• HTML tutorial

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
1. What is your favorite kind of run? Do you prefer day runs, weekend camps, road trips, or long hauls?

2. Do you travel light or heavy? How often do you use what you bring (gear, supplies, entertainment, etc.)?

3. Do you go solo, carpool, or take multiple vehicles?

4. Do you go slow and easy or let 'er rip?

5. What are your favorite, and least favorite, types of terrain?

6. Do you have separate tow/base camp rig and wheeling rig, or have all the fun with one rig?

7. What are your favorite, and least favorite, parts of overlanding/wheeling?

8. What is your favorite road sign, and where was it?

9. Name a missed opportunity you regret.

And my answers...

1. Day runs and road trips, any thing that can be done in a day or two.

2. Light. Very light. Hardly touch most of it, but regularly use some of it.

3. Usually solo, some times carpool.

4. On road, slow and easy. Off road, let 'er rip!

5. Favorite: dirt and grass. Least favorite: mud.

6. Separate, only tow on long trips.

7. Favorite: experiencing the physical world. Least favorite: camping.

8. Sign reading "Do Not Stop For ANY Reason!" located on Corolla Beach, a stretch of NC Highway 12.

9. I did not get a clear picture of that sign, because I did not stop for any reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: Speric

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

1. I really enjoy weekend Wheeling trips with a secluded camp spot on a trail where nobody else in around other than maybe a couple friends. This is usually a weekend or long weekend, but I sometimes stretch it out to a longer run and visit different trails and friends in different areas over a week or 2.

2. This depends if I am solo or have my wife and kid. If I am solo I have no problem fitting enough gear in my TJ to last a month lol. As soon as my wife is on board with a trip I need trailer.

3. I would say most of my trips are solo, but I meet up with friends at camp.

4. Most of my trips are geared more towards off reading. I usually have about a 3 hour drive to get from home to pretty much any trails so I usually have my foot down to get there. But once I get to the trailhead I usually slow it down.

5. My favorite terrain would be technical trails. I like rocky climbs while I pick my way through the forest. Least favorite is mud... I hate mud.

6. I have 2 rigs but they are both all in one. I have a compass with a lift that I hit lighter trails with and it is my family hauler/daily driver. It is the vehicle of choice to pull the trailer full of gear my wife needs.
The other vehicle is a my TJ which is a more heavily built trail rig on 37s with lockers, gears, and a cage. That's is usually my go to to meet up with friends for a weekend of Wheeling in the woods.

7. Favorite part of overlanding/Wheeling would be getting out and seeing spots that most people wouldn't. Also meeting people along the way and the comradery that comes with the Wheeling community.

8. There is a sign not far from my old house on a back road intersection that says " middle of nowhere".

9. I regret not buying the 53 willys wagon that came up for sale near me a Loooooooong time ago. It was a hack job build that someone couldn't finish on their own and was sitting on 33s with a 350 under the hood. I think that thing could have been a lot of fun lol.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

1. I mostly do 3 to 14 day trips, usually every month or so. Last year I went 3 months without a off-road trip. I travel to Baja and the passport was being renewed. I am planning to drive the Pan American after my commitments have ended.

2. Weight wise depends on where and what I am doing. Some trips are road trip and are light, some trips are Surf and Kayak trip and are heavy with a killer basecamp.

3. Mostly solo, never more than 2 rigs and 4 bodies.

4. Because I am solo and mostly Baja, I tend to use caution off road, getting there the skinny paddle is being used hard.

5. I love the desert and mountain driving. I am not much of a fan of mud. Living in the west works for me.

6. I have a BAT (big ass truck) everything goes in or on top. I do have a self supported 15 x 15 awning and full basecamp.

7. I love exploring and experiencing new places, I am a bit of a history buff so I will often work in historic places into the trip. Traveling with for or more rigs is a slow death for me.

8. On the road to Punta Canoas there is a Pacific Coast Highway and Ocean Rd sign. it is miles from anything.

9. A major regret is not diving with whale sharks sooner.

Reactions: rgallant

TCorona

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Corona
Member #

1. Mostly road trips and camping trips... I do some day trips when going up into the Sierras to checkout the snow, or to the beach escaping the heat.

2. Day trips very light, road trips and camping trips probably too heavy

3. Mostly solo, hardly never with others and/or groups

4. Always slow and easy, no reason and/or need to hurry, less stress on the vehicle and equipment

5. Back roads, country roads, forest service/ BLM roads,... least favorite are major highways, rock gardens

6. Road trips mostly tow a travel trailer that is used as a base camp, camping trips are tent camping and/or trailer, tow vehicle used for exploring

7. Favorite parts of doing this is mostly getting out into nature, exploring new/different areas, loving the outdoors

8. Best sign lately has to be " Great White Shark sightings... enter water at own risk" :hushed:

9. Many times and occasions... regret just going, just getting out and going. Is the truck ready for the trip, do I have what I need, family circumstances interfering, etc.

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

1. My favorites are extended trips of one or more months, in order to explore both the landscape, fauna and culture of the area. It allows me to ‘settle into’ the nomad lifestyle more than short hauls.
2. For hard gear (chairs, cooking, solar, etc.), I travel fairly light. Taking longer trips means bringing items such as laundry detergent, more food/toiletries and a wider range of clothing items that aren’t needed for a weekend run, so I stick to a minimalist mentality. It’s so much easier to set up/break down camp and there’s less gear to wrangle. I rarely hang around camp, so what’s the point?
3. Primarily solo. I admit that I like only being responsible for myself and the ability to alter plans without worrying about upsetting anyone else. I sometimes have friends meet me at parks/cool spots to hang out for a few days to a week, but you know the old adage comparing company to dead fish!
4. I’m definitely a slowpoke when driving; I enjoy taking side roads to see where they lead. A bit faster on foot, but always make time to venture off trail to find a private alpine lake.
5. I prefer easy, scenic driving trails; difficult/technical stuff is above my ability. I’m a hiker, so the majority of my travel is on foot in places vehicles can’t reach. High and lonesome is the best! I’m far more adventurous that way…
6. I typically travel with my 4Runner and teardrop trailer. I base camp for 1-2 weeks in each location. I’m really enjoying a comfortable bed after so many years in a solo backpacking tent.
7. Least favorite is crossing the country to reach the western mountains. It’s tedious driving of 500+ miles per day. I only stop to sleep, gas the truck and eat. Second worst is unloading and cleaning equipment upon returning home. Ugh!
8. I get a kick out of the cattle crossing signs in different states. Utah has this sedate looking cow, while Nevada has a dancing bull that looks like Ferdinand from the children’s book. It makes me smile every time.
8. Regret? Not doing this sooner!

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
  1. All listed - 2 to 4 days are the best but I enjoy all of them
  2. I only carry what I need a Kindle, a couple of actual books a MS Surface pro to dump photos to, rod and reel. With a LR Discovery II carry a few extras is easy it has a large cargo area.
  3. Solo or group - depends on how I feel.
  4. Slow I tend go down any interesting road, stop to fish or take photos. For me it is about the journey not the destination.
  5. Anything but mud or peat bogs is fine.
  6. Just me and the Disco, no trailers or separate rig.
  7. Unexpected gates/road closures in the mile of nowhere
  8. Pavilion Clinton highway sign - tiny little FSR with hairpins it was hilarious and official
  9. Tuk the start of covid end that plan

Reactions: MMc and DintDobbs

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
1. All of them. Sweet spot is about 2-4 days. Longer is fun too but I do tend to miss my bed and such.

2. Always a work in progress to bring less, but not be without.

3. Mostly solo but I do like a small group too.

4. Both. Sometimes I like taking in the scenery, other times I'm looking forward to getting to camp.

5. Favorite would be scenic swooping trails. Least favorite, probably rock crawling for a long time.

6. All in one rig. I just got a pop-up camper for my truck.

7. Favorite is getting out and seeing new places. Least favorite is cleaning up when I get home.

8. I might have to get back to this one.

9. Not sure I have one.

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
1. Multi-year multi-country run. We have only done one 7 year trip but we think next time we'd break it up into a couple 2-3 year runs.

2. Heavy. We have to carry almost every single thing we need and when we find a place we love we like to stay for as long as possible.

3. 90-95% was just the two of us. We did hook-up with others to run technical sections or if anyone's rig was having an issue.

4. Slow, very slow to the point of being called slowverlanders. We prefer back roads over multi-lane highways and we dodge big cities unless we must visit one for a particular reason.

5. We absolutely hate mud. We also have a love/hate relationship with sand. Beaches are great but driving around in a soft desert is not our thing. Mountains are probably our favorite, being a jungle or a rain forest makes them even better. Parts of Central America where you can have breakfast at over 6,000ft then a late lunch at a beach is pretty perfect (not even mentioning the monkeys etc).

6. One self-contained rig.

7. Experiencing other cultures and making new friends in the places we have visited is easily the greatest part, multi-day breakdowns are the worst.

8. "Betta No Litta" all over Belize.

9. Not flying over to Kodiak Island. It was the beginning of our trip and we were still shy about big ticket excursions.

ravend3

Rank I

Enthusiast I

United Kingdom
First Name
Zack
Last Name
Grippo
Service Branch
USAF
1. What is your favorite kind of run? Do you prefer day runs, weekend camps, road trips, or long hauls?
Weekend camps as of right now. Eventually I would like to do a road trip style adventure.

2. Do you travel light or heavy? How often do you use what you bring (gear, supplies, entertainment, etc.)?
Does moderate count lol. I tend to use everything that I bring in some form if possible.

Multiple vehicles.

Depends on the situation and location.

As of now I dislike mud. I'm lazy and just don't want to clean it off my rig lol.

6. Do you have separate tow/base camp rig and wheeling rig, or have all the fun with one rig?
My KJ is my daily and overland rig. The wife's Kia is for other types of travel that require more fuel economy.

Favorite part is bonding with friends and family. Least favorite is not being able to go out as much as I would like.

Haven't found a favorite yet.

When I did my Wales trip I regret having to leave earlier than the rest of my crew. My vehicle just wasn't were it needed to be to be able to continue doing the trails out there.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

My favourite is to do 5 day or more expeditions to ghost towns or other remote places, such as my 2018 Kitsault expedition, or the Northern Wanderings trip of 2021. Unfortunately I rarely have time to get on those, so I'm happy with whatever I can get.

Relatively light, because I started outdoor adventure as a backpacker in highschool and carried that mentality through, by necessity, to my first 4x4, which was a 99 CRV as seen in my avatar.

By necessity I most often end up solo, however I enjoy a run with the lads when I can get it.

As slow as possible, as fast as necessary

Favourite is technical rocky dirt, such as on mountain trails with ruts, logs, rocks etc. My least favourite is deep, suctiony, car swallowing mud.

One rig to rule them all.

My favourite is definitely exploring awesome locations. My least favourite is being forced to turn back from a track/destination/route and being prevented from reaching the goal. Sometimes, unfortunately, discretion is the better part of valour.

I would have to say the infamous Spuzzum, BC road sign that sadly no longer exists. It said, "You are now leaving Spuzzum" on both sides lol It's my favourite because it's clever, and because it has such strong nostalgia attached to it for me, hearkening back to childhood road trips with my parents where we would drive into the interior, most often via Hwy 1 because my dad found the Coquihalla boring and didn't want to pay the toll that used to be required.

I don't regret it in the sense that I feel I made the wrong choice, however I really wish we could have visited Anyox, BC on our Kitsault expedition. It would have been epic. Sadly, the motor just wasn't up to the task at the time, and my adventure partner wasn't up for it anyway. Someday, perhaps.

Travelinjohnnie

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Washington Township, NJ 08081, USA
First Name
Bart
Last Name
Whitten
Member #

1. What is your favorite kind of run?
have found so far that 4- 5 days is perfect for enjoying the experience and satisfying the need to be OUT....

2. Do you travel light or heavy?
less is more.... but have found that I seem to need all the gadgets. at the end of the season, it seems that all equipment gets used at least once. IF not.... out it goes

mostly solo

Slow and easy.. in no rush anymore

love the mountains and wide open spaces of the WEST

have a small 9ft trailer that we pull to the camp spots and then can use the TV to run around

favorite part is being able to explore all the wonderful areas this country has to offer... least is ---- the NEED for the latest / greatest new item

any sign the includes.... UNMAINTAINED road

none so far

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Any camping is good camping, but when I have my pick I like to go out for at least 3 or 4 nights and move every day. I love getting to see new sights and cover a lot of this wonderful country (and hopefully others someday as well).

Heavy by Overlanding standards, but light compared to RV'ers. I'm actually working on cutting my kit down, but the reality is I use most of the gear I bring, and the stuff that doesn't get used often is crucial if/when it is needed (tools/spares/recovery gear).

I'm generally solo in my rig (as in no passengers), but part of a group of vehicles. I've also gone out solo-solo (as in just me and one of my rigs) and I enjoy the peace and isolation, but for more than a night or two I prefer some company. It's always nice to have a 2nd rig for safety too (two is one, one is none) so if I'm heading out with a friend that doesn't have a rig I'll have them take one of my other vehicles along too.

"Yes." It all depends on the trip and the group. I mean, I wouldn't say "let 'er rip" really applies to any of my Overlanding. In the sand rail, or RZR sure in the appropriate places. But Overlanding generally it's not appropriate (tread lightly/leave no trace). Still, there are different speeds. When possible I'll go slow and take it all in, get more pictures, etc.. However, sometimes we just have a lot of ground to cover and push harder.

Again, it all depends. For the D'max and FWC I'd say a well-groomed forest road that has a few technical sections to weed out most traffic. In the WJ something far more technical and challenging. For the Xterra IDK, prob about the same as the D'max but not as challenging or technical (SAS and 37"s on the D'max vs. IFS and ~32"s on the X) for the "gatekeepers".

Least favorite, for all 3 it'd be long sections of bad washboard, or even worse staggered chatter bumps that kick the rig side-to-side non-stop. Like you, I also don't like actual mud, mostly because of the cleanup.

So far, all in one. That said, I do intend to tow the WJ to places like Moab with the D'max/FWC and base camp but run the hard trails with the WJ.

My favorite is being out in nature, away from technology/society/work/etc. I'm actually a bit of an extrovert and enjoy being around people, but out in nature is where I find peace. If I can enjoy nature with a small group of likeminded folks that's great. If it's solo, that's great too.

My least favorite, honestly it's hard to think of something. I guess it'd be dealing with stuck situations or breakage, but honestly I kind of like springing into action and finding solutions. I guess if it's dumping rain or the stuck situation is in mud it can suck at the time, but let's face that's where all of our good stories come from.

I always enjoy seeing a "Welcome to Idaho" sign...

Hmmm, I have plenty in life in general, lol. As for Overlanding, I guess I'd say any trip I didn't take but had the opportunity to go on...

-TJ

4x4tripping

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Switzerland
First Name
Heinz
Last Name
Treben

Weekends 1-2 Nights are pretty good.
Long trips 3 Weeks upwards are the best

light

only solo - but sometimes I meet people on my trips (like showed above )

depends, mostly chilled, sometimes racing.
Guess 90% to 10%

closed andean passes

just with one

landscape, nature, seclusion, campfire

"do not pass" -

- I did miss a 40`000km silkroad / transsibiria adventure because of covid /corona

Reactions: rgallant

FishFam_logs

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Livermore, CA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Fisher
1. Not a lot of preference. Been on long 3-5 trips and day runs. Equal in my opinion.
2. Heavy. Most my trips are hardcore wheeling, requiring tools, spares and camping gear. And typically a full family of four with two young ones needing entertainment. So everything from the Nintendo to spare axles. Use the camping/cook stuff regularly. Tools infrequently but don’t leave home without them.
3. Solo with occasional groups of 3-5 rigs on the more difficult stuff.
4. Always slow
5. Sierra slickrock and trees. Hate the mud.
6. Daily commuter, wheeler and family car in one Jeep.
7. Love the isolation. Hate them mosquitoes!
8. Route 66. Traveled it a bit from the coast to east AZ. Fun sights.
9. Not taking the trip to meet my brothers in Moab. Would have been awesome and our only chance to get all rigs together on the trail.