Ferndale, WA USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
The past two weeks I have been commuting to one of my facilities for work that is on an island. To get there, I can fly over (my usual) or take a ferry. Since I qas going to be there for a few days, I decided to ferry myself and Red Five over.

Well, when making the reservations, one of the questions is if my vehicle is under 7'2", between 7'2" and 7'6", or over 7'6". That would jave been easy a few years ago when Red Five was stock, but with the roof rack, basket, recovery boards, and shovel... I honestly had no idea.

So, I am wondering how many of you know your vehicle height and if it changes due to configuration, do you know the various different heights?

I know Red Five is 7'2" in daily driver config and 7'8" in overland config. I am considering adding a little sticker or plaque with that info and the weight somewhere in the cockpit, as both might be handy while out adventuring. Does anyone else do this?

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

I need 7 feet 1 inch to clear parking structures. Older parking structures can be as little as 6' - 3" to clear. You need to know your rig clear to the top of any antena, even if they bend and you think no big deal. These can catch a fire sprinkler head, and cause increadible problems and bills/costs that can be sent right to your insurance company, if you snag one and activate it. These all have a fusable link that can be easily broken. Newer parking structures are required to have at least one entry section at 8'-2" for disable van clearance. Not all of the parking structure needs to have this height, so be carefull. I do not know the standard interior heights for a ferry, but I alway point my height out as I drive onto one. Also I always watch parking garage gate arms, these do not always rise to the height you need. I have sheared off several.

Last edited:

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Thanks for bringing this topic up! I don’t know and should! That would not be fun to go into a parking garage and tear off your roof rack and storage boxes and the like! Vance.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
My work truck has a lumber rack on it that makes for challenges with parking structures. I have the height printed and attached on the inside of the ash tray so I can remind myself when the question comes up.

I need to do that for the XJ and the Suburban.

S

SubeeBen

The past two weeks I have been commuting to one of my facilities for work that is on an island. To get there, I can fly over (my usual) or take a ferry. Since I qas going to be there for a few days, I decided to ferry myself and Red Five over.

Well, when making the reservations, one of the questions is if my vehicle is under 7'2", between 7'2" and 7'6", or over 7'6". That would jave been easy a few years ago when Red Five was stock, but with the roof rack, basket, recovery boards, and shovel... I honestly had no idea.

So, I am wondering how many of you know your vehicle height and if it changes due to configuration, do you know the various different heights?

I know Red Five is 7'2" in daily driver config and 7'8" in overland config. I am considering adding a little sticker or plaque with that info and the weight somewhere in the cockpit, as both might be handy while out adventuring. Does anyone else do this?
No but now that you brought that up it sounds like a great idea. Good thought into this situation . Interested into what your going to do & I will be looking into this as well for my rig. Probably would have saved my cb antenna few years ago when the wife drove my Jeep into a parking structure with a 4’ fire stick on top of the roof rack with a 4” lift & 35’s on my TJ. Just saying :)

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

62 Series LandCruiser in stock daily-driver with 31" 10.50" 15" and Expedition basket in 7 Foot even... Loaded to GO, with 33's in 16's, basket full add's 8" -
Planning a minor lift to run 33" year-round, I'll have to take the basket off to park it in the Garage. We are having to make lots of life changes - I may, have to raise the Garage. We bought a stand-alone Storage Shed, to hold spare 3FE engine, and all of the Camping Equipment. SO, I can dismantle the storage closet in front of the Tacoma. Have measured the Tacoma's height, but will need to, because it too will have a minor lift, and 33" - Winch Bumper, and Rear Tire carrier...