Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

All those who camp out of trucks with no bathroom, how do you shower without polluting the environment? I’m just looking for ideas. I’m sure there’s many ideas. I’d like to hear them please.
You do realize people have been showering/bathing for a very long time, certainly much much much longer than the convenience of indoor plumbing has been around. Why is this all of a sudden an issue?

Louiston

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
N/A
This, and they work amazingly good!

Edit: and Tim, you can warm them up in hot water (prior to opening them) for those cold outings too!

Last edited:
Reactions: Tim

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

This, and they work amazingly good!

The thing I like most about this type of product is you can put them in the fridge, which is extra refreshing on a hot day.

Reactions: Louiston

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

I disagree. Zero issues with my septic system in NY. Zero issues with my plumbing in my 1930's loft buildings plumbing system in Texas either. We thought we had a major issue last year but it turned out our building connection to the city line wasn't blocked, but rather the city line was broken from a tree limb about 6' from our connection. Plumber scoped about 70' of line from two toilets to the street. Clean bill of health. I've been using these since they first came on the market. Just like anything else:

quality of installation of plumbing
age and type of material
septic age
septic pump age and work hours

Offroadnutz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Texas/Missouri
First Name
Steven
Last Name
M
Member #

I disagree. Zero issues with my septic system in NY. Zero issues with my plumbing in my 1930's loft buildings plumbing system in Texas either. We thought we had a major issue last year but it turned out our building connection to the city line wasn't blocked, but rather the city line was broken from a tree limb about 6' from our connection. Plumber scoped about 70' of line from two toilets to the street. Clean bill of health. I've been using these since they first came on the market. Just like anything else:

quality of installation of plumbing
age and type of material
septic age
septic pump age and work hours
I manage 2 wastewater plants in north Texas and can personally attest that these wipes are a menace. They literally cause hundreds of thousands of dollars in maintenance and repair issues and that cost is put on the customer of course.

You do realize people have been showering/bathing for a very long time, certainly much much much longer than the convenience of indoor plumbing has been around. Why is this all of a sudden an issue?
People did a lot of things out of ignorance *including me!. It's just a part of responsible camping, pack it in pack it out, leave it better than you found it, etc

"Even biodegradable soaps, while free of harmful ingredients like parabens and phosphates that hurt wildlife and cause unnatural algae blooms, can damage natural ecosystems if used improperly. They can also affect water quality. (Just ask the guy filling up his water bottle downstream.)

There are a few things that can be done if you want to reduce your impact. Use all soaps sparingly when in the backcountry. Move at least 200 yards away from lakes, rivers and streams before using any soap. Dig a hole six to eight inches deep for dumping soapy water — the bacteria in soil break down the biodegradable ingredients. Pack out all packaging and waste."

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: slomatt

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Leave No Trace advocates for disposing of soap in a cathole (even biodegradable) 200+ feet from water.

Outside has a good article on the subject, and some recommended products.

Personally, I've used Campsuds for years for hands, dishes, showers, etc.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

When the world reached 7 billion in population. When they shut down areas because of people not taking trash out. When lakes die because pollution. You can find a disposable diaper everywhere you can find a bottle or can left behind. Have you seen the back country since this C-19 has hit. Looks as bad, it’s not new people, it’s people that don’t care.
We do have a responsibility to maintain the outdoors. You need about 100 ft feet to filter your soap and all through soil before it hits a waterway. Sorry to bust you stones but geese we need to do a better job with our waste.

Last edited:

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Dip in a stream if available. On board water and "Campsuds" away from water sources. Shower wipes which are basically big baby wipes, those go in the garbage and hauled out.

Those are my preferences in order from most desirable to least. During the cooler times of the year it's basically the shower wipes. It takes a lot of energy to heat water for showering so I don't typically do that, or I grit my teeth and take a speedy shower.

GLOCKer

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Marietta, Georgia, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Battersby
Biodegradable products is always the best choice when camping, if possible take it with you and leave nothing behind. I bought also a waterport for a little more water pressure. And a clean waste portable toilet. The showering is good haven’t tested the toilet yet but the idea seems good.
Can you shoot me a link to that toilette? I'm thinking for my wife to be on board with getting out for a couple of days she will need something like this. LOL

CO_Jeep_Zach

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Fairbanks, AK
First Name
Zach
Last Name
W
Member #

Biodegradable products is always the best choice when camping, if possible take it with you and leave nothing behind. I bought also a waterport for a little more water pressure. And a clean waste portable toilet. The showering is good haven’t tested the toilet yet but the idea seems good.
Can you shoot me a link to that toilette? I'm thinking for my wife to be on board with getting out for a couple of days she will need something like this. LOL

This, or something very similar, is what my wife and I have.

GLOCKer

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Marietta, Georgia, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Battersby

This, or something very similar, is what my wife and I have.
Thanks! That looks to be the ticket. It looks smaller than most portable toilette setups I've seen online.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

cold water, the most polluting part of showering is likely the fossil fuel used to heat the water
or heat the water over the campfire