Launch Member

Influencer I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

I carry mine on my roof rack underneath my Rotopax fuel containers. They use the same mounting pattern as a Rotopax. I have a bolt brand cable lock keyed to my Toyota ignition key that I will put on the keep honest people honest. IMG_0778.JPGIMG_0853.JPG

Salty4Life

Rank V

Pathfinder III

Loxahatchee, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Larsen
Member #

I have a decked drawer system in the bed of my truck. I has the core Trax tie down system.
I took two 6 inch carriage bolts and grinder the head to fit in the core Trax slots, then tighten a nut to secure the bolts. I sack the max Trax and line up the holes with the bolts. Then I use wing nuts to hold them in place

89490EEE-F5B9-40AD-8535-48E1B45C17A8.jpeg

Attachments

Gus2.0

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Ohio
First Name
Samuel
Last Name
August
Member #

I have been mounting my boards on my Jeep hood, it’s easy access and out of the way, also hoods are probably the most wasted space so it works out. Best part is this hood rack doesn’t require any drilling for jeeps, not sure about the hood racks for Toyota’s. A local friend makes these 100% in the USA.

Here’s a link if you are interested

4wd-10.jpg4wd-9.jpg

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

I carry mine on my roof rack underneath my Rotopax fuel containers. They use the same mounting pattern as a Rotopax. I have a bolt brand cable lock keyed to my Toyota ignition key that I will put on the keep honest people honest. View attachment 103258View attachment 103259
@bmwguru

I'd love to see more of how you have your Rack set up. I'm also running an 06 with a similar rack and looking for ideas for how to mount things to it.

Boort

Funmobile

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Yuba City
Member #

Two heavy duty bungee cords, on my roof rack. Inexpensive, easy removed and allows me to change the location, depending on cargo.

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Two heavy duty bungee cords, on my roof rack. Inexpensive, easy removed and allows me to change the location, depending on cargo.
I would consider some inexpensive cam straps (Home Depot has a decent set of four 6’ ones for $9) - even just one. They are more reliable & nearly as easy to use. Bungees go bad with time & exposure. Even my heavy duty rubber bungee that held my shovel to my recovery boards gave up the ghost on the highway one day - super lucky I had a camstrap over the lower shaft or I could have caused both a mess of my roof and a dangerous & destructive event for the traffic behind me. Bungees also don’t fair well in an actual accident.

Reactions: Desert Runner

lucky_strike

Rank III

Contributor I

I have been offroad wheeling for over 50 years all over North America from Mexico to Alaska and have never needed them. I did however use them once in the Sahara Desert. Personally I think the dollars would be better spent elsewhere; maybe a longer tow strap or tire chains. Maybe an extra few days out in the wild.
lift kits, tires and lockers will get you further than maxtrax. nice jeep.

Reactions: MMc

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
No offense intended but I find that some of these mounting methods create big air dams that kill MPG. I try to stay as streamlined as possible, which also helps with security.
What I like about this is the fact your boards are in an otherwise unusable (wasted) space. You could almost put a folding table above your boards for your camp kitchen. Slim, really likes.

Reactions: HUMΛN and RainGoat

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Personally, I never have used or needed them in the last 50 years, but if they help for what you wheel... great. At least you aren't buying them to show off to the Mall crowd, and it is a nice well done way to carry them without the sun/UV cracking them all to pieces in a couple of years.