How to Remove an OB Emblem

• HTML tutorial

Corey

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Auburn, WA.
Member #

ADDITION TO POST FROM OB: Many people have asked how to remove an OB Emblem. It's not easy! Maybe you want it on a different place, or you want to remove it to place it on another vehicle? Here is a great process from Corey!

You can get new adhesive disks in our store here: New Emblem Adhesive
=====================================================

Update, got my second badge put on today.
What a chore getting the old one off.
I had tried 30 weight fishing line last week, but it kept snapping on me.
This morning I got out my old Conair hair drier and set it to full power and heated up the old badge good and hot.
I tired the fishing line again, and it cut through like a hot butter knife, but what a mess when I pulled the old badge off.

When I installed it many years ago, it did not come with an adhesive backing like the nice ones we got from Michael here.
Michael, your emblems rock!
I had to install several strips to the back of the old badge which was two way sticky.

A few pics from today, and an old one showing my old badge when it was new.
The paint and plastic inserts had started to flake off, it was not very well made.

It looked good when it was brand new

Compare it now just an hour or so ago when I took it off

Items used to take old emblem and adhesive strips off of the rear door

New OB emblem installed in about the center of where the larger old one was

I still have some residue left that is about 1/4" outside of the diameter of the new one, and I scrubbed and scrubbed some more with the Goo Gone Pro Power with plastic razor blades, a pot & pan nylon scrubber, but a little bit remains still
I may try getting some good rubbing compound and see if that will take it off.
You cannot see it in the picture I do not think.

The new emblem looks pretty good in that position I think.

Last edited by a moderator:

BeastModeABM

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Big Bear City, CA
Member #

Try 3M adhesive remover. I think they sell it at auto parts stores. If not then any reputable paint shop should have some. I de-badged my Subaru and used the adhesive remover. Worked like a charm!
Will that damage the paint? I installed 2 on the back because I didn't like the placement of the first and the second I haven't removed yet.

stuart.404

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Naperville, Illinois
Member #

Thanks for this thread! I used garden wire instead of fishing line and it worked well. It's that thin metal wire covered in plastic that you might normally use for tying back plants and it shouldn't snap.

Just wanted to add something here, which we discovered not long ago. We at first wanted to take the newly acquired jeep down the street from the dealership to a ceramic coatings company. We had plan on having them coat the jeep, but after hearing it wouldn't last and we would have to keep returning, we changed our minds.

But knowing this and if those of you buy used and find out that nothing is sticking to your vehicle, this might be the issue why. As we've been told by the coating company that nothing will stick to the surface of the vehicle once this coating is applied. This would have meant all decals badged etc needed to be place on the vehicle before this coating is applied. Just so you know.

Voodoo 1

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Edmonds, WA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Hoskins
Member #

This is excellent information.

I was just driving back to work, and I started thinking about that.
Thought to myself (since I'm new to OB), I bet there is information about this on the forum.
And look at that

Reactions: Bad Sport and Corey

RangeRoverLander

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Red Rocks, Colorado
Member #

Great advice! Switched rigs today and in less than 20 min I had the emblems off. No residue left behind at all!

1. Wife’s hair dryer on high for about 5 min. per emblem.
2. Fishing line from the kid’s tackle used in a “sawing” motion.

EzPz

Reactions: Bad Sport and Corey

Corey

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Auburn, WA.
Member #

Great advice! Switched rigs today and in less than 20 min I had the emblems off. No residue left behind at all!

1. Wife’s hair dryer on high for about 5 min. per emblem.
2. Fishing line from the kid’s tackle used in a “sawing” motion.

EzPz
Glad it worked for you too.

AdvNerd

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Austin, TX
Just wanted to post this here. I shared it in the Southeast OB Facebook group. I learned the paint on my 2014 Forester didn't like sticker remover spray so when I had to put my emblem on I placed a circular piece of vinyl under it.

Well, I just sold my car and it worked! Came right off in 5 seconds and looked pretty cool while it was on the vehicle. Definitely doing this again on my next vehicle!

37557688_10212257815257599_2780440851086573568_o.jpg 37607838_10212257814857589_6332424447496028160_o.jpg

Robert Jordan

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Grass Valley, CA
Member #

Not sure if it has been said but if you use fishing line you need to use something like Spider Wire or Power Pro. Braided lines wont break and it offers a micro saw tooth for all intents and purposes to help cut through the 3M adhesive backing. This is what we use when we de-badge a vehicle.

Michael Starr

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Kentucky
Member #

Nice. I got my emblems recently, and I was worried they might fall off. I guess I don't need to be concerned about that any more.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

To be blunt why would you want to remove OLB emblems ?
To move it to another vehicle. To take it off to clean and clear coat it. To relocate on your vehicle due to modifications. To sell a vehicle. I’ve done or needed to do all of the above.

Reactions: DaveL