How has the Covid-19 virus affected your adventures?

• HTML tutorial

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
With social distancing and the stresses it brings, how have you noticed trail density and your adventure quality be affected, and have you had to cancel any adventures because of it?
Absolutely ! It can be done of course, if you have everything you need including gas and stay away from any human contact. Keep it local, most states have plenty of open camp sites and rural back roads to visit.

Reactions: TJFrye and Baipin

BradButlerCO

Rank 0

Contributor I

Castle Pines, CO, USA
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Butler
Yep, Grand County, UT will no longer accept outside visitors (even for dispersed camping) for 30 days, ruined my Spring Break trip!

Going to try a local day run this weekend, but will see what else the experts restrict.
Real shame, I personally don't think it get's more social distancing than camping! Hopefully that weekend trip goes well

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

All borders inside EU closed so I am stuck in Germany, where wild camping and off-roading is completely forbidden and it is too cold until mid May anyway.
Normally I had a planned trip to Morocco for the first week of April, that went down the drain fast..Morocco closed its borders a week ago.

Gravel Seeker

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Moss, Norway
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Rebnord
Member #

In lock down mode here in the Canary Islands. Could be worse I suppose.
My plans for the rest of the year quickly became irrelevant as I don't think Europe will be back to "normal" until fall at the earliest, so my semi planned trip to Iceland in July is on hold. And I don't know if I really want to venture out through the hordes of "walking dead" to get down to Portugal for fall either, even if we're back to something resembling normal.

That leaves local travel in Norway. Luckily that could be worse too, even if offroading is illegal there, wild camping is however a human right and you can easily spend all summer travelling around Norway from fjord to mountain and from the warm south to the arctic north. If the Norway/ Sweden border is opened I might see if the TET is navigable by 4x4 and not just adv bikes. Worst case I'll just overland on my bike.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I had plans for another multi-month backcountry adventure from the Maine coast to the borderlands and beyond, with clients for workshops and mural projects and have cancelled/postponed it all.

STAY HOME, folks, do not be part of the problem.

What's happening with the number of folks who think "camping is the perfect social distancing" is that many, most, of the communities you go through and get fuel, stop for snacks, visit landmarks (no matter how remote) are anxious and worried about you bringing the novel coronavirus to them. They are worried about being exposed when they otherwise might not be.

Even though we may be fully self-sufficient and not interact with anyone, communities are worried, and rightly so. They will perceive us as being part of why their shelves are empty and their neighbors are sick.

Folks have not been practicing social distancing enough, for long enough, so more and more communities and cities and entire states are issuing Stay At Home orders. As they should.

*** The whole idea here, guys, is to SLOW DOWN the spread, so it DOES NOT spike as high and overrun the health care system. The slower the spread, the more time we have to find a vaccine and meds for treatment and can test more.

*** It's the people who think they know better, who go on camping adventures anyway, that will help make the numbers spike.

EVEN THOUGH YOU MAY NOT HAVE ANY SYMPTOMS, YOU CAN CARRY AND SPREAD COVID-19.

Listen to what's happened in other parts of the world. To those who did not listen and thought they would not get it. Look at the freaking numbers.

DON'T BE PART OF THE PROBLEM. BE PART OF THE SOLUTION.

To do otherwise is inconsiderate, rude, and harmful. It is irresponsible.

Stay safe, stay clean, stay positive!

Last edited:

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Yep, Grand County, UT will no longer accept outside visitors (even for dispersed camping) for 30 days, ruined my Spring Break trip!

Going to try a local day run this weekend, but will see what else the experts restrict.
Latest news release from BLM is their land is open to camp! Curious how Utah can close Federal Land??

Gravel Seeker

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Moss, Norway
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Rebnord
Member #

I had plans for another multi-month backcountry adventure from the Maine coast to the borderlands and beyond, with clients for workshops and mural projects and have cancelled/postponed it all.

What's happening with the number of folks who think "camping is the perfect social distancing" is that many, most, of the communities you go through and get fuel, stop for snacks, visit landmarks (no matter how remote) are anxious and worried about you bringing the novel coronavirus to them. They are worried about being exposed when they otherwise might not be.

Even though we may be fully self-sufficient and not interact with anyone, communities are worried, and rightly so. They will perceive us as being part of why their shelves are empty and their neighbors are sick.

Folks have not been practicing social distancing enough, for long enough, so more and more communities and cities and entire states are issuing Stay At Home orders. As they should.

*** The whole idea here, guys, is to SLOW DOWN the spread, so it DOES NOT spike as high and overrun the health care system. The slower the spread, the more time we have to find a vaccine and meds for treatment and can test more.

*** It's the people who think they know better, who go on camping adventures anyway, that will help make the numbers spike.

Listen to what's happened in other parts of the world. To those who did not listen and thought they would not get it. Look at the freaking numbers.

Adhere to national and local rules of course.
I still think there will be a limit on how long the world is in lock down mode and expect to be able to live relatively normal in a few months after the initial spike has past. We're all gonna catch the virus at some point, but like you point out it's the immidiate future that is important now.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Not to beat the drum, but some folks seem to think they're invincible.

A very real and potential scenario that can, AND HAS, happened: You might feel fine and go on your adventure. Think you're completely self-contained and will not have to interact with anyone on the way there and can practice social-distancing just fine out in the willow-wacks somewhere. You WILL be in close contact with those you go with and inevitably with some number of others you do not know.

What will you do when someone in your family or party starts getting feverish and you're 300 miles from home or 20 miles from pavement? Some that start getting sick will have to seek local treatment. All who have come into contact with that person should be quarantined at best.

I have two personal friends I care for a lot, both in their thirties who have fallen sick WAY faster than they thought possible. One in Colorado and one in Texas. Both after having been out around others just five days earlier because they thought, at their age, they were not at risk. One had to go to the hospital because she had trouble breathing and had a fever. She was told she likely has Covid-19 though could not be tested because they needed the tests for folks who are worse off. The other is sick at home with her parents, one of whom is now also sick.

There's a local doctor who has moved into the guest room above his garage so he doesn't compromise the safety and health of his family, because the local health system where he works is already seeing a spike in folks complaining of symptoms.

This was posted on a local group parent's thread in California:

staythefuckhome.jpeg

You know what? It doesn't matter if you believe it or not, or think the rest of the world has gone mad but you haven't.

Don't be part of making things worse for others, for your family, or for yourself.

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE

I cant agree more.

Reactions: HIALT2D and Road

Louiston

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
N/A
Yesterday evening I returned home from a 5 day trip into Death Valley. They closed down the campgrounds on Wednesday but amazingly the bar and restaurant was open for FULL service at Furnace Creek the same day.

It didn't effect me as I don't use camp grounds unless I am forced to do so.

The storm that blew through Monday night brought VERY HIGH winds that proved to be "unfortunate" for many campers using ................ lets say "lesser quality" gear.

Fun trip! :smiley:

IMG_0235.JPG

IMG_0262.jpg

Last edited:

Relic6.3

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

North Carolina, USA
First Name
Pat
Last Name
Crowell
Member #

Had to cancel the meet-up/Rally Point had scheduled for March 28th; venue I was looking to meet at postponed their event to August. Still waiting to hear if Expo West is going to happen; then even if it is still on not sure if I would be able to make the trip from NC with other states shutting down left and right.

SquishBang

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
JuicyJ
Last Name
Wiggler
I thought there was the occasional sentiment to not parse incomplete data or stories?

Is this story factually incorrect?:

As far as I am concerned I am going to drive around all of these issues.

You think people in outlying communities are worried when travelers come through? Many of us don't hit the road unless we are totally prepared. It's harmless to stop at a gas station and fill up your rig using a debit card and move on. If you want to practice "social distancing" just don't go into the store.

You can't expect everyone to react to this situation the same, we all process the data differently. I'm hearing some pretty wild doomsday stuff being said.

Yes, my trip has been seriously altered. Last June, I took a 1 year sabbatical from work so I could embark on some "unfinished business". Unfortunately, on week 1 of my sabbatical I was diagnosed with cancer while I was living in China. I had to come home to have surgery and recover, which consumed 3 months of my sabbatical. Fortunately, I went through all of that prior to the Wuhan Chinese Coronavirus problem. I feel really bad for people who are diagnosed during these scary times. Treatment/procedures are going to be far more stressful now.
Then, to recover my sabbatical I planned to go on WABDR and AZBDR (that was the motivation to join this site), go through Sierras and Yellowstone and also peel off for some amusement park and ghost town action along the way. And I planned to go visit my family's cemetary site and pay my respects. Now that's all a mess and I am scheduled to go back to work in a few short months.

So, I say "eff" it. I am going to modify my plans to stay away from any rules or closures, I will find other stuff to get out and do. To be sure, I WILL respect other people's fears, I will be prepared enough to not need to interact with anyone who'd rather not. Seems to me there are plenty of people being reasonable about all of this, but I am NOT going to hunker down.
So far, all directives include allowances for "essential business or activities" so who is going to enforce that? LEO going to pull over everyone they see and question them? You think LEO wants to interact with people if they don't have to? If you drive out to an off-road area or open lands, who is going to stop you?

JCarter

Rank V
Investor

Member III

Firestone, Weld County, Colorado, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Carter
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0LRZ
Latest news release from BLM is their land is open to camp! Curious how Utah can close Federal Land??
I have that same question, but I don't know what extra power the state gets when declaring an emergency. One thing I am certain of however is I don't have the fuel range to skip refueling in town after exploring.

JCarter

Rank V
Investor

Member III

Firestone, Weld County, Colorado, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Carter
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0LRZ
Yesterday evening I returned home from a 5 day trip into Death Valley. They closed down the campgrounds on Wednesday but amazingly the bar and restaurant was open for FULL service at Furnace Creek the same day.

It didn't effect me as I don't use camp grounds unless I am forced to do so.

The storm that blew through Monday night brought VERY HIGH winds that proved to be "unfortunate" for many campers using ................ lets say "lesser quality" gear.

Fun trip! :smiley:

View attachment 145370

View attachment 145371
Are those coke ovens in your 2nd picture?