I need roof rack recommendation for my Jeep Rubicon JL. I'm going to end up putting a rooftop tent on it later.

• HTML tutorial

Utahlasvegas

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Laughlin, NV, USA
First Name
Beau
Last Name
Rogers
Member #

Hello,

I recently bought a new Jeep Rubicon 4 door JL, and I am shopping for a roof rack to put on it. In January, I plan to purchase a rooftop tent to use, so it needs to work for that. As of now, I'm leaning towards the Smittybuilt rooftop tent.

Thanks for your suggestions!

THorner

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Sharpsburg, NC, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Horner
Member #

I decided to go with a Gobi rack on my `18 JLU. I like that you don't drill any holes and it has a 300lb. dynamic and 800lb. static load rating. I don't like their backlog (5 months delivery time for mine) and they are difficult to communicate with. I have a Bundutop RTT, ARB awning and a Quick-en-suite mounted on mine.

Julian Cook

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Fort walton beach fl.
First Name
Chip
Last Name
cook
Member #

I decided to go with a Gobi rack on my `18 JLU. I like that you don't drill any holes and it has a 300lb. dynamic and 800lb. static load rating. I don't like their backlog (5 months delivery time for mine) and they are difficult to communicate with. I have a Bundutop RTT, ARB awning and a Quick-en-suite mounted on mine.
Met a guy running a gobi rack with tepiu tent and inflatable kayaks on the rack on jlur, nice set up. You glue pads on the exterior of the.jeep to prevent rubbing, his pads had shifted a bit during flex off road, make sure you let the pads set up well before you flex offroad

THorner

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Sharpsburg, NC, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Horner
Member #

Thanks for the heads up. You are absolutely correct. I've had this setup since April. About 18,000 miles, several offroad treks and two of four pads removed, new backing adhesive, and reinstalled.

THorner

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Sharpsburg, NC, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Horner
Member #

Cape Lookout NC a few weeks ago. Before the hurricane. And Missouri this past May on the way to Expo West.20190829_182902.jpeg20190510_192308.jpeg

Julian Cook

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Fort walton beach fl.
First Name
Chip
Last Name
cook
Member #

Nice set up, the awnings look like they would be a major asset, we just did about 2500 miles off-road out west, really enjoyed the jeep, lots of dust, just now getting it clean

THorner

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Sharpsburg, NC, USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Horner
Member #

Thanks, yours is a great setup too. I know what you mean about cleaning. Took me 6 hours to scrub all the salt spray off and vacuum the sand out.[emoji41]

Alertchief

Rank V

Advocate III

Henderson, Nevada, United States
First Name
David
Last Name
mountain
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Alertchief
My gobi also has te same issue wit the glue pads falling off as well as the rubber stoppers meeting tehm having issues. Considering tthe backboen for my other JL.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Frontrunner has a nice setup
Kargo Master Safari (now owned by ACE Engineering) is my next purchase. Very versatile and expandible. Def aimed at Old School Defender style rack.
Garvin is very similar to Gobi but without the huge lead time.
AEV
Smittybilt has a few versions but the exoskeleton is massive and sits way too far away from the roof they look kinda goofy.