How much water per person (or planning to stay hydrated)

• HTML tutorial

El Gigante Jake

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Cleveland, OH
First Name
Jake
Last Name
H
Member #

So I know some people like to carry lots of water, others just plan on boiling/purifying a lot.

Being mostly in the midwest (KY, WV, OH, IN, MI), there is usually water to be found. But most of it probably is a breeding ground for mosquitos and other other bugs. Having had 2 hospital visits due to water born parasites in Peru, I want 2 to 3 gallons per person of known fresh water with me. I carry 2 6 gallon water jerries plus bottled water along with water purification methods (straw, tablets, etc).

Growing up in Idaho, we rarely ever carried more then a gallon per person max, because we could usually find a fresh water source that we trusted. Times have changed...

What is your minimum water per person on hand? - taking into account where you are off grid at of course.

Rubyredfozzy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Fort Mitchell, AL, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Welch
Member #

it really depends on the amount of activity you will be doing. don't let cold weather trick you into thinking you'll need less water than in the summer months. I have seen more people go dehydrated in the winter than anything. study show a woman will consume about 2.7 liters per day and a male 3.7 per day. plan according to the amount of days expected to be without a water source and then add two days. if stranded water will quickly become your number one priority next to shelter.

Jube

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

NW Arkansas
Member #

Rule of thumb is 3 gallons per person/day. That's inclusive of drinking, hygiene and cooking/clean up. I use a Sawyer filter rigged up in a gravity flow configuration overnight to restock water used the day before if I can. Depending on your water source that you are filtering, I use Propel packets(Gatorade product) to improve the taste of filtered water for drinking. Propel does contain electrolytes.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Many years ago I carried much more than I do now, I plan on about 2 gallons per day and usually bring back some or dump it on the way back to get rid of the weight.