I make photo zines and do self publishing as a hobby. My latest project is all camping and off-roading as a collaborative release. Was tons of fun.

• HTML tutorial

natematos

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Portland, OR
Member #

Like I said in the title, I am a big supporter of self publishing your photographic work. Behind a gallery, a printed collection is the 2nd best way for images to be seen. Over the last 4 years I've released 16 publications in small print runs. My smallest was 10, largest was 100, but most sit in the 30-50 range before I move on.

Each of the 16 prior releases I've done has been an independent collection of stuff I've taken. But this has been a big departure.

10 years ago a good friend (you can see him and his doberman in a photo below) started an online magazine for automotive culture in the Pacific Northwest. We had our fun, and after 2 years of going all over the PNW for events, races, shows, we hung it up. But always wanted to bring it back somehow. That finally took place earlier this year when we really started to conceptualize some ideas of what we wanted. As our first issue, it's pretty small with just 4 photo sets and pretty minimal text.

We're working on the 2nd issue now, and in doing so have been reflecting on this one a lot. Figured some OB members may get a kick out of it and wanted to share.

t7rnqaohruf31.jpg

FullSizeRender copy.jpg

FullSizeRender-1.jpg

Reactions: MazeVX

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
I love it! Be alone together...that's the wife and mine's motto. You have a great style...hope to see more of your work.

Reactions: natematos

natematos

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Portland, OR
Member #

Very cool....that does something like that cost to produce?
Seems like something amazing for a group event.
There are a few things you'd need to figure out,
  1. How many are you producing?
  2. What is the targeted price?
  3. What are you thinking in terms of overall size and page count?
  4. How much of your time/effort do you want to go in to the production?
With the above in mind it''s a matter of finding the right printer for you. Places like Blurb are great for one offs if you want something a little more coffee table book like. Snapfish or even Walgreens will offer a simple photo buck for a couple bucks. Print and paper quality are meh, but you can go from images to order in minutes. You can also work with local printers, or get really in to zine culture and just head to Kinko's to xerox up your copies like they'd do in the 90s.

We charge $5ea for these, or $7 with a patch - basically our cost at a print run of 50. We're not looking to make money, just do something we both really enjoy.

Reactions: MazeVX

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Awesome. Thanks for the information. I am looking at doing something similar. Coffee table books, Prints etc. I am wanting to become a full time photographer/writer. I have the creative bug in me for a while now, I am starting on our family blog about travelling with a person who has autism. I have a few articles written. Some photos I took. I am also getting my almost 13 year old son (who has autism) to take photographs to sell to give him some income and see how we can grow that business for him too. He took some amazing photos our last trip out.

I have alot of ideas, and I am trying to get everything rolling so that when he is finished school we can travel with him all the time, and run our businesses from where ever we are on the road, or home.