Rank VI

Influencer I

Dripping Springs, Texas, United States
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Kprotected
Member #

In countries like Australia, where GVWR limits are strictly enforced, there are options for reinforcing the vehicle and having it reclassified with a higher GVWR. The U.S. doesn't have that level of enforcement, and therefore there is no demand for formal recertification. We could independently take every action that would occur in Australia, and be stuck with the same GVWR, the same lectures, and potentially the same insurance ramifications as if we had taken no action to build stronger.
yep. and the legal ramifications if there's an accident.

But here's a question: Would you be willing to accept Australia-like GVWR enforcement in exchange to gain a path to upgrade a vehicle's GVWR?

Last edited:

Old Tanker

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

Norfolk, VA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Reimer
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
yep. and the legal ramifications if there's an accident.

But here's a question: Would you be willing to accept Australia-like GVWR enforcement in exchange to gain a path to upgrade a vehicle's GVWR?
Would I? Yes, but I'm not the usual SUV driver. I almost didn't survive having my previous car get rear-ended by an SUV.

rx8 Final.jpg

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

Weight is enemy number of one of any performance, starting with handling on and off road, up to safety, fuel economy, etc.
There is a lot of talk about legally upgrading GVWR. yes, some countries allow it but even there there are some limits, meaning you can't just add some springs and double the payload.
I know it is expensive, I sold one vehicle because of it, it was my first and I did not had a lot of experience. So used it for one trip and after I realized than when choosing a vehicle is not only an issue of space but GVWR as well . Sold it and got something more appropriate.
Since than I am going at great lengths to keep things light and avoid to have heavy things on top as well. This improved my off road capability a lot, I actually do better than upgraded vehicles ( raised suspension, bigger tires, maybe some custom bumbers that improve attack angles ) that are heavier, while am stock but lighter.

Reactions: LostInThought

Clay B

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

McCall, ID, USA
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Bradfield
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7TTA
Service Branch
US Army
Would I want more regulation of vehicles? No. While, I'm certainly glad you survived that accident, there's no way in the world to protect us all completely from idiots. All things are trade-offs. A more substantial vehicle = greater fuel usage, etc. To the original question - wow, you need a different vehicle or live a simpler life in the field. My last trip I was overloaded at 5980 - 280# over the stock GVWR. Wrong, but not too bad - it has a significantly upgraded suspension.

donmontalvo

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Plano, TX
First Name
Don
Last Name
Montalvo
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC3UNA
Service Branch
US Army Veteran
How heavy are your jeeps loaded down?
GVWR matters, especially when the safety of your family relies on your decisions. :)

Reactions: LostInThought

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I may be wrong but the same exact vehicle will have a higher gvrw and towing # rating outside the US so that leads me to believe vehicles can handle more weight than the US says they can .

eriefisher

Rank III

Advocate I

Southern Ontario, Canada
First Name
Dan
Last Name
LaForme
GVWR is determined by more than just weight. Breaking surface is a big one. Wheel base another. Just cuz you have a couple extra springs to take the weight doesn't mean you can safely stop in a reasonable distance. If you need to carry that kind of weight regularly then you need more vehicle. Not to mention the extra weight weight takes it's toll on the whole platform. Not just the suspension.