Rank III

Enthusiast III

Glenwood, Washington, United States
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Oldenburg
Member #

I didn't see a thread quite like what I was looking for... so I started a new one. I think it is time to break down and put a mobile GMRS in my 4runner. I have a KG-935G handheld but making sure it is charged on a trip, etc. and wanting more power, I have decided it is time to add a permanently mounted unit. Add to that, I can then hand out my handheld if someone on our trip is without or when spotting.

That being said... I have watched more Youtube videos than I can count. Each time I watch one for the Midland or the Wouxun I feel "yep that is the brand for me"! So I am asking the community for your thoughts. The pricing is basically the same, so that is not my concern.

I am by far a "radio nerd" as all the videos say. (Not one at all really) From my research, the Midland seems easy to use and is pretty much plug-and-play. I do not really use repeaters in my area, primarily vehicle-to-vehicle communication within my travel group. I like the option of mounting it tucked out of the way. The USB-C port may be a bonus that may come in handy. It sure seems like Midland is such a popular choice for ease of use. Do I really need all the other options that the KG-1000G offers when I don't know how to use them at the moment anyway?

But with the KG-1000G, I think the ability to monitor frequencies outside of the GMRS bands sounds like a good idea. The ability to mount the faceplate where I can see it, but still mount the larger unit tucked away seems like the best of both worlds. Having so many more options might be good further down the line as I learn more about the use of these types of comms and once I am in more situations it seems like it would be endless possibilities (even though I do not know how to use that stuff now). As I have said though, I already have the handheld KG-935G... So I guess I could monitor some of those other channels already?

Sorry to be a bit long-winded, but I do value the opinions of you guys as part of my research. Thank you guys, I look forward to any and all responses.

Priority #1 = Group Comms in short range, Priority #2 = Minimal visibility when daily driving, Priority #3 = ease of use

Last edited:

WareWolf MoonWall

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Green Country, OK
First Name
WareWolf
Last Name
MoonWall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Direct Message Me..
I didn't see a thread quite like what I was looking for... so I started a new one. I think it is time to break down and put a mobile GMRS in my 4runner. I have a KG-935G handheld but making sure it is charged on a trip, etc. and wanting more power, I have decided it is time to add a permanently mounted unit. Add to that, I can then hand out my handheld if someone on our trip is without or when spotting.

That being said... I have watched more Youtube videos than I can count. Each time I watch one for the Midland or the Wouxun I feel "yep that is the brand for me"! So I am asking the community for your thoughts. The pricing is basically the same, so that is not my concern.

I am by far a "radio nerd" as all the videos say. From my research, the Midland seems easy to use and is pretty much plug-and-play. I do not really use repeaters in my area, primarily vehicle-to-vehicle communication within my travel group. I like the option of mounting it tucked out of the way. The USB-C port may be a bonus that may come in handy. It sure seems like Midland is such a popular choice for ease of use. Do I really need all the other options that the KG-1000G offers when I don't know how to use them at the moment anyway?

But with the KG-1000G, I think the ability to monitor frequencies outside of the GMRS bands sounds like a good idea. The ability to mount the faceplate where I can see it, but still mount the larger unit tucked away seems like the best of both worlds. Having so many more options might be good further down the line as I learn more about the use of these types of comms and once I am in more situations it seems like it would be endless possibilities (even though I do not know how to use that stuff now). As I have said though, I already have the handheld KG-935G... So I guess I could monitor some of those other channels already?

Sorry to be a bit long-winded, but I do value the opinions of you guys as part of my research. Thank you guys, I look forward to any and all responses.

Priority #1 = Group Comms in short range, Priority #2 = Minimal visibility when daily driving, Priority #3 = ease of use
Two quick thoughts.

My vote would be the Wouxon KG-1000g as it will operate like your HT so learning will be less to deal with. Additionally, you gain all of the extra bands to scan which might be handy. For example, if some of your party are Hams you can listen in on them with one receiver while dual communication on the other receiver as GMRS. Using your HT to monitor the other stuff may not work as well since I am assuming you only want one external antenna. I think you can get duplexers and whatnot, but it's more stuff in the long run and you may not want to go down a more complex pathway.

Second thought is that you can buy battery eliminators, which take the place of the battery and hook into your cig port. I have found I tend to get a touch more oomph using these because you don't deal with the decline of the battery as it drains. Add a good external antenna (you didn't mention if you have one yet, but your vehicle is basically a glass insulator mixed with a faraday cage). Then you can just carry something cheap, as any bubble pack radios can be used with the GMRS in the vehicle for folks to spot. Let the $20 radio get dropped and muddy... I suggest this as it sounds like the majority of your need is already met other than the charging.

The way my wife and I do this is HTs with good external antennas (I love the Comet 2x4SR as we jump between ham and GMRS) and eliminators. Give or take conditions, access to repeaters etc, you can reach out pretty far. Then we can pop the radios out and take them with us once we leave the vehicles. Have a set of 'disposable' Cobra GMRS we could hand out if needed.

Hope that helps.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Agree with @WareWolf MoonWall that the Comet 2x4S4 is a great external antenna and for a little more you can get a "spring kit" for it that allows it to bend when you whack it on something. I have pretty much gotten to the point where I don't care what mine hits (low hanging branches, etc) and it always bounces back no worse for the wear.

Reactions: OTH Overland

TeachAO

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Oldenburg
Member #

Agree with @WareWolf MoonWall that the Comet 2x4S4 is a great external antenna and for a little more you can get a "spring kit" for it that allows it to bend when you whack it on something. I have pretty much gotten to the point where I don't care what mine hits (low hanging branches, etc) and it always bounces back no worse for the wear.
Thoughts on the ghost midland antenna?

Sylvester

Rank V
Investor

Influencer II

Nevada
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Leto II
Member #

I had a Handheld Midland I slowly grew to Dislike - So we bought the Wouxon KG-1000g it is a great Radio and I mounted the Face Plate on the Dash with the Main body under the my seat. Get the Wouxon you'll love it

Reactions: zgfiredude

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
It’s a good antenna, but. It as good as the Comet listed above.
I think @M Rose meant to say "not as good"; correct me if I am wrong Mike. I have read some negative comments about them recently. Would not be my first choice for my application but I can understand that the small size is appealing.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I think @M Rose meant to say "not as good"; correct me if I am wrong Mike. I have read some negative comments about them recently. Would not be my first choice for my application but I can understand that the small size is appealing.
Yes you are correct, I meant that the Gosht is not as good as the Comet.

Reactions: Ubiety

WareWolf MoonWall

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Green Country, OK
First Name
WareWolf
Last Name
MoonWall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Direct Message Me..
It’s a good antenna, but. It as good as the Comet listed above.
You can fold over most antennas like the Comet 2x4SR, which reduces the profile down to maybe 4" for garages etc... You can also always unscrew for car washes.

While not optimal, my wife's Grand Cherokee has her's mounted with a trunk mount towards the bottom of the tailgate. It's about a foot higher than a bumper mount, and requires no drilling. Just tucked the wires into trim along the top of the driver side and then down the A pillar, behind the floor mats and pedals, and up along the center console to her HT mount.

With that setup we are getting 25ish miles on GMRS repeaters. Maybe 3-4 miles of simplex. Get a little more with the ham side of things, but I think that has more to do with amateur radio repeater power limits and more likely to have optimal tower heights etc.. So much depends on elevation and obstruction, and balancing your needs. The range she gets makes her happy for the way her vehicle is setup, you might want the mast on the top center for the ground plane and maximum fars :)

TeachAO

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Oldenburg
Member #

You can fold over most antennas like the Comet 2x4SR, which reduces the profile down to maybe 4" for garages etc... You can also always unscrew for car washes.

While not optimal, my wife's Grand Cherokee has her's mounted with a trunk mount towards the bottom of the tailgate. It's about a foot higher than a bumper mount, and requires no drilling. Just tucked the wires into trim along the top of the driver side and then down the A pillar, behind the floor mats and pedals, and up along the center console to her HT mount.

With that setup we are getting 25ish miles on GMRS repeaters. Maybe 3-4 miles of simplex. Get a little more with the ham side of things, but I think that has more to do with amateur radio repeater power limits and more likely to have optimal tower heights etc.. So much depends on elevation and obstruction, and balancing your needs. The range she gets makes her happy for the way her vehicle is setup, you might want the mast on the top center for the ground plane and maximum fars :)
Do you have to tune the comet antenna? I was thinking of mounting the antenna off my ditch lights. I have read this can give interference, but only when those lights are on? What about the Comet lip mount? Any experience with that?

Last edited:

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
I am likely in the minority, but I prefer to run the Midland GMRS radios, I primarily use GMRS for trails / convoy comms and do not want use a ton of extra features such as wide band receive etc (I have HAM and other radios for that) I tried some other brands and did feel like thier receivers were as sensitive and have always had a bit more reach with the Midlands. I have the MTX275 all in one 15 watt in the WJ mainly due to lack of space for a full size radio or faceplace style. For a 15 watt radio I am pretty impressed. In the JK I went with the MTX500 (full size 50 watt) It has very intuitive and simple controls that are easy to use by feel when on the trail. I do not like or recomend any of the Midland antennas as I have always had a hard time getting good SWR readings of of them. After trying many different brands, I have had the best luck with Laird the BB45002NS has worked well on the JK and is only a foot high with base coil and spring. I have a longer one on the WJ that has taken a real beating for the past few years.

TeachAO

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Oldenburg
Member #

I am likely in the minority, but I prefer to run the Midland GMRS radios, I primarily use GMRS for trails / convoy comms and do not want use a ton of extra features such as wide band receive etc (I have HAM and other radios for that) I tried some other brands and did feel like thier receivers were as sensitive and have always had a bit more reach with the Midlands. I have the MTX275 all in one 15 watt in the WJ mainly due to lack of space for a full size radio or faceplace style. For a 15 watt radio I am pretty impressed. In the JK I went with the MTX500 (full size 50 watt) It has very intuitive and simple controls that are easy to use by feel when on the trail. I do not like or recomend any of the Midland antennas as I have always had a hard time getting good SWR readings of of them. After trying many different brands, I have had the best luck with Laird the BB45002NS has worked well on the JK and is only a foot high with base coil and spring. I have a longer one on the WJ that has taken a real beating for the past few years.
Thanks, the ease of use is definitely something that has me leaning towards the Midland radio. That is why I'm in such a pickle! Options VS Ease of Use is a big pain. I'm sure I am overthinking this issue... but I just want to get what is right for my situation. Thanks for your input.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Do you have to tune the comet antenna? I was thinking of mounting the antenna off my ditch lights. I have read this can give interference, but only when those lights are on? What about the Comet lip mount? Any experience with that?
I have not used this particular antenna, but in general checking the SWR after mounting an antenna is a good idea, most antennas come factory tuned for good SWR in the middle of each of the bands it is designed for, but this is likely based on a mount in the middle of a flat roof with no obstructions, your milage may differ..lol it is surprising how much it can change just moving the mounting of the antenna few inches. With a universal mount such as a hood lip, you can try it in several places to see where it works best, then fine tune if needed. The manufacture shoud have instructions on which section of the antenna you adjust for which band, and which one to do first. SWR meters are not expensive, or you can likely find someone fairly close that has one and would help out. Bad SWR will affect transmisson/reception and can cause damage to the radio if bad enough.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I did not have to tune my Comet as it had a great SWR after being installed; though your mileage may vary. As far as interference goes that is likely very dependent on the lights that you run, I have heard horror stories about cheap LED lights causing all sorts of problems. But I would try to keep the antenna as "isolated" as possible anyway. I run something _like_ that lip mount that mounts where the hood meets the fender.

1660241092598.png

Reactions: TeachAO

kunstmilch

Rank V

Advocate II

Pomona, CA, USA
First Name
Erich
Last Name
Wise
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS call sign: WRFL229

I am by far a "radio nerd" as all the videos say. From my research, the Midland seems easy to use and is pretty much plug-and-play. I do not really use repeaters in my area, primarily vehicle-to-vehicle communication within my travel group. I like the option of mounting it tucked out of the way. The USB-C port may be a bonus that may come in handy. It sure seems like Midland is such a popular choice for ease of use. Do I really need all the other options that the KG-1000G offers when I don't know how to use them at the moment anyway?

If you are a radio nerd as you say, then the Wouxon KG-1000g is the way to go, as the Midland is designed for the non nerd. If you were looking for something that you could just plug in and play and was simple and worried about having to be a radio nerd then go the other way, my $2 (counting for inflation)

WareWolf MoonWall

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Green Country, OK
First Name
WareWolf
Last Name
MoonWall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Direct Message Me..

I will mirror the other response that beat me to the thread. The Comet 2x4SR comes factory tuned, as will most commercially available antenna for vehicle mount will.

Also as mentioned, what would seem like irrelevant shifts to the side by centimeters can often be a game changer, especially when working with lights or other high power accessories.

One thing to keep in mind is that with radio, the game is more about getting setup in a manner that gets the job done, and not so much about perfection. If your setup checks your boxes, that's all you need to do. That might mean what some folks call more or less optimal is less important (unless you are specifically trying to resolve a lack of checking your boxes).

Hope that makes sense.

mtn

Rank IV

Influencer II

Washington, USA
First Name
Ole
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KA7OLE
Here's what I use for antennas on my 4Runner: Gamiviti antenna brackets for Toyota

Also, just came back from a week-plus long trip where the tailgunner had both a Midland GMRS and a Yaesu (iirc) ham radio. Had to jump on the ham multiple times when the GMRS wasn't strong enough, and that's despite both having similar antennas located towards the top of the vehicle. Not saying the Wouxun is that much better, but the experience didn't leave me impressed with the Midland unit.

Reactions: Boort

TeachAO

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Oldenburg
Member #

If you are a radio nerd as you say, then the Wouxon KG-1000g is the way to go, as the Midland is designed for the non nerd. If you were looking for something that you could just plug in and play and was simple and worried about having to be a radio nerd then go the other way, my $2 (counting for inflation)
VERY MUCH NON Radio NERD

Reactions: OTH Overland

kunstmilch

Rank V

Advocate II

Pomona, CA, USA
First Name
Erich
Last Name
Wise
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS call sign: WRFL229
VERY MUCH NON Radio NERD
Ah, "non" was missing from your original post and my brain didnt fill it in, apologies, then go the other way, will be easier, and its a good unit...though the Wouxon KG-1000g shouldn't be hard to figure out.

Reactions: Sylvester

TeachAO

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Oldenburg
Member #

Here's what I use for antennas on my 4Runner: Gamiviti antenna brackets for Toyota

Also, just came back from a week-plus long trip where the tailgunner had both a Midland GMRS and a Yaesu (iirc) ham radio. Had to jump on the ham multiple times when the GMRS wasn't strong enough, and that's despite both having similar antennas located towards the top of the vehicle. Not saying the Wouxun is that much better, but the experience didn't leave me impressed with the Midland unit.
Oh good to know!