How to protect the 5th gen 4Runner front valence?

• HTML tutorial

SAFETYRUNNER

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Willow Grove, Pennsylvania
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRHZ939
Sorry if I have missed this answer.

I am running a 2016 4Runner Trail and want to delay replacing the front bumper for a while. The vehicle comes stock with thin, basic skid plates but has a large silver plastic valence up front that comes down low and is constantly getting scraped.

The TRD Pro has better protection below but a difference front end, so it is not a clean swap of parts. Does anyone make a metal solution without getting the entire low profile front bumper? Any other solutions?

Thanks.

codesertrat

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Las Vegas, NV
Member #

You might look at RCI metal works they do a lot of protection parts for Toyota's. I don't know if they make exactly what you are looking for though

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

SAFETYRUNNER

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Ken
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
You might look at RCI metal works they do a lot of protection parts for Toyota's. I don't know if they make exactly what you are looking for though
Thanks @codesertrat. I was on the RCI site last night and would like to have their full underside armor. Doesn't look like it comes up to replace that plastic silver piece that I keep hitting. For now, the RCI skid plates would simply be a much more robust version of the OEM Toyota skids.

Here is the RCI site photo for reference. So much cleaner and more protective than what I have. Might as well change my signature to MORE WEIGHT, LESS MONEY!

Reactions: BCBrian

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@SAFETYRUNNER

"MORE WEIGHT, LESS MONEY!" Sounds a bit like becoming a parent. "A father is someone who carries pictures of his children where he used to carry pics of dead presidents."

For your question, All I've seen are the slimline bumpers that replace that section. Check out SSO ( http://www.southernstyleoffroad.com/ ) and see if they have the Slimline bumper for the 5th gen T4R yet. The ones I've seen for earlier models would fit the bill for that valence.

Boort

Last edited:

codesertrat

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Las Vegas, NV
Member #

I'm running their full skid set with diff skid on my 4th gen and couldn't be happier. I thought I had seen they had a bumper filler plate but that might have been for the FJ

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Arizona Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cottonwood, Arizona
Member #

Sorry if I have missed this answer.

I am running a 2016 4Runner Trail and want to delay replacing the front bumper for a while. The vehicle comes stock with thin, basic skid plates but has a large silver plastic valence up front that comes down low and is constantly getting scraped.

The TRD Pro has better protection below but a difference front end, so it is not a clean swap of parts. Does anyone make a metal solution without getting the entire low profile front bumper? Any other solutions?

Thanks.
I don't know why your worried about it. Chicks dig scars.

Reactions: SAFETYRUNNER

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

The protection you are looking for is called a prerunner bumper. The ones they make for the 5th gen typically replace the whole lower bumper however...
Here is a pic of one.

I don't think a company makes them, but you could probably find a fab shop to whip something up for you. Otherwise, I would go with a C4 fab bumper or something similar because they will probably be around the same price point and have the same protection in that area.

OKT4RCPL

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Chandler Oklahoma
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5DVC
The one part you are asking about can be removed by itself and sprayed with truck bed liner or rhino lined if you wish. Lots of folks do this and I even looked at a Runner on a car lot that had this done. Im going to remove mine and truck bed liner spray it down for now. Im looking at getting a C4 Lo Pro bumper which will replace that whole area without doing the whole front end.

Reactions: SAFETYRUNNER

SAFETYRUNNER

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Ken
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
The one part you are asking about can be removed by itself and sprayed with truck bed liner or rhino lined if you wish. Lots of folks do this and I even looked at a Runner on a car lot that had this done. Im going to remove mine and truck bed liner spray it down for now. Im looking at getting a C4 Lo Pro bumper which will replace that whole area without doing the whole front end.
I'm sure I'll end up with one of the Lo Pro bumpers, but it leads to adding a light bar, etc. Before I'm done, that purchase is $1k. In fact, every purchase for this rig seems to be around $1k and up. And I thought my other hobbies were expensive...

I'm actually leaning toward the Southern Style Offroad Slimline Hybrid Bumper. It looks sharp. Once I get my SSO rock sliders mounted, I'll have a sense of their build quality. So far their sales and support have been exemplary.

Last edited:

SAFETYRUNNER

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Ken
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I know what you mean...I went from a BOSS 302 and racing to this to save money :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
And I went from a high powered BMW coupe to make more room for our new dog to enjoy the ride. Then I caught the offroad bug. Can you hear that sucking sound? I think my vacuum pump is directly connected to my bank account.

Sent from my SM-N910V using OB Talk mobile app

Arizona Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cottonwood, Arizona
Member #

I'm sure I'll end up with one of the Lo Pro bumpers, but it leads to adding a light bar, etc. Before I'm done, that purchase is $1k. In fact, every purchase for this rig seems to be around $1k and up. And I thought my other hobbies were expensive...

I'm actually leaning toward the Southern Style Offroad Slimline Hybrid Bumper. It looks sharp. Once I get my SSO rock sliders mounted, I'll have a sense of their build quality. So far their sales and support have been exemplary.
The SOS Bumpers are real nice. Ive seen them in person and I think they are real quality products. I was going to go with the SOS (still might) when I thought I wanted to keep the truck with a stock look, but now I don't think it matters.LOL. It isn't exactly stealthy looking anymore, so I figure Ill just go ARB.

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

I have a question - what do you mean by protect?

from scratches?
from getting ripped off the vehicle?

Took one of these apart to scan while working for TJM USA not sure what I remember - but you might be able to cut it off and replace it with a 1/4" thick piece off bent Aluminum? Just not sure/rmember where/what there is to bolt it to have the whole front of the vehicle/bumper being molded plastic.

GSDforLife

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hudson Valley, NY
Member #

Just got the C4 Fab you are talking about and am very pleased. Really well built.fullsizeoutput_92c.jpeg

3wbdriver

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesville, Louisiana
Member #

Excellent product. I got the second one they ever made. I like to claim to be the inspiration for that bumper because I didn't want to radically change the look of the new nose. As for the OP, see if your dealer has any contacts with a Gulf States dealership. They sell a Gulf States package called the T-Force that has a different front skid added that extends past the bottom of the front valence. Here is my bare bones SSO bumper right after the installation. And below that is a picture of the T-Force skid. I don't know if it will clear your silver bumper cover though because the T-Force package is added on a SR-5 4Runner, and they don't have that additional piece on them.DSC00484.JPGt-force skid.jpg

Reactions: Datilite