Greg
Last Name
Hutchings
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K9DEM
Service Branch
Air Force
The ominous vehicle accident has happened. Your vehicle catches fire and burns down, there’s nothing left. The insurance is giving you replacement value. Would you get the same vehicle and equipment, or would you change everything?

Knowing what you know now, how would you rebuild?

Reactions: AggieOE

a12houk

Rank VII

Off-Road Ranger I

Rochester, Washington, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Houk
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRQJ715
The ominous vehicle accident has happened. Your vehicle catches fire and burns down, there’s nothing left. The insurance is giving you replacement value. Would you get the same vehicle and equipment, or would you change everything?

Wow! Huge question…
I definitely would not do another Tacoma simply due to the challenges of fitting larger tires and the horribly sculpted seat.

Jeep Gladiator, Ford Bronco, Wrangler, and Ranger would all be in the running.

AggieOE

Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

This is a great question!
I've thought about this a bit for both our vehicles.
At this moment and not waiting for future Gens or options:

Our 4Runner would be swapped for either a new TRD OR or a GX per my wife's instructions. Each would include immediate swaps to BFG or Toyo All-Terrain Tires and short Bilstein suspension lifts (1-2"). Other than that, stock. I'm also wanting her to consider a Porsche Cayenne but not getting far there.

For my Jeep though, I would do a new Rubicon 4xe, loaded with the Recon package and would keep it mostly stock. Since I work from home, my daily commute is only a few miles to and from my kid's daycare. That being said, if I could get my hands on a Grenadier in a short timeframe, I'd consider that.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
i have a V-8 tundra with a shell and level kit to fit 285s...been perfect as a daily driver and travel rig. if i had to start over with a rig, not sure what id do. toyota quit making the V-8 and the tundra is now V-6 with turbo. i might go with a ram with a V-8 and then just do the same set up since it works so good for what we need.
i love the tundra, but always hate getting a vehicle that is new in design, especially when changing engines. i bought a F-350 the first year they went with the 6.4 powerstroke and i had constant problems with that engine

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
They no longer sell the Montero/Shogun/Pajero so obviously no way to replicate with a new one, although we could look for a second-hand low mileage one, as recent as possible. We'd design a bed frame which can be moved up and down, and a lower profile refrigerator on a better slide, put in more power outlets and camera storage with quick access, and think through whether we really need solar panels and an additional battery.

Reactions: Bama_Kiwi

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@NV Ranger I would definitely not rebuild my rig. Overbuilding on every front made it almost unusable for daily driving, so I bought another one to keep moderate. Basically, I'm already starting over, just didn't lose the first one!

2" lift, 31" tires, done. May be a hitch receiver and some roof lights, eventually, but not much else.

Snapspinner

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Fuquay-Varina, NC, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Whipple
Member #

Since we just traded a Tacoma in for a Tacoma, I'd have to say a Tacoma. I'm a Toyota fan-boi so I'll adjust around the trucks shortcomings to drive what i think is the most reliable truck out there.

I might make a different decision if I won the lottery or something but I'm pretty happy with where I'm at now. In a dream rig, I'd add something like a go fast camper, a crazy suspension setup, I dunno? Lots of options if moneys no restraint.

Akicita

Rank IV

Advocate I

Firestone, CO, USA
First Name
Akicita
Last Name
Lakota
Member #

. . . exactly the same:

IMG_0622.jpg

Reactions: DintDobbs

slowlane

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Wisconsin USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Bender
I'd get a van. A Ford E-Series or Chevrolet Express cargo van somewhere around 2010-ish would be my number one choice. A passenger van could work too. I used to have a GMC Safari that I drove all over the place and I'd definitely consider another Astro/Safari, but at least where I am, they are pretty much all trashed nowadays. Build it into a basic camper inside, nothing fancy. Ideally it would have a limited slip or locking rear end and I'd get some decent A/T tires. Fix what needed fixing and head out. Hate to admit it, but I've actually thought about a minivan too. I know it's lame, but my mom has a 2012 Sienna and I've driven it some. It get's 25mpg highway, is much nicer riding than a full-size van, and would probably take me to about 95% of the places I have gone so far.

Last edited:

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
That is easy import a Left hand Drive TD5 Discovery II from Spain, about 16000 dropped at the port of Vancouver and continue on with Land Rovers. Or get into an LR3/LR4.

zgfiredude

Rank VI

Steward I

Silt, CO, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Nichols
Member #

Service Branch
Firefighter
I would do one of the following: Gladiator 392, first gen Sequoia or an 87-92 Square body Suburban. Love my JKUR, but V-8 baby!

CWu21

Rank IV
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Meridian, ID, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
A
Member #

My only issue is my color is no longer available. But as long as the diesel is available in the wrangler I would get the same vehicle. I know a lot more now of what I like and didn’t like so I wouldn’t waste a bunch of money trying things out but this is the first vehicle I have ever owned that even after 3 years I still love it.

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@CWu21 Wow, I feel sorry for you - I've never bought a vehicle I didn't love, and every time I drive any of them, it puts a smile on my face (figuratively, some times literally). If I didn't connect with it on the test drive, I didn't buy it. Hard no.

Glad ya found your groove with the Jeep! If something ever does happen to it, now you know exactly what to seek out!

Reactions: CWu21

CWu21

Rank IV
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Meridian, ID, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
A
Member #

@CWu21 Wow, I feel sorry for you - I've never bought a vehicle I didn't love, and every time I drive any of them, it puts a smile on my face (figuratively, some times literally). If I didn't connect with it on the test drive, I didn't buy it. Hard no.

Glad ya found your groove with the Jeep! If something ever does happen to it, now you know exactly what to seek out!
I loved a couple of my vehicles in the past but the love would wear off in a year to two tops. Most vehicles I bought I sacrificed my pleasure for the families needs. This was the first time I actually just said F* it I’m buying what I want and how I want it and went for it. Looks like it was the right call should have done that years ago lol

Reactions: A Duffield

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@CWu21 Can agree! Not enjoying the mundane things in life (such as the drive to work) adds up to not enjoying the whole. Seemingly "insignificant" things make up the brunt of life, but your quality of life and daily outlook improve greatly when you cultivate an enjoyable passive experience.

Rock on!

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

If I could start over I would probably buy a JK or JL Rubicon. 33s or 35s and factory lockers would likely get me anywhere I regularly go. I would still put front and rear bumpers on it, winch up front, tire carrier in the rear.... and I'd have to make sure there's enough room in the back for 2 car seats lol. one thing my current trail rig doesn't have anymore, and the compass is limiting the spots I can get to.
That would pretty much be it. Fairly simple straight forward build, built to my needs and nobody else's expectations lol.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
I would get something with a manual transmission. Sure the auto in my Land Cruiser is practically bulletproof, but autos are sooooo BORING. I would probably explore importing a diesel/5speed Land Cruiser. The build of whatever manual transmission vehicle I find would be about the same as my current Cruiser: bigger fuel tank, skids, bumper, dual battery and 33's.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Hmm.
The problem here is the insurance company "may" give you the vehicles value but almost never the add on's.
I tend to build something new every five years. I sell my toy and start over. That means I lose money but, I don't care. Part of the enjoyment is researching and building.

As it sits, I keep looking at my 96 FJ80 Cruiser and thinking about starting over. I'm probably ~ 25k into it with the entire driveline new and modified. Parts are getting scarce and most of the aftermarket is poor quality. Its getting to the point where somethings wont be available.
A requirement of my vehicles is, they have to be nice. Not perfect, nice. I don't want to drive something with broken visors, crappy carpet and worn out weather stripping. I am also tired of Frankenstein vehicles. That's where you make whatever fit to get by.

My choice would have to be something new. I already have a slightly built Tacoma so it would have to be another SUV. As much as I don't like the poor engineering Jeep does, they have gotten better. If it was an SUV it would be a new 4dr Rubicon.
My second choice would be another truck with a pop up shell. Not sure which truck though. The new full size are either, way too big or again, poor engineering.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
Our WJ was totaled in a five vehicle crash three months after we purchased it used in 2006, and was replaced with a Jeep Commander while the WJ sat in the driveway waiting to be parted out. Michelle had fallen in love with the WJ in the three months and just did not enjoy driving the Commander as much, so we rebuilt and resurrected the WJ building it into the rig that she still drives today. Now that we will never be able to pry it out of her cold dead fingers, I really hope that it does not have to repeat history again, if so we would change nothing on it except for wishing we could reset the mileage back a few years from the 230k it currently has.

Eeyore the JKU might be a different story, love the Wrangler platform as it is super capable and loves challenging trails, however I could do without some of its quirks, i.e. constant chasing of why there is water on the front floor boards and where did it get in this time, and rather anemic 3.6 liter engine that combines very little power with poor fuel mileage. The lack of storage space was a known factor, but a worthwhile tradeoff for its off highway agility. If we went with the same rig again, would build it virtually the same, but likely with a manual transmission or a V8 conversion or maybe both. Alternate platforms would be a 392 Wrangler or Gladiator, A a 79 series L/C diesel with left hand drive if they were a readily available option here.