Launch Member

Navigator I

Huntsville, AL, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Thanks for this! I made some tonight, and they work great. I had to improvise a double boiler, and wait forever for the wax to melt. But these things burn for awhile. It seemed to take longer to catch fire that I expected. Is there a trick to starting it?

jonald

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Corvallis, OR, USA
First Name
Jonald
Last Name
Gradwohl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF7KWY
Thanks for this! I made some tonight, and they work great. I had to improvise a double boiler, and wait forever for the wax to melt. But these things burn for awhile. It seemed to take longer to catch fire that I expected. Is there a trick to starting it?
The trick is to get a good fuzz standing proud of the disk The fuzzier, the better. I works to scrape it back and forth with your blade. You'll have to scrape away some of the surface wax. Another trick is to tear it in half, or at least part way. That will expose some fuzz.

I made a couple of quick videos for lighting the disks and using cotton to light a candle.

Last edited:

John Hallett

Rank 0

Contributor I

Arizona, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Hallett
We always have a supply of pine knots on hand. When the kiddos were little it would turn into a contest. We split them into small kindling and bundle them up. Stash them in the chuck box, glove box or where ever. I've started many a fire in the pouring rain with them. Just like having a stick of kerosene. I've never tried shaving them down with my knife. But that ferro rod has me thinking.

GITINOVRLND EXPLRR

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Clever, MO, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Runner
Member #

Great ideas. I also use toilet paper tubes stuffed with dryer lint and a used dryer sheet. Tear it apart, spread the lint, shave some magnesium on it and light with flint. Use the toilet paper roll to build it up and add twigs. If your starter twigs are a bit damp the dryer sheet heats them up fast.
Cotton balls soaked in rubbing alcohol in a leak proof container works too.

Reactions: Atlost67

swing

Rank I

Contributor III

California, USA
First Name
Shea
Last Name
Wing
I've been using cotton balls soaked in petroleum jelly for years and it hasn't ever failed me but it is a little messy. I'm going to try adding wax now and see how that compares. Thanks for the tip!

uncompromise

Rank V

Advocate I

Buzy, Pyrénées-Atlantiques, France
First Name
Cameron
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

Thanks @Cort - i used to use dryer lint, but stopped because it’s potentially toxic; now that I live in France where people are living in the dark ages and rely on sunshine and wind to dry everything, that‘s no longer an option, even if we wanted it to be. Will be making up a batch of these for our next journey.

Reactions: cgranier

Sputnik

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Alameda, Bay Area, CA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
H.
Member #

I’ve made the cotton disk and paraffin wax starters but that’s all I used. Is there a substantial benefit to adding pj?

Last edited:

Wyatt Family

Rank III

Contributor III

Reno, NV 89523, USA
First Name
Janeane
Last Name
Wyatt
Member #

We made a batch of the disks for our Mojave Road trip this past week. They worked great. Will definitely keep them around for future trips. Thanks for the idea.

Ironhide

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Camano Island, WA
First Name
Lenny
Last Name
Motta
Member #

I heartily agree. We should be protecting our environment by keeping as much stuff as possible out of the landfill.