Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Colwood, BC, Canada
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Veerkamp
Member #

Our primary overland vehicle is a Jeep but I have a Dodge Ram 1500 which I would like to make into my winter overlanding rig. Any tips ? Need to find a rack for the RTT first.

Attachments

Last edited:

Vandy

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Okc
So here is my new build. My son and I got smoked in my 4runner last month. I've been looking to get back into a ram. Thinking about a toy hauler and a side by side at some point. Anyway. If any of yall have Intel. Looking for a bed rack I can use with a backflip bed cover. Thinking about an rci set up?

Currently has a thuren overland set up, ats trans/torque converter, sinister diesel pitbull turbo, efi live and fully deleted. Been pretty impressed with her for the month I've had it

Attachments

RAMXPLR

Rank V

Explorer I

Carlsbad, San Diego County, California, United States
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Lochow
Member #

So here is my new build. My son and I got smoked in my 4runner last month. I've been looking to get back into a ram. Thinking about a toy hauler and a side by side at some point. Anyway. If any of yall have Intel. Looking for a bed rack I can use with a backflip bed cover. Thinking about an rci set up?

Currently has a thuren overland set up, ats trans/torque converter, sinister diesel pitbull turbo, efi live and fully deleted. Been pretty impressed with her for the month I've had it
That truck should do the job!

MDain

Rank 0

Contributor I

JordanRam

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Jordan
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

New here. Member over on the RAM forum told me to come check this place out. Glad I did. Seems like my kind of crowd.

Here some various pics of my setup.
2019 RAM 1500 Laramie
Mopar lift (updated version)
ORP front springs
Vice Design hidden winch mount
Smitty X20 Comp 12k winch
White Knuckle Offroad rock sliders (Probably one of the best parts. Has already allowed me to go places I never would have tried otherwise).
Method Race wheels
34" Wildpeaks
Steering box skid plate
Transfer Case skid plate
Angle grinder front bumper (it's super limited edition lol)
Smitty 5.65 CFM air compressor

Next:
Get some fab work done for a trans skid plate
Order gas tank skid plate
Bed cap
Drawer/rack system for gear

Little bit older pic, but I love it.
View attachment 134593
View attachment 134594

As the truck sits now.
View attachment 134595View attachment 134596
what is your exact tire size?

Reactions: Island Overlander

Drkhrts

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Any chance you’ve got details on the dual battery and aux bed power install?
I use it mostly for my 12v fridge when we head out away from basecamp, has a 300 watt inverter since my express came without it.

I set it up to be separate from the trucks system other than charging from the alternator. the center powers all my lights and accessories off the 2nd battery. Based on the red arc dc to dc charger- has built in solar as an option. I got a flexible 100 watt panel that fits behind the seat. has worked perfect and I have room to add other Circuits in the future. I also grabbed the light signals from the trailer plug to avoid the truck freaking out about the added items. Lots of over done redundancy but if something like a light shorts I won’t lose my stock systems. If I can ever get a 2500 I can just unbolt it and move it.

Took some time to put together and source the parts, but it was a good project. I really liked how the overland trailer builders did there systems and used them as a starting point.

Attachments

DugzKine

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Macaalay
Member #

Finally finished my dual battery on the Mega Cab this past weekend. Ran all accessories and extras off the aux battery. No solar hook-ups yet. May look into it in the future.
3449447F-1670-42E3-B5FF-275E8578F424.jpeg

Drkhrts

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

What
Finally finished my dual battery on the Mega Cab this past weekend. Ran all accessories and extras off the aux battery. No solar hook-ups yet. May look into it in the future.
View attachment 166556
What did you use for controlling the charging? I’m so jealous- stupid California would impound my truck if I took off the stock air box, that’s the main reason all my stuff is in the back.

DugzKine

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Las Vegas, NV, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Macaalay
Member #

What

What did you use for controlling the charging? I’m so jealous- stupid California would impound my truck if I took off the stock air box, that’s the main reason all my stuff is in the back.
Since mine is a 2006, I opted for a simple battery relay solenoid powered by ignition source so it can only be switched on while the truck is running. It will also automatically disconnect if I forgot to flip the toggle switch when I shut off the truck. I have winch quick disconnect (Anderson) plugs front and rear that’s controlled by a manual blue sea battery disconnect.