How has the Covid-19 virus affected your adventures?

• HTML tutorial

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
we , have to cancel ( postpone ? ) 2 weeks escape from chicago ; Sedona , Las Vegas , Page , Moab :pensive:
It will still be there when this thing passes Adam. Right now is time for working together and avoid spreading this unwanted thing. The bug cant live if there is no one to pass it too.

Reactions: samuraj

Deserttramp

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Florence, AZ
First Name
jason
Last Name
angell
Member #

hasnt really effect me, other than trying to score TP at the local stores.
still working a full week, just have to get screened before going in to work.
going turkey scouting this coming weekend. so in away im practicing my physical distancing.
and starting a little remodeling on place and maybe start working on the bronco for the hell of it.
so life goes on in a little desert town.
you all play nice and stay safe out there
laters

Mountain Spirit Overland

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Dubai United Arab Emirates
First Name
Simon
Last Name
Alderson
Member #

Over here in the UAE, everything is on hold - shops and malls are all closed except for food and pharmacies. Most people are working from home or on downtime.Schools and colleges are closed. Each night, there is a curfew between 8.00pm and 6.00am whilst street sanitisation goes on. Basically they are using tankers and drones to spray disinfectant on the roads, signs, doors and buildings that could be touched.
The desert and the wadis are out there and would love to be able to access them before the heat of Summer arrives, but now is the time to stay home and work on the rig, carrying out the jobs that have been put off. Hopefully by the Summer, we should be in a better place to explore other cooler parts of the world,virus free!

WAYAWAY

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
P
Member #

I wish this forum had a formal Soapbox subforum under Off-Topic in which political rants and strong personal views could be held. Far too many otherwise civil threads have personal political beliefs interjected that have nothing to do with the intention of the thread, often derailing the thread entirely as it devolves into divisive puffing and pounding of chests.

A lot of us come here to get AWAY from the political madness of mainstream media, manipulative websites, and individuals pushing personal agendas, not be thrust back into it.

A separate Soapbox area, like many forums have, in fact most I know of, would let those who want to yell at each other with claims about whatever they firmly believe in, or pat each other on the back for being similarly opinionated, would let other threads, and most members, continue in the discussion intended.

I'm a contributing member of several forums online. The one that has the most civil conversations in which all parties deal with each other with respect, and an acknowledgment that others have a right to their point of view without being shouted down or ridiculed, simply does not allow political talk.

It's become obvious over and over here that self-policing does not always work well (shouldn't have to happen to the degree it already does) and that a lot of members don't partake in forum discussions because a minority of members all too often lead the thread down the path of being political and divisive.

You want to be overtly pro-Trump or bash Trump or be pro gun or anti-gun or be overtly "left" or "right" or "liberal" or "conservative" start your own thread under Off-Topic, not General Discussion, and put "SOAPBOX" or "POLITICAL" in the thread title so the members who could not care less about your political leanings don't have to listen to it.
1,000% agree.

Reactions: Road

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I cancelled my reservations for May in Moab.

I don't see things improving any between now and then. This thing clearly has yet to peak, and it will be awhile after the peak before things open back up.

peeeeetey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

Harrisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Pete
Last Name
Meuser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WREL270
Since we sleep together (less than 6 ft apart) My wife and I are considering camping ant a National forest at a remote site just the two of us. We are still free to go to the gas station and grocery store.

samuraj

Rank III

Enthusiast III

chicago
First Name
adam
Last Name
adam
Member #

It will still be there when this thing passes Adam. Right now is time for working together and avoid spreading this unwanted thing. The bug cant live if there is no one to pass it too.
thanx , just by thinking what we can loose ...... I promise to explore every corner of this country , when this think is over ! let's say .... about .. july ? august ? :tonguewink:

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Stricter state-wide Stay At Home and Shelter In Place orders are occurring all over the US tonight, most for the next 30 days, some until 3rd May, after the president and vice-president had a call with all governors. This is evidently to work in concert with the new 30 day order from the federal govt.

Most of the new orders I've read are a bit stricter than those already in place, especially in states harder hit by the virus crisis.

I would seriously reconsider any plans to go to a US national forest, state park, or BLM land.

Those that keep ignoring the order or making excuses like "we can say we're just going for groceries" etc, are contributing to the spread of the virus and problems in small communities.

Staying home for the duration means the duration won't have to be keep being extended as much.

Stay safe, stay clean, stay positive!

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo

Stricter state-wide Stay At Home and Shelter In Place orders are occurring all over the US tonight, most for the next 30 days, some until 3rd May, after the president and vice-president had a call with all governors. This is evidently to work in concert with the new 30 day order from the federal govt.

Most of the new orders I've read are a bit stricter than those already in place, especially in states harder hit by the virus crisis.

I would seriously reconsider any plans to go to a US national forest, state park, or BLM land.

Those that keep ignoring the order or making excuses like "we can say we're just going for groceries" etc, are contributing to the spread of the virus and problems in small communities.

Staying home for the duration means the duration won't have to be keep being extended as much.

I can already see the headlines for mid-May: Deaths from Constipation up 4,000%

AP--Americans are now dying from constipation as restrictions have tightened over the past weeks. Many unable to go to the bathroom anymore. Relatives are wrapping their deceased loved ones in their surplus TP.

Smith_AVDN_FAM

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Charlotte
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Since we sleep together (less than 6 ft apart) My wife and I are considering camping ant a National forest at a remote site just the two of us. We are still free to go to the gas station and grocery store.

I'm in Harrisburg area and thinking the same. I was hoping to privative camp up in Linville if we are still able.

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
Arkansas governor closed state parks to overnight camping ... I know it's for the best, but at this rate, all my plans for this year will be for naught.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Arkansas governor closed state parks to overnight camping ... I know it's for the best, but at this rate, all my plans for this year will be for naught.
It is for the best, you bet.

I've had to cancel and postpone plans for a big art mural I was to paint in west Texas and a mess of night sky photography workshops for small groups and individual clients out that way, too, up into NM. Not work I can do 'from home,' that's for sure. This is going to hurt, financially, in huge and long-lasting ways from which many of us may not be able to recover, or continue with life the way we'd like.

I could see early on in this virus crisis it did not make sense for me to head out, then have the same type of beginning restrictions on movement and being around others take place in the US that were starting to happen in other countries. It was coming and it was coming fast.

Much as I'd rather be out already on my next eight-ten month cross-country adventure and solo-camping way backcountry, it makes far better sense to stay put and look for other ways to stay busy, creative, and positive.

Who wants to buy a print? :blush:

roaddude_nightsky-altudapicnic-7731-6x9.jpg