Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
Greetings Programs,
I am a proud new owner of a Smitty Overlander XL / annex. While I’ve only had it out twice so far, I have sort of come to the realization that if I get into camp at or after dinner time, I don’t feel like setting up the annex. Granted I have not had the set up long enough to have a valid opinion, but with only the Mrs. and I using it, so far I have not taken the dog but he has a kennel and would not be in the tent up top, I’ve not been inclined to set up the tent, kitchen, fire-pit, potty-tent then go back and wrestle with the annex.

Am I missing out on something? What are your experiences? The first time we used it was an overnighter just to test it, the second was a 4-day trip to fish and visit my Son.

maybe a longer trip with the dog, more people, etc. will merit the full set up? I know it comes down to personal preference, but even watching a bunch of YouTube vids, there seems to be way more folks NOT using annexes than those that do.

thanks for your thoughts...

DIYTaco15

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Stewart
Member #

I bought the smaller smittybuilt annex and have used it multiple times. First was in nevada for a 5 day training that I camped at, used it as a living room/ changing room to get out of the sun. We just used it again this past weekend for 3 nights, so my prego wife wouldn’t have to climb up to the tent. I live having it.

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

I have the SB tent not the XL but the wife and I do want to get the XL tent so the annex encloses the ladder so we have a space to change before going into the tent. If we ever come into camp late I would setup the tent and the annex since its not that hard once you do it a few times.

ProtonDecay

Rank V

Influencer II

In my mind I am always at a remote high-elevation lake surrounded by snowcapped peaks.
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Riehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6NUI
We have a 23Zero Walkabout with Annex/Vestibule and have rarely used the annex so far (10 or so outings since early April), but the weather has been good. Actually, we used it the first time just to try it out, and haven't used it since. It takes up quite a bit of space when folded, and we find our needs better met for privacy with one of these pop-ups. Maybe if the weather were inclement or really cold we would use it more. Good luck whatever you choose :-)

eroyar23

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Pottstown, Pennsylvania 19465, United States
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Royar
Member #

I have one for my stuff stuff alpha and its great once its set up. If you are staying put for more then a day id keep using it but we like to move so im getting a coleman pop up tent for the dog and one of the kids that should be an easier set up and a place to keep the cloths and change

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
I have not once used the annex on my ARB RTT outside of setting it up in my driveway several years ago. The bag for the annex is bigger than an old sleeping bag and would take up precious cargo room in my vehicle and it is a pain to set up.

er waddell

Rank VI
Investor

Influencer I

Bay Colony Street, Las Vegas, Nevada 89131, United States
First Name
Earl
Last Name
Waddell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7GYU
Service Branch
United States Army
We have used ours a few times. When it's chilly I set up the buddy heater in the annex. We have sat inside away from the wind.

The potty was set up in there a few times as well. Before the addition of the ensuite. (Which is still broken. I would not recommend drifta for support or quickpitch products next time.)

Changing clothing if you are camping with others is easier as well.

If it is a single night we usually don't it up.

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Huelsman
We use the annex for our rtt every trip out. Im not putting (2) 75lb dogs in the bed. They dont sleep in the bed at home and they’re not going to start when camping.

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
Thanks guys, so far it sounds like most folks here trend like the you tubers, some do but most don’t. I’m not giving up on it yet for sure, but length of stay also seems to factor in on whether or not to set it up.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
The only times we use our annex is when staying for multiple nights, when the tent heater is needed, or when camping at a campground. If it were just me I wouldn’t use it, but my lovely wife is modest and likes the privacy that the annex provides while she disrobes and gets into her jammies. Since we rarely stay at campgrounds or camp in the winter cold, the annex stays in the trailer. 952B04E8-4E08-4A32-978E-C7880A7EEE3F.jpegB6F4D17E-4CD4-461B-B4B3-05DB206EEB51.jpeg

Reactions: BCMoto

Joedirt96

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Lake Villa, Lake County, Illinois, United States
First Name
Letyce
Last Name
Moore
Member #

We thought about getting one but waiting for it it to go on sale. I would have to modify it though and add extra material for it to reach the ground. Our van is too high. I realize though it’s super easy with our tuff stuff brand. Maybe I’ll get around to it next year.

dboy

Rank III

Traveler III

Oregon
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Jaquith
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF7LDA
We use ours every time.

With a 13 and 14 year old, one of which is 6'1", They need a full size cot to sleep. Me and the wife get our own upstairs room, Kids get the downstairs. Works perfectly. Takes a little longer to setup and packing the bag is a pain but its the only way all 4 of us can sleep comfortably.

Reactions: BCMoto

mmp

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lugoff, SC, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Powell
Member #

We always use our annex with the RTT. Our dogs sleep in the annex and we keep our clothes bag down there. We've gotten pretty quick to set it up and take it down.

Roam Bearded

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Ogden, Utah 84403, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Cramer
Member #

We're pretty similar to other posters here. We use ours on longer stays, inclement weather or public grounds (that's rare). We're in a fire ban now so we've used it as a screen tent to escape the bugs a couple times. Ours is the iKamper, it doesn't have a floor and doesn't take up a lot of space or weight to haul. After a few setups it is pretty easy now to get setup and we don't feel like it's much of a hassle.

DSC01967.jpg