Hurricane creek to max patch NC

• HTML tutorial

brianb2

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Charlotte, NC
Member #

Hey Brian, I heard Richland Road was closed due to some land easement issues with property owners. Do you know anything different or have been recently?
Would love to go, just not sure it actually exists anymore.
It's been 3 months since I was there last, so I'm not sure my information is up to date. When I talked to a local out there, he told me the road itself was public but that's it. There's a lot of side roads and other land that is privately owned and there are literally a hundred signs posted on trees all along the road warning that the hills have eyes and any trespassing on the private land isn't tolerated. We stayed on the main road and drove to the end where there were signs saying dead end and a padlocked barrier. No worries for us, we just turned around and did the road in reverse.

It's a fun drive, and I hate there's so much controversy around the area. We can't control the actions of any of the yahoos that have given the place a bad rep, but this group can set a good example to try and balance it out. We tried to do our part by talking with anyone we saw and hauling out as much trash as would fit in a trasharoo. We need some kind of "Trail Conservancy" group to help us repair our standings with places like Richland. Volunteers?

Aztec1369

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Krum, Texas
Member #

I am planning on running the hurricane creek trail on the 23rd with a buddy of mine who lives near Asheville. I'm driving up from Texas. Are there any other members in the area that would like to join us? I'll be in my 4R and my buddy in his Taco.

Graham1298

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Forsyth County, North Carolina, United States
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Graham
Member #

I am planning on running the hurricane creek trail on the 23rd with a buddy of mine who lives near Asheville. I'm driving up from Texas. Are there any other members in the area that would like to join us? I'll be in my 4R and my buddy in his Taco.
I was planning on making that trip as well this Saturday. Maybe I’ll see you out there. I’m running a Tundra.

dougie117

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Charlotte, NC
Member #

Report back and let us know if it's rutted out big time or not - I'll actually be there next weekend. Staying Firday-Sunday in Hot Springs but me and another will most likely run it. I've done it twice before but he hasn't.

Reactions: justjames

Aztec1369

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Krum, Texas
Member #

I was planning on making that trip as well this Saturday. Maybe I’ll see you out there. I’m running a Tundra.
What time do you think you'll be there? We don't really have a solid time. I'd be down to meet up though before entering the trail.

Adventr-X

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Grundy, VA, USA
Member #

I’m actually omw down to the trail today. Should be there around 12. Maybe I’ll see some of you. First time there but should be fun.

Smith_AVDN_FAM

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Charlotte
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Report back and let us know if it's rutted out big time or not - I'll actually be there next weekend. Staying Firday-Sunday in Hot Springs but me and another will most likely run it. I've done it twice before but he hasn't.
How was Hot Springs? I'm in Charlotte and thinking about heading up that way

dougie117

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Charlotte, NC
Member #

How was Hot Springs? I'm in Charlotte and thinking about heading up that way
Hot Springs is a cool little town to check out. Lots of hikes of all difficulties. Lots of neat cabins to stay in. The AT runs through town so there are some good outdoor/gear shops that people use to restock supplies. I think there are two white water companies based there that also offer kayaks. It's got Max Patch and Hurricane Creek trail close by. Spring Creek Tavern has awesome food (wings). Tiny little place but a great place to check out. The hot springs themselves are meh - it's really just a hot tub they fill with the hot natural spring water. All the cabins I've stayed at over the years have hot tubs on the porches which I find much more enjoyable that the commercialized getup they're running.

Smith_AVDN_FAM

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Charlotte
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Hot Springs is a cool little town to check out. Lots of hikes of all difficulties. Lots of neat cabins to stay in. The AT runs through town so there are some good outdoor/gear shops that people use to restock supplies. I think there are two white water companies based there that also offer kayaks. It's got Max Patch and Hurricane Creek trail close by. Spring Creek Tavern has awesome food (wings). Tiny little place but a great place to check out. The hot springs themselves are meh - it's really just a hot tub they fill with the hot natural spring water. All the cabins I've stayed at over the years have hot tubs on the porches which I find much more enjoyable that the commercialized getup they're running.
Man thank you for all this great information!

TexasTJ

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Figured I'd post a follow up. We drove up from Texas to NC last October and met up with some friends to run Hurricane Creek. Trail wasn't difficult, buddy with a 2wd Tundra made it fairly easily. Then we hiked up Max Patch and scooted over to Buzzards Roost.

Attachments

Aztec1369

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Krum, Texas
Member #

It was definitely doable when I was there a few weeks ago. Unless there's been some serious weather come through, I doubt you'd have any issues.

Last edited: