wahoowad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Virginia, USA
First Name
Wilbur
Last Name
McGee
Love to camp but have not learned to coexist with these nasty little pests. There are just SO DANG MANY at least here in Virginia. We’re good about policing up trash and food but they are still relentless. They are crawling all over my tent looking for ways to get in, and quite a few already have despite the doors remaining zippered shut.

Anybody have any field pest control solutions to fight back?

Reactions: Neon Paradise

Neon Paradise

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Suffolk, Virginia, United States
First Name
Justin
Last Name
xxxxxx
Member #

Similar issues. We've used our bug spray like OFF and put some on the base of the zippers to the entrance of the tent which has helped in the past.

Ideally we try and be least intrusive to nature as possible, but sometimes it gets too bad and we will burn those anti mosquito candles on the table and spray as needed.

Reactions: Desert Runner

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
if you dont want to kill them but want to keep them away from your tent, you can go get cinnamon, cayenne pepper, white vinegar and go around your tent and that usually keeps them away. you dont need all three...just try one of them and see which works best. the wife has been using cinnamon around her garden and that keeps away the fire ants

dollar tree has cheap spices and it doesnt take a lot. ants communicate with scents they produce, so they are fairly sensitive to vinegar, pepper, etc

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
In the Southwestern Deserts they say that diatomaceous earth helps keep the scorpions away. This is something you get a pool supply place. Same ideas the spices that you sprinkle it around your tent for area you want to keep them out of. The theory is that the dad's Nation Earth dries their bodies out and gets into the joints and hurts.

At least that's the theory.

Reactions: 9Mike2

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Tex mex ants like cheese and chili sauce. So don't do that.

Do you set down on top the nest? You'll only do that once.

Reactions: 9Mike2