• HTML tutorial

Sea Diamond

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Sea
Last Name
Diamond
Looks like I could very well be the first member from over here. Ran across this site a few weeks backs and I've had my nose stuck in it ever since!

Me and my miss' travel around in what's call a BJ40L 2016...kinda looks like a jeep (roof and doors come off and windshield folds down). Has a Saab 2.3l turbo coupled to an Aisin 6sp tranny and a Borgwarner transfercase.
We just got back from a 5 month journey traveling Western China along the Myanmar border towards the Tibetan Plateau. Slept in our Yakima HD rrt the entire time. An absolutely amazing adventure.

Anyways...looking forward to interacting with all the like minded folks here.

Happy New Year!

Screenshot_20230102_111120.jpg
Screenshot_20230102_111305.jpg
Screenshot_20230102_111522.jpg
Screenshot_20230102_111701.jpg

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Looks like I could very well be the first member from over here. Ran across this site a few weeks backs and I've had my nose stuck in it ever since!

Me and my miss' travel around in what's call a BJ40L 2016...kinda looks like a jeep (roof and doors come off and windshield folds down). Has a Saab 2.3l turbo coupled to an Aisin 6sp tranny and a Borgwarner transfercase.
We just got back from a 5 month journey traveling Western China along the Myanmar border towards the Tibetan Plateau. Slept in our Yakima HD rrt the entire time. An absolutely amazing adventure.

Happy New Year!

View attachment 247648
View attachment 247649
View attachment 247650
View attachment 247651
Welcome To Overland Bound
Outstanding pictures, cant wait to see more posts from China.
Check the forum calendar and Meet-Up page for events, and the Trip Planning page for trips being planned by members. These pages can be filtered by region.
Overland Bound Meetups
Overland Trip Planning
You can use the Member Map to find other members and events in your area. You can also send a message directly from the map to other members.
RESOURCE MAP
App Tutorials
Overland Bound One App Adventure and Expedition Tutorials
Local information for any of our regions can also be found in the “Overland Bound by Region”
OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY
Quick adult & youthTread Lightly online awareness course.
Online Courses - Tread Lightly
Tread Lightly! Youth Online Course
If you have any questions don't hesitate to message me, hopefully I can get you going in the right direction. @Kent R or Kent@OverlandBound.com

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi and welcome to Overland Bound!

Awesome pictures. Thanks for sharing. I like the yaks. Have seen many of them in Central Asia and Mongolia. They are great animals, somehow they make the impression on me as if they would come from another time.

Greetings from Europe,
Bjoern

S

SoCoRuss

Welcome aboard. I like the Yaks also. A rancher near us has 4 of them. They stay up in the high pastures even in winter.

Reactions: Sea Diamond

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF

Happy New Year!

View attachment 247648
View attachment 247649
View attachment 247650
View attachment 247651
Hello and welcome to the OB family.

Sea Diamond

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Sea
Last Name
Diamond
hey thanks for the warm welcomes guys...

Really lookin' forward to checking out everyone's adventures and of course posting ours. Currently we're in the early preps to head North next Spring...up towards Inner Mongolia and then make our way across to the Tibetan Plateau. Should be another half year road trip. But definitely "overlanding" by any definition of the term.

There are no State Campsites here...so camping is best done in what I call Stealth Mode. The less people know where you are is ALWAYS the better....and we tend to hang out in spots upwards to a month at times. But camping is starting to catch and I do see the gov getting involved as popularity grows.

Anyways...again thx for the welcome. I figure I'll post pics and tell our story in one of the thread categories here for those who might be interested.

Cheers
Sea Diamond

Attachments

Reactions: roots66 and MazeVX

AggieOE

Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

Man that is one cool vehicle! Definitely looks like a cross between a Jeep, Hummer H3, and a Trooper.
Looks like y'all have some pretty country to explore. So if you haven't any State campsites, what options do you have for camping? Are there private lands or anything?

Sea Diamond

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Sea
Last Name
Diamond
Man that is one cool vehicle! Definitely looks like a cross between a Jeep, Hummer H3, and a Trooper.
Looks like y'all have some pretty country to explore. So if you haven't any State campsites, what options do you have for camping? Are there private lands or anything?
hey Nathan

Ya...the vehicle has been good so far and confidence just continues to build. I was a happy Saab owner back in the day and when I found out she had a Saab powerplant I was hooked. Looking fwd to taking off the doors and roof one day.

Camping here is difficult and for sure we've been kicked out of our fair share of sites. It's basically a game of hide and seek...which I'm sure a black wig would have a huge benefit...haha

Now that covid rules have been relaxed traveling will be much easier...it's been a long haul for all of us!

Attachments

Reactions: MazeVX and AggieOE
S

SoCoRuss

It has always amazed me how many great overland vehicles there are overseas but none can be brought into the US!!!!

Reactions: zgfiredude

Sea Diamond

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Sea
Last Name
Diamond
It has always amazed me how many great overland vehicles there are overseas but none can be brought into the US!!!!
Well you can probably thank your EPA for that...but take solace in the fact that most are copied versions of what you already have ; ) China does have many options and there are ex military vehicles that have caught my eye. But it seems Toyota LC reins supreme up north.

Here's something I could build a box on when I get tired of sleeping in a RTT...

Attachments

Builder III

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Augustine
Last Name
Wheelister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRVW409
Service Branch
Army
It’s amazing what zero regard for intellectual property can create!

Very cool vehicle, beautiful country, can’t wait to see more of that part of the world through your posts

Sea Diamond

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Sea
Last Name
Diamond
It’s amazing what zero regard for intellectual property can create!

Very cool vehicle, beautiful country, can’t wait to see more of that part of the world through your posts
Yes...I understand re your IP comment...but things have changed considerably. Land Rover for instance have been successful putting manufacturers on notice...and the company that builds our vehicle bought Saab's 93/95 platforms to introduce into their production.

For me overlanding here is definitely all about the different ethnicities and cultures that you move through in relively short distances. We've been up in mountains and come across herders wearing rain gear that hasn't changed in a thousand years. Really amazing experiences so far.

Attachments

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
@Sea Diamond, Welcome to Overland Bound. Some beautiful countryside in your pictures, great that you can dedicated large chunks of time to your trips. Look forward to seeing more pictures and stories of your travels.