Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
While there are a lot of fire starters out there on the commercial market few of them are actually good and most are quite expensive considering the use. A lot of these companies unfortunately put out a bad product knowing that most people will put it in their kit and never test it.

Now let me frame up what my standard for a “great” fire starter. Fire is a core component of survival and you will need it when you are in some austere conditions. To be “great” in my book the fire starter needs to soak in water for at least five minutes and still ignite, few things pass this test.

This cotton disc and fero rod combo are my absolute go to for everyday use and survival. It works every single time.

Let me show you the result, then how to make them.

This first pic demonstrates the fire starter soaking in water, it sat here for a little over 10 minutes.

BA13A96C-13C7-4FDA-AB01-6A4C568F9A52.jpeg

Simply break apart the fire starter to expose the cotton fiber and ignite with your favorite method. Here I use my trusty fero rod and knife which only took three strikes to light. This burned for over 15 minutes, I would say the average is around 10-12 minutes. As you can imagine if all you can find is wet tinder and kindling this gives it a chance to dry out and actually burn.

The volatiles in these as in just about every fire starter do have a shelf life so performance wanes in a few years of being in your kit.

5806DD85-5870-4BF3-B92D-C697AA4333ED.jpeg

So let me show you what you need:

1 lb of canning wax
1 tub of petroleum jelly
1 package of 100 cotton facial discs
Wax paper to cool the discs
A double boiler set up to melt the wax/petroleum jelly
Tongs to hold the discs in the melted solution

Cost of supplies: approximately $13 for 100 fire starters or 13 cents each.

Time to make: 40 minutes from start to finish including clean up.
21C388F6-423A-479C-BF96-F655967770D1.jpeg

Step 1: in a double boiler with the heat on medium melt the jelly and wax until it is a solution.

7F1B941A-6A0D-4900-AA37-E7138D455B9C.jpeg

Step 2: using your tongs dip the cotton disc into the solution then hold over the double boiler to let excess solution drip off.

5361A5C4-5554-4040-A84D-2BC656ACABF3.jpeg

Step 3: set the cotton discs on the wax paper to cool, discs will harden when done.

149DDC42-30F6-488B-9BDA-4ACBC6B25FAF.jpeg

Step 4: clean up and add these to your kit! It’s that easy!

You may be wondering what else passes my water soak test?

1. Cotton balls soaked in petroleum jelly(great but are messy)
2. Fatwood
3. Fero rod
4. Magnesium bar(most on the market are garbage and I don’t recommend these)
5. UCO storm proof matches
6. Esbit cube

What fails every time:

1. Bic lighter
2. Blue tipped diamond matches
3. Matchbooks
4. Butane lighter
5. Coglans fire starter
6. Paper based fire starter
7. Cotton lamp wick
8. Jute rope
9. Dryer lint(most our clothes are synthetic now and just melt)
10. Duraflame firestarter
11. Quick wick
12. Potassium permanangate and sugar
13. Fire piston and char cloth
14. SOL tinder quick
15. Camco fire stick

What looks cool but doesn’t work well enough to trust:
Bow drill(humidity kills this)
Friction fire(humidity kills this)
Lens(need a 10x magnification to work)

I hope this helps you with what should be a core part of everyone’s bug out bag or survival kit. I believe everyone should carry three forms of fire starting material to be safe. Good luck out there!

quadabaum

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Georgia USA
Member #

I am going to give this a shot, thanks for taking the time to post such useful information in a detailed manner.

My go to lately has been dryer lint stuffed inside empty toilet paper rolls, but I doubt it would work it if got wet and it doesnt burn near as long.

Reactions: Cort

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
Thanks! Be careful, a lot of clothing is synthetic which is toxic when burned. Synthetics like to melt more than burn as well so dryer lint doesn’t work as good as it used to.

I am going to give this a shot, thanks for taking the time to post such useful information in a detailed manner.

My go to lately has been dryer lint stuffed inside empty toilet paper rolls, but I doubt it would work it if got wet and it doesnt burn near as long.

Reactions: GPK59 and JimInBC

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I like to use my personal trusty q-tips, run them through everyone's ear that are camping with me for their earwax and any type of lighter. haha

Reactions: sabjku and Cort

DslDad13

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Goodlettsville, TN, USA
Member #

I use dryer lint, roll it into tight little balls and throw 4-5 under your wood

....I forgot to add that the lint I use is the lint that comes off of my work pants which are wranglers, I also do agree that mixed lint is not good to use, burns too fast.

Last edited:
Reactions: tundra21 and Cort

Ironhide

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Camano Island, WA
First Name
Lenny
Last Name
Motta
Member #

OK guys. The most inexpensive fire starters yet consist of cardboard egg cartons, dryer lint, and candle wax. Fill the egg carton compartments with the dryer lint, heat the candle wax in a pot till melted. Pour about a teaspoon of wax into each compartment and you're done. Keep in a dry place of course. To use tear off a compartment, place under dry kindling, light with your preferred method and there it is! My wife and I have amassed dozens of these egg carton fire starters and give them away to friends and family. If you see us on the trail chances are we got an extra carton for you too.

Ironhide

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Camano Island, WA
First Name
Lenny
Last Name
Motta
Member #

OK guys. The most inexpensive fire starters yet consist of cardboard egg cartons, dryer lint, and candle wax. Fill the egg carton compartments with the dryer lint, heat the candle wax in a pot till melted. Pour about a teaspoon of wax into each compartment and you're done. Keep in a dry place of course. To use tear off a compartment, place under dry kindling, light with your preferred method and there it is! My wife and I have amassed dozens of these egg carton fire starters and give them away to friends and family. If you see us on the trail chances are we got an extra carton for you too.
Here's a sample...20180920_085859.jpeg20180920_085926.jpeg20180920_091913.jpeg

tims53777

Rank 0

Traveler I

I save all the old candle wax or those melter thingies in a quart mason jar. When I have enough I take wood shavings, dryer lint, shredded documents - whatever I can find in the trash, waxed dixi cups and whip em up.

I put my *open* mason jar in hot water and wait for the wax to get melty. While thats working, pack the cups with the 'filler', then cover them in the melted wax. Not sure if it would pass the water test but they have yet to fail me in camp! Oh and these are also basically free!

I will be making some of these cotton disc thingies for backpacking for sure

Reactions: Ironhide and Cort

mr.kingtaco

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

El Paso, TX, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Hurtado
Member #

This was a great write up with a bunch of good information. It's also nice to see everyone else chiming in with what they found works.

Here's what I've found in my time in the military thus far. ALWAYS plan on Murphy coming in and messing stuff up at all times. I always carry a Fero rod and survival knife as a backup. Not that they don't make a bunch of usable sparks, but I much prefer to just use a windproof lighter (butane lighter). It's faster and takes less work. As far as the fire starters themselves, I have found that Wet Fire fire starters work best and will light in wet conditions. I use these as my primary starter and then go for the cotton balls soaked in Patroleum Jelly. The downside with the cotton balls is they have to be dry to catch fire. As a last resort, I pack a couple road flares incase all heck has broken loose.

MuckSavage

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Jersey, NJ, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McG
Member #

I copied Cort’s Fire starter & achieved 8 minute burn time (fire starter alone on asphalt with a steady 10 mph wind blowing). A winner for sure. Thanks to Cort & all for the content.

Jimswpa

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Greensburg, PA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB3MPZ
I keep an assortment of things in my fire kit. Dryer lint,steel wool,block of magnesium,birch bark I also keep the usual stuff like water proof matches bic lighter flint and steel

Reactions: Ironhide

Ironhide

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Camano Island, WA
First Name
Lenny
Last Name
Motta
Member #

I heard wd40 dripped Cotten ball
Well if you eat eggs you'll be able to repurpose the cartons. Whether you wash your clothes at home or at the laundrette you will have ample FREE dryer lint. Garage sale candles or just keep your eye out for used up candles we get a lot of free candles. Some of us are on tight budgets so anything we can improvise with free materials is a win.