How do you get weather updates with no cell service?

• HTML tutorial

Kuzi

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Minot, ND, USA
First Name
john
Last Name
Kuziomko
Member #

Just wanted to know what everyone uses to check weather with out cell service? I'll be taking a week trip in bighorn national forest camping at bald mountain campground wy. I don't think I'll have any cell service for week. Would like to know if any bad weather coming while camping.

Reactions: LostInThought

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Just wanted to know what everyone uses to check weather with out cell service? I'll be taking a week trip in bighorn national forest camping at bald mountain campground wy. I don't think I'll have any cell service for week. Would like to know if any bad weather coming while camping.
My Midland GMRS radio can scan 10 weather channels to get weather info. That could be a way!

Kuzi

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Minot, ND, USA
First Name
john
Last Name
Kuziomko
Member #

InReach, Ham radio with preprogrammed weather channels or the midland emergency radio with weather channels seem to work for my adventures.
Which Midland emergency radio do you use? Do you have to program ?

firemen7

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Escondido, CA, USA
First Name
Bud
Last Name
McLaren
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EBY
Service Branch
Firefighter/Paramedi
InReach, Ham radio with preprogrammed weather channels or the midland emergency radio with weather channels seem to work for my adventures.
Which Midland emergency radio do you use? Do you have to program ?
I currently have the E+Ready which is am, fm, weather and can be solar charged, hand cranked or USB charged.

Reactions: terryg

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Using APRS (ham radio) I can get weather reports for my current location or my future destination, for today, tomorrow, 4 days from now. But this does require some infrastructure.
WeatherRadio via my GMRS or ham radio is another good option.
During severe weather I prefer to listen to the local Skywarn weather nets on ham radio (typically if at home I participate, i.e. storm spotting/chasing) but this requires some prep work to know the local repeaters that are used for Skywarn... if any.
And having some weather knowledge helps as well.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
NOAA Weather Radio. Practice listening to it at home before using it to get your weather in the sticks. Some GMRS radios have it, some CBs have it, if you have a HAM radio you can just program the stations in.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Damn, how did we ever survive without weather forecasts? On the farm we just had a barometer. Other than that, you suck your head outside and looked at what was happening.
Exactly, especially living in the mountains the weather changes all the time depending on what side you happen to be on. just go out and enjoy it all.

Kuzi

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Minot, ND, USA
First Name
john
Last Name
Kuziomko
Member #

Damn, how did we ever survive without weather forecasts? On the farm we just had a barometer. Other than that, you suck your head outside and looked at what was happening.
I was just thinking that. When I was younger I would go on trips and there was no cell phones yet so we didn't care. But I'm thinking about not having weather now.

Reactions: LostInThought

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I listen to my inner lizard. If you camp in good spots, high, away from water. with a couple of trees near by you’ll be fine, maybe a day or to late. Purchase good gear that can take the weather. I have seen many stellar sunrises, sunsets, and day after a storm.

JPM78130

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New Braunfels, TX
First Name
Joe
Last Name
McGlothlin
Member #

I was just thinking that. When I was younger I would go on trips and there was no cell phones yet so we didn't care. But I'm thinking about not having weather now.
I used to not care either, until I was camping away from cover once when I saw the flash and heard the bang at the same time. I got a little more weather aware about pop up thunderstorms :)
lightning.PNG

Reactions: FishinCrzy

LostInThought

Rank VI

Influencer I

Dripping Springs, Texas, United States
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Kprotected
Member #

we bought this in georgia to use at our camp sites...figured its what the locals use and it hasn't been wrong yet

View attachment 161612
I lived in Boulder, CO for several years, where they used something similar, except it was a heavy chain instead of a rope and it had a cinder block hanging at the bottom.BoulderWindGauge.jpg

Grindstone

Rank 0

Contributor II

Mustang, OK, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
M
Using APRS (ham radio) I can get weather reports for my current location or my future destination, for today, tomorrow, 4 days from now. But this does require some infrastructure.
WeatherRadio via my GMRS or ham radio is another good option.
During severe weather I prefer to listen to the local Skywarn weather nets on ham radio (typically if at home I participate, i.e. storm spotting/chasing) but this requires some prep work to know the local repeaters that are used for Skywarn... if any.
And having some weather knowledge helps as well.
I have a BF UV5R+. No Ham license, so no tx, but what are some good frequencies to have programmed for weather monitoring? Or a resource to find them? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Boort

Kuzi

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Minot, ND, USA
First Name
john
Last Name
Kuziomko
Member #

Thank you to everyone that answered . I went with The weather radio. It always Surprise me how fast you guys answer when I ask questions. Overland bound is my go-to now for overland / camping questions.

Reactions: Downs and RoarinRow