MPLUTO

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Sammamish, WA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FDA
Working on getting my technician class license. Got a baofeng handheld but debating a mobile for the truck. Figure this is one of those buy once, cry once types of things. But $450+ is a tough swallow. Worth doubling down?

Reactions: Drifterman

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
Working on getting my technician class license. Got a baofeng handheld but debating a mobile for the truck. Figure this is one of those buy once, cry once types of things. But $450+ is a tough swallow. Worth doubling down?
I don't have my FTM400XDR yet, but I do have a handheld Baofeng UV82HP. I have an external antenna mounted on my Jeep. The Baofeng works fine but I do find it a little difficult using it mobile. It's fine if you just set it to one channel and use a handheld speaker/mic, but it is hard to see the display and changing channels while moving is not easy. When you add in the external antenna cable and power cable, it gets a bit messy on the dash. YMMV and all that but I'm looking forward to the big display and big knobs on the FTM400xdr and the ability to use APRS along with the increased wattage output.

Drifterman

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

East Patchogue, NY, USA
First Name
Fluffy
Last Name
Drifter
Member #

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
See i like it as long as you stay out of water ive [emoji31] swamped my motor with pa silt before and had water in my wrangler unlimited tub
Agreed! River crossings like the one in my avatar are not frequent out here (and even that one had no water intrusion), and the mounting plate is still a couple inches above the floor so I'm probably going to risk it. I'll have to see once the radio arrives if there's anywhere else I can stash the chassis.

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
The latest update from HRO is "Waiting on Yaesu", which frankly, isn't much of an update. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't getting impatient. I do find it a bit odd that they charged my credit card when I ordered and not when it ships but maybe that's just me.

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
I've been gathering a few bits to setup my FTM400. I decided to switch from a Vector Offroad dock and ram mounts in the JK to the 67Designs mounting system.

I ordered a Lido mount for the FTM which I'm going to combine with a Ram Plastic Socket Cradle connector to simplify things a bit and reduce the number of "connectors" between the panel and the mounting arm, less chance for things to move around.

Ram connector:

I combined this with the socket, ring and screw from the lido mount which you can purchase here, Lido Yaesu FTM mount to achieve this:

It makes for a very compact mounting solution that will then be connected to the 67 Designs arm. This can also work with a standard Ram diamond mount.
This is the 67 Designs arm with their Diamond shaped mount attached:

I'm hoping to get it all installed this weekend although because I am going to order a shorter arm to position the panel just above the radio, I probably won't have pics until next week.

kiloxraysierra

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kitchener, ON, Canada
First Name
Kirk
Last Name
Sinclair
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3KXS
I managed to find the only FTM-400XDR in stock at Radioworld up here in Ontario last weekend. Bought the Yaesu MLS-200-M10 external speaker as well.

I was running a Yaesu VX-7R HT with a quarter wave mag mount on my truck previously. The FTM-400XDR is worlds better. Same antenna but much less noise and I’m pulling in signals I couldn’t hear before. Definitely worth the money for just that. Add in APRS and the digital modes and it’s a great radio IMO.

I have a Ram 1500 and tucked the body and speaker in under the center console. I’m working on putting together some patch ports on the console so I can run small jumpers to the radio for the headunit and mic. I’ll try to post something when I get all the bits together.

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Go my radio installed today. Mounted the Comet SBB5 right on my ARB Summit bull bar. Perfect little antenna mount tabs on that thing. Comet 3D5M cable is about 16' and almost long enough. Had to mount the main unit under the driver seat. Got the coax through the firewall without too much pain.

Mounted the remote right on my dash with the included sticky thing. Hopefully that works. I bought an extended mic cable and also the external speaker. The speaker is amazing. The radio is crazy clear. i made a couple contacts on the local repeater and it was like having people in the rig with me! I mounted the speaker on the front of my fridge which is in my middle 2nd row. I can hear it well. I didn't have a good spot for it in the front of the cab.

Overall... love the setup. I've mostly just used handheld transceivers before, which is really limiting. Now I can make contacts all over the Des Moines metro without a second thought. It just works.

Citizen Rob

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Stockton, CA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSM
Go my radio installed today. Mounted the Comet SBB5 right on my ARB Summit bull bar. Perfect little antenna mount tabs on that thing. Comet 3D5M cable is about 16' and almost long enough. Had to mount the main unit under the driver seat. Got the coax through the firewall without too much pain.

Mounted the remote right on my dash with the included sticky thing. Hopefully that works. I bought an extended mic cable and also the external speaker. The speaker is amazing. The radio is crazy clear. i made a couple contacts on the local repeater and it was like having people in the rig with me! I mounted the speaker on the front of my fridge which is in my middle 2nd row. I can hear it well. I didn't have a good spot for it in the front of the cab.

Overall... love the setup. I've mostly just used handheld transceivers before, which is really limiting. Now I can make contacts all over the Des Moines metro without a second thought. It just works.

Did you get the radio through HRO? If so, how long ago did you order it?

MPLUTO

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Sammamish, WA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FDA
About to place my order, am I missing anything?

Transceiver - Yaesu FTM-400XDR
Speaker - Yaesu MLS-200M10
Antenna - Larsen NMO2/70B Black
NMO Cable Assembly - Diamond C213S-NMO
Fender Mount - NCG FO3ANTNCG
N2RGA Control Head Extension Cable & Microphone Extension Cable 10' set

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
About to place my order, am I missing anything?

Transceiver - Yaesu FTM-400XDR
Speaker - Yaesu MLS-200M10
Antenna - Larsen NMO2/70B Black
NMO Cable Assembly - Diamond C213S-NMO
Fender Mount - NCG FO3ANTNCG
N2RGA Control Head Extension Cable & Microphone Extension Cable 10' set
I didn't need to extend the control head cable in my Jeep with the unit under the passenger seat and the control head mounted in the center of the dash. I do agree the Mic cable is too short and will be ordering an extension for it.

I will also be ordering the speaker as the Jeep is a bit noisy and some more volume would be helpful.

kiloxraysierra

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kitchener, ON, Canada
First Name
Kirk
Last Name
Sinclair
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3KXS
I didn't need to extend the control head cable in my Jeep with the unit under the passenger seat and the control head mounted in the center of the dash. I do agree the Mic cable is too short and will be ordering an extension for it.

I will also be ordering the speaker as the Jeep is a bit noisy and some more volume would be helpful.
I used these to extend my cables - I was able to mount them in the console of my truck so I can easily plug in the head unit and mic.

https://canada.newark.com/l-com/ecf5046s-bk/rj12-coupler-jack-jack-6pos-cat3/dp/50AC8548

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
Here's my setup, although apologies for not the best pic. I bolted the ham chassis to the bottom of the seat which keeps it up out of the way. Head unit is on a 67 Designs JK mount, next to the tablet on the same. Inreach SE is behind the tablet on a JeepUniq mount, you can see the yellow case peaking through, which works because I don't really need any access to it once it's turned on. I'm using (2) Nite-ize Steelie magnetic mounts for the mics, one for the ham and one for the Midland MXT115. There is an additional mic holder on the InReach mount for when the CB is needed. I've go some cable management to do but otherwise it worked well on our last trip.

I'll get some better pics this weekend.