louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
if people are really serious about this problem, why not think outside of the box...or in this case, think outside of the bowl. there are electric toilets that basically incinerate shit. i've been wondering for a long time why we still use water to flush shit to a giant treatment plant where it gets "processed" and then drank. why not incinerate it at home and out on the trails. parks can set up shitters with solar panels and there wouldn't be any need for water or people having to come with vacuum trucks to empty vault toilets. these could be set up all over and wouldn't require any utilities to be run other than solar panels and a battery. i'm sure there could easily be travel size electric toilets for individuals that boondock.

our current means of handling doo-doo is barbaric...

Last edited:

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

if people are really serious about this problem, why not think outside of the box...or in this case, think outside of the bowl. there are electric toilets that basically incinerate shit. i've been wondering for a long time why we still use water to flush shit to a giant treatment plant where it gets "processed" and then drank. why not incinerate it at home and out on the trails. parks can set up shitters with solar panels and there wouldn't be any need for water or people having to come with vacuum trucks to empty vault toilets. these could be set up all over and wouldn't require any utilities to be run other than solar panels and a battery. i'm sure there could easily be travel size electric toilets for individuals that boondock.

Barbaric is how it's handled in the forest, medieval is throwing it in the street, modern is very good for disease control, though I agree water intensive. The NFS can't keep TP in the restrooms, you think they can keep incinolet liners in stock?
I vote for education and peer pressure and I do like the incinolet I think it has a place too.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
So the overlanding, boon docking season is here.

I run my dog on the beach, yesterday a Ford Transit thing was parked where I often do so we kept going
Hes gone today so the dog runs, I walk and what do we discover 20' grom where he camped.....

HUMAN FECES

Too freaking lazy to dig an 8" deep hole and cover it up, Nope, lets just dump a load and leave.

For anyone wondering why the locals hate you.
This is top of the list.

Get a brain, quit being a lazy, inconsiderate peice of crap and quit dumping a load in the forest.
No, HUMAN FECES is not the same as deer droppings.
UNBELIEVABLE IGNORANCE !

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I clicked on this thread thinking it was a GM cv axle thread.

• Love
Reactions: grubworm

Jhop567

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Sagle, Idaho
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Hopkins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRFL231
Service Branch
LEO

Good idea...unfortunately some Newby Overlanding BEM (booger eating moron) would steal the solar panels and batteries and attach same to his rig.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
When fusion becomes popular, you'll just liquefy your waste in a septic tank, and then dump your waste right into your power system.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Thank you for raising the issue. Human excrements are often found around popular wild camp spots or rest areas. Sometimes this is even like a minefield. Not good at all. If excrements are not covered or buried, they can be washed away by rain and even end up in nearby rivers, lakes, etc. It should go without saying that toilet paper or other hygiene products should not be disposed in nature.

And anyway, even if there are no corresponding prohibitions in the respective travel region, it should be refrained from using the nature as a toilet, because it simply means a (visual) pollution of the environment and nature. And a rotting also takes its time. In addition, the human being feces contain all that which the body cannot or does not want to process. This also includes pathogens and pollutants. Sometimes the argument is, that wild animals also poo into the forest. However, the comparison has some weaknesses, because wild animals spread their excrements over a large area, do not ingest medicines, and ideally do not ingest pollutants with their food. By the way, through the human excrements, pathogens could also get into areas where they are not native, when travelling. Besides, just because bear and wild boar do it, doesn't mean we have to. Also, please keep in mind that animals may be attracted to human droppings, which can cause a surprise.

There are also plenty of alternatives. Be it the on-board toilet, which now comes in so many different designs, rest areas with public toilets, campsites, etc. Or simply take the leftovers in a plastic bag and dispose them at the next opportunity. All very simple.

For the overnight place, we leave it at least as clean as we found it or even better. This way we can still enjoy traveling and nice places for a long time.

er waddell

Rank VI
Investor

Influencer I

Bay Colony Street, Las Vegas, Nevada 89131, United States
First Name
Earl
Last Name
Waddell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7GYU
Service Branch
United States Army
My last overnighter I found multiple piles where people had done their business and just piled little rocks on top of the poop and TP. Like little cairns. They didn't even bother to dig at all. What do they think will happen if everyone does this? I guess I should not be shocked at this type of behavior, but I still am.
I personally use WAG bags and take everything out with me.

WAYAWAY

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
P
Member #

So the overlanding, boon docking season is here.

I run my dog on the beach, yesterday a Ford Transit thing was parked where I often do so we kept going
Hes gone today so the dog runs, I walk and what do we discover 20' grom where he camped.....

HUMAN FECES

Too freaking lazy to dig an 8" deep hole and cover it up, Nope, lets just dump a load and leave.

For anyone wondering why the locals hate you.
This is top of the list.

Get a brain, quit being a lazy, inconsiderate peice of crap and quit dumping a load in the forest.
No, HUMAN FECES is not the same as deer droppings.
Everyone needs a copy of this:

Reactions: Billiebob

2dub

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Moyock, NC
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Workman
Then each day I'm out I drop a 1 quart zip lock bag full of pine pellets in the toilet/trash bag. The pellets turn it all into sawdust and absorb the odors
@CG87 Pine pellets like the bedding you get at Tractor Supply Company??? This seems so simple and ingenious. I love it.

Reactions: Billiebob

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

Curious as well. I need a multi day girl approved method
Cleanwaste portable toilets and wag bags with a pop-up stall. Easy to pack out with the trash and no smell if it's a few days between stops. I honestly use them everywhere (though no toilet on solo trips) just to not leave human waste behind.

Reactions: El-Dracho