northwestern SC areas and it is fairly easy to follow his movements.

If you use Gaia I have attached the gpx file for Old Hwy 105 showing the camping spots and I believe the trail heads and such.

GPX viewer

Attachments

mdhenninger

Rank 0

Contributor I

Simpsonville, SC, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Henninger
Thanks, I was going to try the Pisgah area, but called the Ranger station and it seems most roads are closed. Will I find the same in the Linville Gorge area?

avgjoe624

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fayetteville, NC, USA
Member #

If your looking to try out the overlanding experience, theres a perfect trail that actually starts in upstate sc right around mountain rest if im not mistaken, Its called the Georgia traverse and goes across upstate GA, if you have a weekend or 3 days to spare, id try that out and see how you like it. you can google it and they have a website with all the info you need, including waypoints and all that.

Hell, depending on when you do it i might do it with you.

theres also max patch to hurricane creek in western NC, thats a fun trail you can easily do in a day or two.

mdhenninger

Rank 0

Contributor I

Simpsonville, SC, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Henninger
If your looking to try out the overlanding experience, theres a perfect trail that actually starts in upstate sc right around mountain rest if im not mistaken, Its called the Georgia traverse and goes across upstate GA, if you have a weekend or 3 days to spare, id try that out and see how you like it. you can google it and they have a website with all the info you need, including waypoints and all that.

theres also max patch to hurricane creek in western NC, thats a fun trail you can easily do in a day or two.
Thanks, I have seen some video of those. I am thinking it might be a bit much on my two wheel drive I have now. Definitely on the list after I get a 4WD.

MikeDer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Clemson, SC
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Derrberry
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4QVG

This is good advice. I live in Clemson and as @avgjoe624 mentions, the GA traverse starts at Burrells Ford right off the Chattooga River. There are some campsites off Burrells Ford Road that are nice. I've done 90% of the traverse and in most cases you can get away with a 2WD as it's mostly dirt/gravel fire roads. There are some water crossings and a bit more challenging terrain as you get up around Charlie's creek but in SC portion, you'd be fine unless really muddy. Hurricane creek is also awesome but can be rutted out in a few areas which may pose a challenge for your truck.

Good luck!