OB Approved How to make a great fire starter

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast II

Hartford, SD
Thanks, some good info here. We've been using paper egg cartons with wood shavings from the chain saw and melting wax over them. Tempting to try mixing in the petroleum jelly to see if they burn longer. Also going to have to make some of yours. They would take up less space.

Reactions: Cort and Ironhide

Darthwj913

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Clark
Member #

Personally,

Im a Cotton ball in the Petroleum guy...I keep petroleum jelly soaked/coated cotton balls and Small Fatwood pieces in my tinder bag. Screw a lighter if its wet its done my ol ferro rod in my knife is how I roll even if I have a lighter.

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

Personally,

Im a Cotton ball in the Petroleum guy...I keep petroleum jelly soaked/coated cotton balls and Small Fatwood pieces in my tinder bag. Screw a lighter if its wet its done my ol ferro rod in my knife is how I roll even if I have a lighter.
I do the same thing. Though now I'm curious about using the wax with petroleum jelly and a cotton ball instead of the cotton pad..

Retinens803

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Carolina, USA
First Name
CJC
Last Name
CJC
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4BMJ
So i have always been newspaper and lighter kinda person myself. However I have for the past few years been looking at keeping petroleum jelly (pj) soaked cotton balls in the kit. SO I started testing!

Dip cotton ball in pj and test that worked really good so my mind was like lets try more pj. Dipped the cotton ball in and got more pj on the cotton, tested worked a bit better. My over thinking brain said lets melt the pj to a liquid and submerge the cotton ball that should be excellent. Lesson learned you need dry cotton to catch the spark otherwise that little ball is going to be a pitb to light. Fixed that batch with wrapping the 100% saturated cotton balls with fresh dry cotton balls.

What was learned sometimes just leave good enough alone!

Now I keep half cotton ball half pj in a Ziploc bag in the kit.

I like the idea of keeping fat wood in the kit. I used to keep it in the "go bag" along with char cloth. Not sure whatever happened to all of that.

I am going to make a new batch and try the wax idea as I get my eggs from the neighbor I have no paper cartons.

Ironhide

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Camano Island, WA
First Name
Lenny
Last Name
Motta
Member #

OK guys, we all have our favorite fire starters but you need a way to light those starters. Besides the easy way like butane or fluid lighters, matches, side people use a small torch. I found this video on youtube by the Outdoor Boys channel that demonstrates a bunch of other ways to get a spark going. I know I know there are easier ways to start a fire, but I myself plan to try some of these methods if not just for fun it's a great activity for on the trail and who knows when you might need this someday.
Here's the link:

Reactions: tundraconvert

Ironhide

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Camano Island, WA
First Name
Lenny
Last Name
Motta
Member #

I keep an assortment of things in my fire kit. Dryer lint,steel wool,block of magnesium,birch bark I also keep the usual stuff like water proof matches bic lighter flint and steel
That's the best plan. Always have a backup fire starter method and there are several of them as you can see here. There's more than one way to skin a cat as the old saying goes.

torqd

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Portland, Oregon, USA
First Name
david
Last Name
f.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LUS
I like this...when dry how are you storing them? Im a little concerned about heat in the Jeep.
You can try storing them between pieces of waxed paper which should split / peel apart if they remelt in a warm vehicle.

pnwcruiser

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Swartz
Member #

Steel wool, 9V battery, dryer lint. Keep each in separate ziplock bags. As long as that battery has a charge, you can get spark instantly rubbing it on the steel wool.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

goldfish

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
LaFrenais
Member #

Came here hoping someone would posted the cardboard egg carton + dryer lint move. The only thing I do a bit differently is completely soak the lint and carton with melted wax, that way it’s essentially waterproof. Those things will burn for 5-10 minutes on their own. More than enough time to get a fire started!

I use them in the backyard and on trips - recently I’ve been wondering though, shouldn’t I be practicing fire building without that cheat code??

Big G

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Grants Pass, OR, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Cloud
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MZB
Hi Cort, thanks for sharing your recipe for making cotton ball fire starters. I am very familiar with them. I see you are from Grand Rapids, I assume Michigan. I lived there for nearly 20 years until 2003 when I moved to Grants Pass, Oregon. Hoping to be back there in early May to attend a conference and see my daughter and her family. Take care.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Came here hoping someone would posted the cardboard egg carton + dryer lint move. The only thing I do a bit differently is completely soak the lint and carton with melted wax, that way it’s essentially waterproof. Those things will burn for 5-10 minutes on their own. More than enough time to get a fire started!

I use them in the backyard and on trips - recently I’ve been wondering though, shouldn’t I be practicing fire building without that cheat code??
yes and no... if it’s always on you then no need, if you don’t carry your cheat code in your pocket or in a pack that is always on you, then yes.

AaronB

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Milford, Michigan
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Berendt
Member #

I've been using cotton balls and vaseline for as long as I can remember and this combo has never failed me. That and a bic lighter. I know a lot of people look down on the bic lighter, but in three decades that I've been camping it has never failed me. That being said I do adhere to the old saying "One is none, two is one". I typically have at least 4 stashed away in my gear/truck/pocket/bags etc.

But regardless what I or anyone else says, find what works for you and use that.

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
A lot of great posts in here. Thanks all for contributing. As usual, there are many right ways. As a standard for SAR we carry three different ways to start a fire. 2 is 1 and 1 is none mindset. Fire is pretty important. Keep posting.

jonald

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Corvallis, OR, USA
First Name
Jonald
Last Name
Gradwohl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF7KWY
Waxed cotton disks are great. So are petroleum jelly soaked cotton balls or lint. Either way, they are candles in which the wax or jelly act as the fuel and the cotton or lint act as the wick.

The same thing can be done with jute twine and wax or a scrap of cotton with frayed edges and lip balm. Essentially anything that will act as a wick and any fuel you can apply to it.

Personally, I use the discs, the pj cotton balls. I also carry a stick candle remnant and trick birthday candles (if you have a lit candle, you have a fire - you just need to make it bigger). I use the candle to get a fire going, then extinguish it for reuse later. I live in the rain forest of the PNW, where getting fire going can take some practice and patience.

I always have a ferro rod and a lighter on me. I actually prefer the wheel striker (like what sparks for a Bic lighter) because it can be operated with one (either) hand in the event you are injured.

AaronB

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Milford, Michigan
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Berendt
Member #

Waxed cotton disks are great. So are petroleum jelly soaked cotton balls or lint. Either way, they are candles in which the wax or jelly act as the fuel and the cotton or lint act as the wick.

The same thing can be done with jute twine and wax or a scrap of cotton with frayed edges and lip balm. Essentially anything that will act as a wick and any fuel you can apply to it.

Personally, I use the discs, the pj cotton balls. I also carry a stick candle remnant and trick birthday candles (if you have a lit candle, you have a fire - you just need to make it bigger). I use the candle to get a fire going, then extinguish it for reuse later. I live in the rain forest of the PNW, where getting fire going can take some practice and patience.

I always have a ferro rod and a lighter on me. I actually prefer the wheel striker (like what sparks for a Bic lighter) because it can be operated with one (either) hand in the event you are injured.
I really like the candle idea! I hadn’t thought of that one. I’m gonna have to add some to the kit.