Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

GREAT point. We already maintain a "live link" with the USFS database that updates the MVUM layers once per month, so with OB1 you should run into this problem less. We are also developing an easy "Alert" system for marking a trail as closed. Good feedback.
Perhaps another feature could be an Alert Check where you can select one or multiple routes and OB1 will flag any alerts on those routes such as road closures, bad weather, permit required, private property, tribal land, etc. A layer of areas where there are permit requirements would be useful for this and in general.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Did you stand on one foot? ;) we are guilty of this too. We have video tutorials, but written documentation is still in the works.
A video tutorial is good as long as there isn’t any assumption that the user knows about hidden steps to accomplish the goal. Like “everyone” knows you double tap to start this…

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
I dont care, nobody else is a responsive as OB for apps, for a dev team to listen to all our dream wishes and move to implement them and fix bugs so fast is rare and sets the standard for how it should be, Thank you Michael and the entire dev team!!

You all kill it over and over again.

Jim

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Michael, If you are using this to gather information for OB1. My biggest issue with all other platforms (besides gaia) is support for canadian mapping. Other platforms etc have outdated mapping, where gaia has pretty current mapping and various layers etc. That's why I am using them. They are supporting our areas of travel.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Michael, If you are using this to gather information for OB1. My biggest issue with all other platforms (besides gaia) is support for canadian mapping. Other platforms etc have outdated mapping, where gaia has pretty current mapping and various layers etc. That's why I am using them. They are supporting our areas of travel.
Great feedback - thank you!

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Great feedback in this thread. I added all of the requests in this thread to our Feature Upvote page. Feel free to upvote your features! We do not necessarily produce features in order or upvote popularity since there are a lot of variables, but I can't think of a single feature we would not do.

Thank you everyone for the feedback. It helps us to create the best overland mapping application on the planet. We will be pushing OB1 far beyond what is listed here - but this really helps us to see what our core level features need to be.

M

Reactions: Ubiety

RoverXventures

Rank V
Investor

Influencer II

Monterey, CA, USA
First Name
JEANPAUL
Last Name
DEROUIN
Member #

I use it constantly, I really like the overlay options. I also like the fact that it traces your route with a different color daily, It makes it easier to break down your daily travels. It's also a breeze to input GPX files.

Reactions: Michael

Dirt-Merchant

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Orange County, CA, USA
First Name
First
Last Name
Last
Ham/GMRS Callsign
[Private]
A "upgrade demo" would be a nice feature. Maybe a one-time 48 hours trial of the expedition feature-set or similar. I already pay for Gaia, and I'd like to try OB1 to see if I want to switch permanently. I can't use/see the upgraded features so I can do a fair compairison between the two. I know I can "Review Features" but that doesnt give me the ability see if the OB1 way of doing things fits with my way of doing things.

Reactions: Ubiety

shansonpac

Rank V

Traveler III

Bakersfield, CA, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Hanson
Member #

may have already been covered.

But gaia does not have an easy to find legend. I know what a few of the little colored lines and dashes mean but certainly not all of them
Many layers are like that, but try the Gaia Overland layer. Once active. Click on the general rectangle of the map in the layers list and a detailed legend appears. This can be opened in a new window to show all the detail.

Reactions: Tundracamper

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

A "upgrade demo" would be a nice feature. Maybe a one-time 48 hours trial of the expedition feature-set or similar. I already pay for Gaia, and I'd like to try OB1 to see if I want to switch permanently. I can't use/see the upgraded features so I can do a fair compairison between the two. I know I can "Review Features" but that doesnt give me the ability see if the OB1 way of doing things fits with my way of doing things.
I too did a 5 year Gaia subscription ($149 if I recall correctly) and am not inclined to start another until the time comes. I find Gaia adequate for my needs. I did do Trails Off-road for and really like the ability to find pre-mapped trails with commentary, highlights and campsites. It would be great if a larger mapping software had searchable member documented routes that you could search by location. One problem I had with OB earlier this year was highlighting a campsite but not finding how to lock it as the position automatically updated before I could load it into the system.

Along with others I route on home computer and navigate on tablet.

KARUZA

Rank I

Contributor II

Tucson, Pima County, Arizona, United States
First Name
Wieland
Last Name
Hintz
Is it just me, or is there actually no legend for OB1? I just spent about an hour and a half looking through everything, and there does not exist a simple way to find out what the colored regions of the map represent. Large blue swaths of land etc … what are they? Which land is forest, national park etc, and this would be something to consider integrating for new users … I browsed the forums ect and no mention whatsoever of a map legend … crazy. Would be nice to click on a trail or the border of a colored region on the map and have information pop up. Link the trail to associated routes and highlight the trail? I don’t know but seems arduous to have to switch to Google to look up the trail or spend ten minutes trying to find out what “type” of land I’m crossing and if I need a permit etc. If this mythical legend does exist somewhere why is it so hidden?
For reference I’m using iPad mini with latest iOS updates. I’m considering moving over to this app but …. not yet. I have ridden a motorcycle around the world so not new to maps etc … but preparing an overland rig for the later years in life.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Is it just me, or is there actually no legend for OB1? I just spent about an hour and a half looking through everything, and there does not exist a simple way to find out what the colored regions of the map represent. Large blue swaths of land etc … what are they? Which land is forest, national park etc, and this would be something to consider integrating for new users … I browsed the forums ect and no mention whatsoever of a map legend … crazy. Would be nice to click on a trail or the border of a colored region on the map and have information pop up. Link the trail to associated routes and highlight the trail? I don’t know but seems arduous to have to switch to Google to look up the trail or spend ten minutes trying to find out what “type” of land I’m crossing and if I need a permit etc. If this mythical legend does exist somewhere why is it so hidden?
For reference I’m using iPad mini with latest iOS updates. I’m considering moving over to this app but …. not yet. I have ridden a motorcycle around the world so not new to maps etc … but preparing an overland rig for the later years in life.
Green is national forest service, blue Indian reservation, orange is BLM.

Reactions: KARUZA and Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Would be nice to click on a trail or the border of a colored region on the map and have information pop up.
Totally agree with this and keep forgetting to mention it. OB1 places an icon somewhere along a track/route and it is hard to find that icon as it can mix in with all the other stuff. If we could poke at a track as well as the icon to get more info that would be great.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Totally agree with this and keep forgetting to mention it. OB1 places an icon somewhere along a track/route and it is hard to find that icon as it can mix in with all the other stuff. If we could poke at a track as well as the icon to get more info that would be great.
I agree there