Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Here's mine. 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 regular cab SWB 4x4, 5.2/auto. Bought it new; now with 230,000 miles. Rebuilt tranny at 100,000 miles, engine is original (but tired). 2" taller Skyjacker coil springs up front, 2" lift long-leaf add-a-leaf in the rear. Bilstein 5100 series shocks. 4.10 gears and true-tracs front and rear (& Perm-lock up front to get rid of vacuum crap). 285/75/16" tires on 16x8" rims. ARE fiberglass top.

It is on repaint job #3. First two times I had it repainted in the factory color (Driftwood) by Maaco. This last time I had it painted 2015 Corvette Shark Gray. Never any rust or real body damage - the usual parking lot dings.

The roof racks on the topper are from a Chevy Tahoe. I put in on there just to kinda break up the lines of the truck, but I do put two pairs of X-Bulls and a shovel up there when going Overlanding or someplace where the possibility exists of getting stuck.
Truck.1.jpg

Truck bed camping.jpg

Ignoreamos

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Tucson
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lansky
Member #

2020 Laramie HD build and some various pics of a trek I just completed out west to the Grand Canyon:

DiamondBack SE Bedcover
KB VooDoo Alumax Rack - 14"H x 70"L
iKamper SkyCamp 2x
Titan 52g Fuel Tank Replacement
Carli 2.5" Leveling Kit w/ Coils & Fox 2.0 Shocks
Nitto Ridge Grappler 35x20x12.5
Black Rhino Primm 20 x 9.5
WeBoost Drive 4G-X OTR

View attachment 160483View attachment 160484View attachment 160485View attachment 160486View attachment 160487View attachment 160488
how is the bike rack mounted? details?

bamnq6

Rank 0

Traveler I

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Benjamin
Last Name
Marti
Over the 3200 miles I've put on the Power Wagon, we're running at an average of 13.1 mpgs. I think we're still breaking in... Here's a chart of calc'd MPGs per tank (miles driven on the odometer divided by gallons to hit the 2nd shutoff at the pump).

2020 Power Wagon MPGs.PNG

Earlier this year I had a 2019 2500 Bighorn (4x4 hemi w/ 3.73s) as a rental, I put ~8000 miles on that. I picked it up at 5k and dropped it off at 13k miles. We ended up at 14.5 mpg overall. Not a terrible difference between the two rigs given the gearing, tires, and aerodynamics

2019 Bighorn Mpgs.PNG

iamsuperdan

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Stony Plain, AB
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Clark
Member #

I've had a few Rams over the years. 2017 Ram 1500 Rebel, 2017 Ram Power Wagon, 2018 Ram Power Wagon.

I miss the 2018 PW a lot. Should have kept that one for sure.

2017 Rebel
IMG_20160914_1204110.jpgIMG_20161008_1036211.jpg

2017 Ram Power Wagon. OB stickers on the back window. :)

IMG_20170523_190939_922.jpg

2018 Power Wagon
IMG_20180209_193913_043.jpg

The Roach ...

Rank IV

Member III

Frisco, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
V
Member #

for years I've wished Ram would make the powerwagon in diesel. I've talked to engineers at SEMA about it... it seems to be more a management thing.. than anything engineering related. even though the company says otherwise.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
for years I've wished Ram would make the powerwagon in diesel. I've talked to engineers at SEMA about it... it seems to be more a management thing.. than anything engineering related. even though the company says otherwise.
A powerwagon has a payload of about 1200lbs.

The Diesel weighs about 800 lbs more than the HEMI.

And the intercooler is where the winch goes.

The Roach ...

Rank IV

Member III

Frisco, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
V
Member #

A powerwagon has a payload of about 1200lbs.

The Diesel weighs about 800 lbs more than the HEMI.

And the intercooler is where the winch goes.

I talked to an engineer about that... his response was pretty clear. "How many cars do you see at SEMA .. where someone moved the intercooler?"

The old cummins weighs 600 lbs more than the old 5.7 hemi. the new cummins HO weighs in at 980 lbs. the new hemi comes in at 622 lbs. so the new factor weight is 358 lbs. for that you get the same HP.. but about 2.12 x the torque. Couple that with about 40% better fuel economy... it seems like a step in the right direction. at least in my mind.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
My guess is...the HeftyDuty RAM with a Cummins is made and designed for optimal cooling. Moving the intercooler anywhere else will lower this.

The engine is not the only weight gain. You got the exhaust all the extra nannies the DEF tank etc.

Then you have the already ridiculous amount of torque management with the Cummins. They have to warranty that front locker.

I do get the fuel economy, but for every other reason the 6.4l is enough.

The base weight of a tradesman with Powerwagon package is 6944 and a tradesman with a Cummins is7646...so 700 lbs.

A fully loaded Powerwagon that TFL tested had a payload of 1100 lbs...that truck with the Cummins would have a payload of 400lbs.

Some of my thoughts on the subject of spreading the power with the onset of the Tremor package at ford

The Roach ...

Rank IV

Member III

Frisco, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
V
Member #

My guess is...the HeftyDuty RAM with a Cummins is made and designed for optimal cooling. Moving the intercooler anywhere else will lower this.

The engine is not the only weight gain. You got the exhaust all the extra nannies the DEF tank etc.

Then you have the already ridiculous amount of torque management with the Cummins. They have to warranty that front locker.

I do get the fuel economy, but for every other reason the 6.4l is enough.

The base weight of a tradesman with Powerwagon package is 6944 and a tradesman with a Cummins is7646...so 700 lbs.

A fully loaded Powerwagon that TFL tested had a payload of 1100 lbs...that truck with the Cummins would have a payload of 400lbs.

Some of my thoughts on the subject of spreading the power with the onset of the Tremor package at ford

i've got a few trucks. but it seems my 'go-to' rig these days is my 18 f250 crew, 6.7d. we took it almost 1000 miles offroad running parallel to the cont. divide trail. i'm looking hard at the 1 ton ram 6.7d and building a trailbeast version of the powerwagon starting there. when you load a truck up, water, food, RTT, kit, etc... the RESERVE power in the diesel just works for me personally. the ford did amazing and every jeeper we went by was stunned... as well as the sxs guys. we pulled a few people out along the way.. but never thought once about getting stuck.. nor feared it.

rig debates are purely personal.. i love my 99 LC.. and I love my Mog.. but they are totally different trucks. after colorado in the ford.. I'll likely repower the LC in diesel... soon. I've added it to 'the list'... we'll see. but .. honestly.. I'd love to see a diesel version of the PW.. I just might build one. lol

Reactions: DevilDodge

The Roach ...

Rank IV

Member III

Frisco, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
V
Member #

The prospectors XL from AEV is a Cummins Powerwagon.

When you are building a vehicle...you can do what you want. When you are buying a vehicle...

the prospector xl is a hugely compromised. i talked to a suspension engineer about the AEV suspension system... and he said "Go to Carli"... "start there'... then come back and we can make something cool.

Reactions: DevilDodge

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
I was going to state that in my post...but that again leads to another Rabbit hole.

And I also believe...is another great reason in the factory Cummins Powerwagon debate. It makes no sense for RAM to do it.

But I am over that discussion..lol

And it still boils down to the age old discussion it is not what you buy but what you build.

Luckily...RAM builds a Powerwagon you can buy.

I still wish that they would offer the equipment without the flex.

Like how the REBEL stuff can be had on any trim with the Offroad Group.

Reactions: The Roach ...

OverlandRebel

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Missoula, Montana, USA
First Name
Joel
Last Name
Sylvester
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7QOT
2019 Ram Rebel 1500 Crew Cab.
Stock suspension and engine.
ARE Z2 Topper
Vice Designs hidden winch mount holding a Warn Evo 12k winch.
Factor 55 Flatlink E and rope guard.
Decked truck bed storage system
Line-X spray in bedliner.

Attachments

Reactions: rzims and Mekcanix

OverRAM3500

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ephrata Avenue Northwest, Soap Lake, Washington 98851, United States
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Gehlen
Member #

2018 Ram 3500 CCLB 6.7L. Carli 3", Bilstein 5160 reservoir shocks, Toyo r/t 35x12.5x18, and some gear piled in the bed.View attachment 139808
It's been awhile since I've posted but oh boy have things changed since this picture. Detroit true trac up front, dynatrac ball joints, Carli track bar, Rubicon express qd sway bar links, Dynatrac spin free hub kit (not installed yet), flight fabrication 4-link front axle suspension kit, Carli coil spring isolators, BDS 4" front progressive rate springs, Carli full rear leaf 2" lift w2" block, ADD off-road stealth fighter front bumper with 40" KC lites lightbar, new turbo, custom grill with KC lites 20" lightbar, new Bilstein 5160 shocks (3rd gen Ram 3500 w/6" lift) and a bunch more I'm forgetting. I think I have a problem, but it's so much fun...DSCF1888.JPGDSCF1884.JPG

Pretzel

Rank IV

Member III

Greenville, NC
First Name
Eric
Last Name
D.
Member #

One of the last days of a recent "Mountains to Sea" trip that I've been trying to do for a few years now. 2 nights in Linville Gorge around Old NC 105, then 2 more nights in Uwharrie NF followed by a couple more nights on Cape Lookout with the lighthouse in the background.

Cape Lookout.jpg