How To: GMRS - ZA FCC LICENSE

• HTML tutorial

MBroenkow

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sonoma County, CA
Member #

There's been lots of talk here about making sure we're all licensed for the radios that we operate, but not a lot of specifics on how to go about that. Since a lot of us are interested in GMRS (our needs are beyond FRS but not to the point of HAM) I wanted to share what I learned while applying for my ZA license:

General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS)
https://www.fcc.gov/general/general-mobile-radio-service-gmrs

Ok, it looks harder than it is, but you need to;
a) sign up with the FCC ULS system
b) then file for a ZA license
c) pay your fee, and in a day or two you'll have your license.

Basically the same thing as above:
https://www.prismli.com/prism-blog/gmrs-radio/36-how-to-get-your-gmrs-license

Getting started:
http://wireless.fcc.gov/uls/index.htm?job=about_getting_started

https://apps.fcc.gov/coresWeb/publicHome.do

Once you have your FRN (why is everything acronyms with these guys?), go back to the home page and select "Online Filing" Log in:
http://wireless.fcc.gov/uls/index.htm?job=home

Then select Apply for New license (top left), select ZA GMRS in the drop down and follow the instructions.

It got a little confusing for me at the payment stage.

There are three different ways to proceed, but "Payer FRN" is what I was told to use. I tried several times to get past this point and I needed to call the FCC Help Line to figure it out. Thankfully, they got to me very quickly and it only took two separate calls to figure out that the FCC site doesn't seem to like the Chrome browser. Firefox ended up working for me .

Beyond this page is where you can specify how to pay. At least this part was totally straight forward and a breeze.

I hope this has been helpful for anyone who's interested in getting their FCC ZA license!

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
Got mine a couple months back, I think I even got the license within the same day! Crazy for a gov't entity..LOL

Reactions: MBroenkow

NoDoze

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

San Francisco, CA
First Name
Rudy
Last Name
G
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N6DOZ
Oh man, thank you so much for posting this. Made it easier to navigate the FCC site and getting things done!

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I just finished installing my 115 and I am using the external antenna that I bought to use with my UV5R and it does not put out as good as the stock antenna that the Midland came with. Maybe, it needs to be tuned like a cb antenna. Has anyone else had issues with their radio not getting out? My wife was on the handheld and I was on the 115 and she came in loud and clear but said that I was garbled some times. Also noticed that I need to hold the mic further away than I do with the CB mic.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
The link and explanation you put forward, did make it much easier to navigate, I have it all in queue, and just have to pay. Registered, assigned number etc. I know these handhelds are sold a dime a dozen, and most people just use them without thought. It is different from HAM where it is assumed you will follow the regulations and get licensed. I think this is because box stores offer them in their sporting goods or electronics departments with out explaining the requirements.

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Some (or possibly all?) of the handhelds sold in the big box stores may just be FRS radios, which share the same frequency channels but do NOT require a license because they only transmit 2W maximum. I always carry extra FRS radios in my rig so that i can hand them out to anybody in the group who may not have a GMRS license yet.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Some (or possibly all?) of the handhelds sold in the big box stores may just be FRS radios, which share the same frequency channels but do NOT require a license because they only transmit 2W maximum. I always carry extra FRS radios in my rig so that i can hand them out to anybody in the group who may not have a GMRS license yet.
Now yes, but that is only a recent change due to the reason Desert Runner mentioned.

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Now yes, but that is only a recent change due to the reason Desert Runner mentioned.
Doh, yeah, oops i read his post too fast. I thought he was wondering why big box stores carried them without mentioning license

noah.wass

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Noah
Last Name
Wass
Member #

Thanks so much for this write up! I was under the impression that GMRS did not require a license to transmit. The fee for the license seems to be a little steep, but I'm glad to be doing the right thing. I'm going to need a GMRS radio now. :-)