First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Montero
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5JWS
Hi folks.

That's my old stomping grounds there. I lived in Waynesville, Maggie Valley back in the 80's early 90's. I had an 84' Nissan 4x4 truck I use to wheel up there before it got popular I guess because we never saw anyone around. :grinning:

Can you still drive on the road that parallels I 40? They had built that road when they made those cuts and tunnels though there. Back in the 80's there were still left over equipment on the mountain, trucks, cranes... I wonder if that stuff is still there.

Back in the day, you could get down to the dam on certain days if you were lucky. We got a Sunday afternoon tour of the place by the caretaker.

Good times, brings back some great memories of camping in Hurricane Creek and climbing Max Patch to watch the sunrise.

Good time today. The touareg has plenty of power and grip, even with a Michelin 275/50/20 tire! Ground clearance of course is the issue. I barely hit bottom and when I did it was my hitch. I was never close to being stuck, but we heard scrape quite a few times. The guard on the muffler took most of the hit. The trail was fun, and we'll be back.

I'm going to add a set of Nitto Ridge Grapplers this winter, and next spring I'll add an air suspension kit, it will have to be custom, but still the cost won't be too terrible. Thank you everyone for your help and input. I'll have more videos us soon.

I'm too new to post pics and links yet, give me a bit and I'll have video and such.

ZRex

Rank VII
Launch Member

Explorer I

Elizabethton, TN
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klepp
Member #

Good time today. The touareg has plenty of power and grip, even with a Michelin 275/50/20 tire! Ground clearance of course is the issue. I barely hit bottom and when I did it was my hitch. I was never close to being stuck, but we heard scrape quite a few times. The guard on the muffler took most of the hit. The trail was fun, and we'll be back.

I'm going to add a set of Nitto Ridge Grapplers this winter, and next spring I'll add an air suspension kit, it will have to be custom, but still the cost won't be too terrible. Thank you everyone for your help and input. I'll have more videos us soon.

I'm too new to post pics and links yet, give me a bit and I'll have video and such.
Glad to hear it went smoothly, Mark. You may have run into my friend in the bright green keep trying to rescue the white cherokee, said he was impressed by the VW!

Cheers
Mike

justjames

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Member #

Thanks for the update!

Reactions: Mark Werner

Ross

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Augusta, SC
Member #

Question: So when you get near the top there is a split. You can go right and cross a small bridge and go on a trail to I guess the top, or you can go to the left. What is to the left and what am I missing. I've always gone to the right..

Thanks in advance..

DerekJeep

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Orange County, CA, USA
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Elb
Member #

Question: So when you get near the top there is a split. You can go right and cross a small bridge and go on a trail to I guess the top, or you can go to the left. What is to the left and what am I missing. I've always gone to the right..

Thanks in advance..
Was wondering this too. We came to a small clearing where you could go left or right andd decided to go right. It eventually took us to the top of a hill and into a rural neighborhood. I believe we eventually exited on Wesley Creek road. Im assuming to the left is Max Patch?

Krazie

Rank 0
Launch Member

Traveler I

Fletcher, NC, USA
Member #

Thanks in advance..
If it the split I am thinking of left is another single lane trail (similar to the rest) that leads up to max patch. I prefer that way because it is a nice drive thru the woods.

Ross

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Augusta, SC
Member #

Thanks. I've never been left. I want to do that next time. Feel like I've missed out on a whole other adventure..

Justin May

Rank 0

Traveler I

Looking to pick a few brains here. I'm heading up a group to do a trail ride for my sisters memorial. We wanted to do something easier for inexperienced riders and this is what I picked (Hurricane Creek). We are stepping off from Charlotte after placing some wreaths at the intersection where a drunk driver took her life. Driving up to the entry point and running the trail. Most of everyone coming with us will need to be back in Charlotte that night. Is this an out and back or is there road access on the other end ?
I also see there's a few different options ( Left right straight ) at one point. Which would be best for us ?

Also, if anyone wanted to do the ride with us, you are more than welcome. It's to be a fun trip and help awareness of drunk driving.

justjames

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Member #

Looking to pick a few brains here. I'm heading up a group to do a trail ride for my sisters memorial. We wanted to do something easier for inexperienced riders and this is what I picked (Hurricane Creek). We are stepping off from Charlotte after placing some wreaths at the intersection where a drunk driver took her life. Driving up to the entry point and running the trail. Most of everyone coming with us will need to be back in Charlotte that night. Is this an out and back or is there road access on the other end ?
I also see there's a few different options ( Left right straight ) at one point. Which would be best for us ?

Also, if anyone wanted to do the ride with us, you are more than welcome. It's to be a fun trip and help awareness of drunk driving.
Hi Justin,
Welcome to Overland Bound. My condolences on your loss. Whether or not Hurricane Creek will be easier or for inexperienced drivers will depend upon a couple of things.

One being the weather prior to your ride. If there has been much precipitation in the days leading up to the trip, there can be some fairly deep water crossings. It has also been wet for so long, there are probably some pretty serious ruts.

The second consideration will be the vehicles on the trip. If all rigs have 4WD and good ground clearance, that will make things easier as well.

Hurricane Creek is pretty much a one way road going north from I-40 up to Max Patch Rd. Max Patch is a county gravel road which will connect with asphalt. There are sections where meeting traffic will cause someone to back up a long distance as there are very few spots for passing. Depending upon the size of your group, you can plan on being on the trail at least 2 hours.

James

Reactions: Justin May

NCJeeper98

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hey folks,
Looking for some suggestions. I'm with a 4x4 club out of Greenville NC, NCKrawlers. We are talking about hitting Hurricane Creek in the near future. No of us have been there. We are thinking about a three dayer. First day camp, second day trails, third day head home. Other than Hurricane Creek and Max Patch, what else could we do. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Reactions: chithead

Darthwj913

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Clark
Member #

Well You have Patriot Mountain Offroad park(Joel Church is a awesome dude) in Valle Cruz(its 15 mins past boone Rigth across from the Original Mast General Store) Wilson creek(30 ish from blowing rock and all on dirt rds) area is nice and easy(Great views off of Maple valley church road and 30 miles of dirt) plus theirs Betsy's old country store has great hotdogs and Bruce is a hoot. Not much is open wheeling during the winter. You could link them as a big day adventure easy access to Wilson creek is via Globe Rd in Blowing Rock.

Cheers

Justin May

Rank 0

Traveler I

That's not a bad idea. (linking multiple runs). 2 hrs seems pretty short for the 3hr drive up and back. As far as capability, we are definitely good. My sisters (now driven by my brother) jeep will be the weak link as 4WD may not be ready yet. We need to regear the front axle to match the rear. However...... It's got a new 6" lift and 35" MTs with locker in the rear. We all have recovery equipment if it needs a tug at any time. Last year we all did Richlands Rd for the memorial ride and I feel it's going to be very similar to that.Thank you all for your input and I do hope to meet some of you guys on some trips soon.Pics from last year.....

FB_IMG_1547570366817.jpg
FB_IMG_1547502798857.jpg
FB_IMG_1547502814598.jpg

Reactions: brianb2

TheDarkKnight

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Harrisburg, NC
Member #

Heading up that way March 8th-10th with about a group of 8 and should be 4 rigs going. LMK if anyone is interested meeting us out there. Driving through buzzard roost then to hurricane creek to max patch. Have gaia route here.

I also heard about the land issue with the property owners but do not know about the current status. I believe the do that trail for the red clay rally still?