How to use a Tab E Tablet with GAIA premium, off-grid?

• HTML tutorial

JoshDante

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Waterford Twp, MI, USA
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Dante
Member #

Service Branch
USAF vet
So I've looked through a few posts here and I'm frankly still confused about how you guys get GPS on a tablet while off-grid. I went to two different Best Buys today and they both said that it can't be done with a tablet, which I know must be wrong. I said "I need GPS on a tablet, where there is no cell coverage or wifi". However, when I stated the same thing to the guy at T-mobile, he said it could be done and I ordered a Tab E by Samsung with unlimited data.

Now I know that there must be a reason that Best Buy said this (they also don't use T-mobile, which I use, but I can't figure out how, without having an external dedicated GPS (like an inReach), a tablet could be used off-grid....what is it that a tablet MUST have in order to be able to do to show you where you are on a GAIA map, once you are outside of cell tower range?

Thanks much!

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

A tablet must have a GPS receiver chipset built in, or use one that is external to the tablet.

Most I've seen use a bluetooth capable GPS receiver similar to the one linked below, which allows tablets without built in GPS to receive the GPS data over bluetooth.

http://a.co/d/77hHuA5

As I understand it your Galaxy Tab has it built in similar to my iPad, but someone more familiar with android can probably tell you exactly where to turn it on in the settings.

Also note, the GPS alone only helps you off-grid if you've previously downloaded the map tiles for the area you want to travel to the tablet.

Last edited:

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

I’m no expert, but my understanding was that you needed a cellular capable tablet (so it comes with GPS, which WiFi only do not).

And you can use the GPS without having to connect to cellular service.

But I could be wrong..... [emoji16]

Hafaday

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Richmond, VA.
Member #

Like @systemdelete said... the Tab E has built in GPS. Now all you need is an app (Gaia, like you said) in order for the gps to put you on the map and track you. Of course you will have to download maps of the area you will be in, in order for it to work.

That said, for the most part today, you can add GPS to almost anything tablet or computer wise. Even if it did not come with GPS. Weather an added usb/Bluetooth GPS and a program/app.

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

The general consensus if your tablet does not have GPS is the Bad Elf ancillary GPS, which can be mounted in the window for better reception than down on the console where tablets are usually mounted. There are a lot of threads in this subforum on using GPS with a tablet.

JoshDante

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Waterford Twp, MI, USA
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Dante
Member #

Service Branch
USAF vet
Thanks to everybody for the great responses, and good to know that, if I want to switch devices, Bad Elf is a way to go too! Much appreciated

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
I use a QStarz bluetooth GPS puck (specifically the BT-Q818) for my non-GPS capable android tablet. These steps should be the same no matter what android tablet and bluetooth GPS device you end up using:
  1. Pair your external bluetooth GPS device with your tablet
  2. Enable developer mode
  3. Go inside the newly visible Developer Options and enable "Allow mock locations"
  4. Install and run a Bluetooth GPS app, I use "Bluetooth GPS Provider" but there are many.
  5. Open up Gaia, and you should be in business.
NOTE: when you turn on a GPS device for the first time, or one that has not been used for a significant amount of time, it may take a few minutes or more to initially connect and start sending data

MoreGone

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Mesa, AZ
Member #

I use a Nexus 7 (2013) that is a wifi tablet that has GPS. Most wifi tablets will not have GPS but every Data enabled tablet will. It is older but it does the job. I am thinking about mounting it into my sun visor full time. Well having it "docked" so that it is removable.

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
Dual makes a good gps puck as well, very reasonably priced.