Sailmike

Rank 0

Traveler I

Northridge
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Levin
All those who camp out of trucks with no bathroom, how do you shower without polluting the environment? I’m just looking for ideas. I’m sure there’s many ideas. I’d like to hear them please.

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

Household greywater recycling is promoted as a viable source of water for landscape maintenance and dust control in Texas. Don't discharge soap and runoff into a body of water and don't use so much that you create ponding and unsanitary conditions and you won't have a problem.

Reactions: WrightRunner

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
It's no worse than bathing in a river.

Nature is THE MASTER at breaking down all things. Use Ivory, it's 99 44/100 % pure.

If you're that worried about it, don't use any soap.
Yea really, sometimes all I need after 3 days, is a quick rinse, just to knock the dried sweat off..

ric8271

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Miramar, FL 33027, USA
First Name
Kenton
Last Name
McLaughlin
Member #

Biodegradable products is always the best choice when camping, if possible take it with you and leave nothing behind. I bought also a waterport for a little more water pressure. And a clean waste portable toilet. The showering is good haven’t tested the toilet yet but the idea seems good.

Attachments

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
A nice long 45 minute bath 85' below the surface of the ocean cleans me up really good. Nothing feels cleaner than salt water with some pressure.

If I'm using an outdoor shower, I use a biodegradable camp soap, far away from any rivers or lakes. But I have had some hiking soaps that were lake approved. They were $$$.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
Mostly as said above and take it easy on the soap, in most cases a quick wipe down with a cloth and warm/hot water is enough. And use soap only where needed, small amounts into the ground are not an issue.

Reactions: Ubiety

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

biodegradable wipes. use them on my head, armpits and unmentionables. If I have a water source nearby, nothing like jumping in a lake, river, creek as long as it has less dirt/sediment in it than whats on me to knock the dirt off.

Used these this past weekend. Cheap and effective. I toss them in the fire once dry or pack them out with my regular trash.

Flushable
Breaks down in water
Alcohol free and hypoallergenic
Impregnated with aloe and vitamin E

Sailmike

Rank 0

Traveler I

Northridge
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Levin
biodegradable wipes. use them on my head, armpits and unmentionables. If I have a water source nearby, nothing like jumping in a lake, river, creek as long as it has less dirt/sediment in it than whats on me to knock the dirt off.

Used these this past weekend. Cheap and effective. I toss them in the fire once dry or pack them out with my regular trash.

Flushable
Breaks down in water
Alcohol free and hypoallergenic
Impregnated with aloe and vitamin E

I’ve heard that flushable wipes are a major problem for the city sewage system.

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

"Flushable" is a marketing term for it making it through a toilet fixture. Most aren't sewer or septic tank friendly and cause thousands of sewer system overflows and millions in damages every year. They are surprisingly durable which is unfortunate for the infrastructure.

Dr Bronners liquid soap and hot shower
Great thing is its a great soap for any cleaning, not just showering. My understanding is that it's environmentally safe
I use it all the time at home, also perfect for the trail. A little goes a long way.

Sailmike

Rank 0

Traveler I

Northridge
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Levin
Dr Bronners liquid soap and hot shower
Great thing is its a great soap for any cleaning, not just showering. My understanding is that it's environmentally safe
I use it all the time at home, also perfect for the trail. A little goes a long way.
Thank you for the suggestion.

Shokgoblr

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

PA, USA
First Name
Shok
Last Name
Goblr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ihave1
Flushable wipes is a marketing scheme. Just like biodegradable balloons.